• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

airsickness drugs at primary

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I've never been airsick, but my first flight in the T-34 I was hurting. I think the combination of nerves, hot weather, bumpy day and not being at controls (IP showing course rules) hurt me. Getting used to flying is big.

Best of luck with training.

torpedo0126

i mean my flying background is limited, but yes that is pretty normal. different sensations affect different people. thats probably why motion sickness is the general term and it is sub-divided into airsickness, seasickess etc.

I know and witnessed several people on cruise who had iron stomachs doing PAs in the T-34 but get violently seasick when we when on the Destroyers.

It seems like most people get over it pretty fast. Then there are some people like me that have a greater adjustment period and then a select few who are incurably airsick.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
stay as cool as possible, and don't think you're going to puke before hand...mind over matter can play a big role in airsickness.

MasterBates

Only time I have ever been sick in a plane was in a T-34 on an IUT flight.

Combination of low altitude bumpies, multiple spins/inverted flight/OCF, and a bleeding ulcer that had not yet been discovered.

Yak in bag "I feel better now" continue flight.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Only time I have ever been sick in a plane was in a T-34 on an IUT flight.

Combination of low altitude bumpies, multiple spins/inverted flight/OCF, and a bleeding ulcer that had not yet been discovered.

Yak in bag "I feel better now" continue flight.

Those IUT flights are painful........we would do two flights a day of spins, OCF, aerobatics. Just felt worn out afterwards....of course I never got actively airsick but did feel meh, on my first one. I get studs all the time now getting airsick, especially during the aerobatic stage, unusual attitudes. The worst I've ever felt was during the OCF flight in T-2C's. I didn't get actively airsick but I felt like dogshit after that one. I've never been actively airsick actually. I use that vagisil baby.

MasterBates

I think that was the least fun part of the Helo-E2C2 transition.

Basically most of the "SUCK" flights of the IUT with no solos. Enough to get a NATOPS-X and leave.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
My first flight in the T-34....I barfed. And cleaned up. The instructor was laughing, so I asked why. He told me he barfed his first 7 flights.

For some, getting used to the movements...inner ear reactions....stomach/gag reflex, etc. is a learning experience not a lot unlike learning how to toss a football or swing a golf club or pour a neat Scotch. Sometimes your body takes time to learn how to do it.

STLEngineer

pilot
...I'm just asking because I'm anticipating having problems and I was just wondering what the program was like.

A lot of airsickness can be mental. Just relax, work on breathing exercises, and keep cool. If you're nervous or worried about puking, it's more likely you will.

torpedo0126

Those IUT flights are painful........we would do two flights a day of spins, OCF, aerobatics. Just felt worn out afterwards....of course I never got actively airsick but did feel meh, on my first one. I get studs all the time now getting airsick, especially during the aerobatic stage, unusual attitudes. The worst I've ever felt was during the OCF flight in T-2C's. I didn't get actively airsick but I felt like dogshit after that one. I've never been actively airsick actually. I use that vagisil baby.

i envy you. its one of the most miserable feelings i've ever had. especially since I enjoy flying...it was such a killjoy when i could feel the sweats coming on which would cause me to start thinking about it.

I got voluntold to Vance, and from what I've heard, you can keep it pretty cold in the T-6 so I'm hoping that helps.

I did feel a lot better after about the 14-15th flight and didn't have a problem after that, but I know with a higher performance aircraft I'll have to go through another long adjustment period.

The encouragement is greatly appreciated.

red_ryder

None
Get that A/C on full ice in your face, not that you could take it by yourself but benadryl would work really well. I hear good things about ginger. Plus you get used to it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
i envy you. its one of the most miserable feelings i've ever had. especially since I enjoy flying...it was such a killjoy when i could feel the sweats coming on which would cause me to start thinking about it.

I got voluntold to Vance, and from what I've heard, you can keep it pretty cold in the T-6 so I'm hoping that helps.

I did feel a lot better after about the 14-15th flight and didn't have a problem after that, but I know with a higher performance aircraft I'll have to go through another long adjustment period.

The encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Hard part for you I think is the anticipation. You are going to have it in the back of you mind that you might puke. Though I've never puked in an aircraft, I've felt bad and I can only imagine have to constantly puke. There is a former T-6 IP with us at 6 and he says the T-6 is so much more comfortable, the air works great that it might very well be a better match for you.

torpedo0126

Hard part for you I think is the anticipation. You are going to have it in the back of you mind that you might puke. Though I've never puked in an aircraft, I've felt bad and I can only imagine have to constantly puke. There is a former T-6 IP with us at 6 and he says the T-6 is so much more comfortable, the air works great that it might very well be a better match for you.

thats good to know. i too have never actually puked in the plane. I've gotten really bad symptoms where i find it hard to concentrate...i'm more concerned about how long it took me to adjust. i just want to enjoy and learn a lot from the first few flights and not be thinking about how terrible i might feel.

i think your absolutely right too...now that I know I'm susceptible its in the back of my head.

torpedo0126

if anyone is interested I found this 6-7 page study about airsickness online. I think it might have been done by the Israeli AF (not sure I have to look at the citations again). It examined physical therapy maneuvers that one can do to themselves to induce vertigo and help them adjust.

the actual purpose of the study was to see if the same results could be produced from these physical therapy exercises as opposed to the expensive spin and puke. its 5 exercises that you do a few times 3 times a day. the exercises produced the same acclimation results as the spin and puke.

there were no actual pictures of the exercises but they were easy to figure out from the text descriptions. I found it pretty interesting. Since most people reading this seem to not have problems I guess it doesn't matter...but if your interesting in reading it PM me.