• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness and Helos

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HSC-25, Joboy has just thrown down the gauntlet.

I'm just impressed with the dedication it must take to be both a student AND work in every student control office, thereby being so tapped in to what's going on.

torpedo0126

i appreciate the advice from everyone. The CO has my back here and regularly comes down to the flight to see how its going (he was a bad airsick case as well in primary). I hate the spin chair. I've done it so much that it doesn't bother me anymore...unfortunately it never really helped me adapt to the plane.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Done every type of flying imaginable I take it?

Nope. But I've certainly gotten a taste of many of the types of flying that usually make people sick (aerobatics, simulators, NVG hops, IMC etc) and I've never been nauseated in the airplane. In fact, when IPs asked me in primary if I had airsickness problems, I answered in much the same way that people took my above post: a challenge. "Oh, really? Well we'll just see if we can change that today". On one or two flights they attempted to make me sick with multiple combo maneuvers and some heavy g pulls, long spins etc. I remember one IP who just ended up making himself passively sick. Hah. I don't think it's "bragging". It's just the way people are built. Some get seasick in the bathtub, and some have never experienced motion sickness in all their life. God knows I didn't need ANOTHER thing working against me in flight school. :icon_tong

Lawman

None
Ive only ever met one guy who had serious problems with airsickness keeping him from flying and that was back in college. Dude had some equalibrium issue that didnt manifest its self till he started flying.

Other than that Ive heard of guys getting sick trying to use the IHADS on the Apache. *insert Firebirds joke here* Used to be they just put you in Scouts or Hawks but not in our current enviroment at Rucker.

I had a bit of nausea when I was doing Instrument sims but never had a problem in the aircraft.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Totally agree- it depends on the person but puking in helos is thankfully rare.

I puked a few times in T-34s (so do most guys) but never in a helicopter. Almost puked in one particular visual sim. Never puked on a destroyer (up to a 45 degree roll) or a big deck gator but badly wanted to puke on a 40' fishing charter/day trip off of Key West. Never puked in a car either (not even a sympathy puke when my little sister puked on me when I was 10). Who knows...

@torpedo- hang in there, it sounds like you'll be just fine in the end.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Nope. But I've certainly gotten a taste of many of the types of flying that usually make people sick (aerobatics, simulators, NVG hops, IMC etc) and I've never been nauseated in the airplane. In fact, when IPs asked me in primary if I had airsickness problems, I answered in much the same way that people took my above post: a challenge. "Oh, really? Well we'll just see if we can change that today". On one or two flights they attempted to make me sick with multiple combo maneuvers and some heavy g pulls, long spins etc. I remember one IP who just ended up making himself passively sick. Hah. I don't think it's "bragging". It's just the way people are built. Some get seasick in the bathtub, and some have never experienced motion sickness in all their life. God knows I didn't need ANOTHER thing working against me in flight school. :icon_tong

Fair enough, I've yet to get sick either but I'm just a "never say never" guy. Watch, you'll get sick doing fcf ground turns some random day!

Lawman

None
Folks at Fort Rucker must have not clue of this puking you all talk about.

Haha.... About a year ago the Aeromed folks had a fun program of putting flight students who both had varying degrees of flight time in the back of a 60 and making them play FS 2000 to see if it was feasible to control UAVs that way. Then they put the Hawk through a series of differing flight envelopes to include NOE flight. A couple of my class mates where in the program. They all left their pride and their shame in barf bags on the flight line.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Come fly in the back of my plane...sideways, with the smell of CADS wafting by...no windows...and some Jackass 3P who doesn't like coordinated turns (me) at the controls...better than any acro...

MasterBates

Or form flights in the back of the E-2 with CAT-1/2s flying.

I've puked 2 times in my time in the Navy.

1 on a IUT flight in the 34, doing weird spins (NOT the ones students do)
2 was in the back of an E-2, after riding in the back for a guys first form flight, followed by 2 hours in the FCLP pattern at NOLF Whitehouse.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Haha.... About a year ago the Aeromed folks had a fun program of putting flight students who both had varying degrees of flight time in the back of a 60 and making them play FS 2000 to see if it was feasible to control UAVs that way. Then they put the Hawk through a series of differing flight envelopes to include NOE flight. A couple of my class mates where in the program. They all left their pride and their shame in barf bags on the flight line.

There was a great article about this test in an issue of Heli-Tac. I am glad I was not one of the test participants!

Lawman

None
There was a great article about this test in an issue of Heli-Tac. I am glad I was not one of the test participants!

One of my classmates was featured in a photo of it blowing chuncks.

Whats funny is how the article demonstrated how terrible an idea it is to try and fly a UAV from a platform as unstable as a helicopter, but they still wont let the idea go.

FlyinRock

I know this has been addressed many times in this forum and is an ongooing problem for some. My wife has a serious problem with motion sickness and as a result I have to sit while she drives and she makes me a nervous wreck.
Several years ago she tried the "Relief Band" which looks like a wrist watch, cost between $70-125 depending on where you get it (ebay?) With it she can ride roller coasters, skydive, fly in helicopters, airplanes, boats and not a problem.