• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness and Helos

torpedo0126

Has anyone with a history of airsickness experienced problems in helos? Specifically the 57?

I have really been struggling with airsickness in primary and came within 2 rides of an elimination ride. I've gotten to the point where I can control it to where I am not active OR choke it back down. Either way I have been pretty miserable. I am most likely going to be rolled back a class or two because I fell behind the syllabus.

If I make it through I am really hoping to select helos (I understand that is presupposing a lot). I have spent about 2-3 hours in a 60B and felt fine, so I am hoping that will be indicative of an easier time.

Sorry if this message is somewhat disorganized....

Appreciate any help!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
My form partner in primary puked just about every flight but finally managed to get it somewhat under control, similar to you. He ended up getting helos and now he flies 53's out of Hawaii. As far as I know he never had an issue once he was in the HT's. Good luck.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I had a terrible case on Fam1&2, it went away after I got meds to acclimate, and I didn't have any trouble through the rest of Primary, including PA's. Though I did get a little green in the back seat of a form solo observer.

I haven't had any problems in the HT's, including the NVD sim where some people have reportedly gotten sick - according to the gouge anyway.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
I had passive airsickness up until my first solo in Primary, and it subsided after that - by contrast, I was only sick in the -57 once (Pulled Pork + Heavy Turbulence). I think you'll be fine if/when you get to helos.

phrogpilot73

I got sick on FAM 3 & one of my PA flights in Primary. I haven't gotten sick in a helo, ever. I still occasionally get queasy in fixed wing aircraft - but never in a helo... More proof that it's god's gift to aviation.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I've only heard of one case where someone got airsick in a helo that was brought up in board situation. The guy was known to have been airsick prone. Happened on goggle brown-out landings. Just flying in a tight pattern over and over and over and getting the visual illusion. But it just happened once. It never became an issue.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've never been sick in a helo, but have seen a few folks get sick, but all of them were from octagon gun patterns on NVDs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A guy I went to school with and was a bit behind me in flight school had a hard time all through Primary. He made it through and got helos, and initially, still had some queasiness in Fams. After that, he made it through and went on to fly HSL (off of small boys) very successfully.

Obviously keep your eyes on the prize, but for now just work day to day. The more you worry about it, the worse it can get. Can you get sick in a helo? Sure. One of my 2Ps yakked doing DLQs (FFG and it's "awesome" exhaust, at night, Pacific in the winter), but it's rare and guys tend to beat the problem in the HTs if they were chronic pukers in VT land.

Gasman

Try chewing gum. It helped me. You're focusing to much on it and believe it or not that hurts you. I don't know if it is psychological but the gum sure made my flying easier.

I like to think of the airsickness as part of the rite of passage into naval aviation.

I got sick in primary as well (mostly PA stuff and during some low-level engine failure work in the mudflats), but never had a problem in advanced (-57), frs (60s), or the fleet.

Just keep pushing - you'll get through it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Back when I was on my 1/c middie cruise I flew with a Tomcat driver who told me he puked uncontrollably until he got to T-2's in intermediate jets. It will go away in time.....I know people here in merids who had problems in primary too with airsickness.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I remember airsickness was a gremlin running rampant in primary. RARELY heard about it in HTs and when I did, it was never active. Maybe once or twice I heard of someone getting queasy, but it was usually compounded by something else, and not the norm. Haven't heard a soul getting sick in the RAG here.

Thank god I am incapable of getting airsick. I really got to hand it to you guys for sticking it out, going flying knowing you're gonna feel like shit and/or puke. Only time I'll get queasy or puke is drinking half a bottle of whiskey on an empty stomach....:watching3

tlord82

pilot
Has anyone with a history of airsickness experienced problems in helos? Specifically the 57?

I have really been struggling with airsickness in primary and came within 2 rides of an elimination ride. I've gotten to the point where I can control it to where I am not active OR choke it back down. Either way I have been pretty miserable. I am most likely going to be rolled back a class or two because I fell behind the syllabus.

If I make it through I am really hoping to select helos (I understand that is presupposing a lot). I have spent about 2-3 hours in a 60B and felt fine, so I am hoping that will be indicative of an easier time.

Sorry if this message is somewhat disorganized....

Appreciate any help!

I'm not a helo driver, but I sure know where you are at right now. I came within one flight of getting booted from primary because of my airsickness. I tried everything and nothing really worked. Finally, I think acclimatization did its job and I made it through. Once I got to Jet advanced, no real problems. Great advice from the guys above: do your best with it day to day, but keep your eyes of that great prize; there's no better motivation.