• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airlines & The Unions: The Classic Love-Hate Relationship:

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4s said:
Despite the fact that these pilots were already being furloughed by Mesaba, management is holding these pilots to a pay-for-training agreement that they signed when they were hired. Some of these pilots have received bills for more than $10,000 (half of their annual salary at Mesaba).
Let me preface first by saying I haven't had any rum n coke. The day is still early though.

Personally, it sounds like cockeyed management to me. "Joe Pilot, we're gonna have to furlough you but under no circumstances can you quit before we do. If you do, you'll be sorry." Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

HOWEVER, if these pilots signed some kind of pay-for-training contract that binds them to flight training costs if they leave before a certain period, then what recourse do they have? Furthermore, why should they have any recourse at all if this is something they agreed to?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
HOWEVER, if these pilots signed some kind of pay-for-training contract that binds them to flight training costs if they leave before a certain period, then what recourse do they have? Furthermore, why should they have any recourse at all if this is something they agreed to?

I bet the repayment plan was a certain amount deducted from monthly pay. I say, when Mesaba puts them back on the pay role then they can start deducting the cost of training again. If Mesaba recalls them and they don't return the airline should take the loss and chalk it up to poor management. The cost of hiring guys you don't need or not responding properly to market forces that ultimately required furloughes. The furloughed pilots are already paying for the downturn in the industry and/or poor managment by losing their jobs. It is only fair that management bear some of the burden as well.

BTW Steve, you are being uncharacteristicly understanding of the pilot perspective here. Maybe its the rum and cokes that turn you in to a mean spirited, dark hearted, ass kicking b@stard? Oh wait...SWO ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Let me preface first by saying I haven't had any rum n coke. ........?
Are you sure ...??? Perhaps you should before posting in the future about the airlines .... :) ... but Wink has a point, you DO show signs of growth ....

Oh, Steve, Steve, Steve .... giddy Steve, pensive Steve, bemused, brainless, bubbleheaded, capricious, careless, changeable, changeful, dizzy, empty-headed, erratic, featherbrained, fickle, flighty, flustered, frivolous, gaga, harebrained, heedless, impulsive, inconstant, irresolute, irresponsible, light-headed, punchy, reckless, reeling, rocky, scatterbrained, skittish, slaphappy, swimming, thoughtless, unbalanced, unsettled, unstable, unsteady, vacillating, volatile, whimsical, whirling, wild, woozy .... SWO Steve. :)

Black-shoe Steve. Our Steve ..... :)

.... Steve 'n Me .... (I'm the big one)

Come here and sit on my lap while I explain it to you .... much, much later, in a far, far away place .... and after some squeezed limes (for me) for sustenance. :icon_rast