• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline forums?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
They might be "helo friendly"...there are some companies out there that are. USA Jet (non-sched cargo out of YIP flying Falcons and DC-9s) and Skywest (regional airline) are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

From Net Jets http://www.netjets.com/footer_content/careers_pilots.asp

To qualify as a NetJets Aviation (Citation, Hawker, Falcon, Gulfstream 200, Boeing aircraft) pilot candidate you must have the following prerequisites:
  • Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (Multi-Engine Land)
  • Current FAA First Class Medical certificate
  • 2500 hours total pilot time
  • 500 hours fixed wing multi-engine time
  • 250 hours instrument time (actual or simulated in flight - excludes simulator time
Most airlines will specifically say whether or not helo time is allowed. Not sure about corporate or fractionals. Since this only says fixed-wing for the multi requirement I'd guess you have a shot. As everyone says, your chances are 0% if you don't apply. If nothing else, call them and ask. There is a phone number for the pilot recrutier listed onthe web page.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Like HAL said, call and ask. I know of a dude that got his ATP on the side and used NFO time to get a fractional gig.. I have heard of some corporate gigs that allow NFO/Helo/Simulator time to plus up... Don't know if you don't ask!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I talk to Net Jet pilots all day long filing them flight plans and such, they have it rough. I think I'd take a regional over Net Jets.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I think I may have mentioned this before.. But I know a couple of dudes that sold Drugs (the legal kind) and drilled on the side to maintain currency.. Phizer and Merc and such were paying good, job was easy and they were getting paid by Navy and their respective company when they were drilling.. They both finally came here but mostly for job security (if that even exists) and so they could really knock down their number of days working.. Good luck again!

In the end it always comes down to the balance of QOL and $$$.. :icon_wink

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The key for military guys who want information on the airlines is to start reading the forums a long time in advance of when they want to actually separate.

As others have said, all the forums are rife with opinion -- educated and uneducated -- and you won't be able to get a straight answer you can outright trust from just about anyone.

The best thing you can do is just start reading and forming your own opinions about all of the issues...for example, union membership, best majors, corporate vs majors, cargo vs passenger, etc. You're basically going to have to read a lot of peoples' opinions OVER TIME to get a good feel for what all sides of the issues are. If you have access to Reservists who also fly/flew for the airlines (I agree that training command is a great place to meet dudes like this), comparing your mental notes from the internet with what they have to say will also help fill in the picture. Remember, the internet seems to attract a certain type of individual which is not always representative of the general population in the real world. In my experience this is also true for the airline pilot crowd -- there are a great many pilots who are not internet junkies and if you just stick to what you read on the forums, you're not getting the whole picture.

Most mil guys I know who have crossed over to the airlines had their ATPs and started applying 1 year out from their separation date. I'd recommend you start hitting the forums and studying up at least a year prior to that.

The good forums (as have all ready been mentioned) are Airline Pilot Central, Flightinfo.com, and ProPilotWorld.

S.O.B.

pilot
His recommendation is to go reserves at the end of this tour to finish the 20 since SW will supposedly still be in their hiring boom. I'm just not sure what to do right now.

When you get out prior to 20 an go reserves, when do you receive retirement? Say you get out at 17 years but accumulate three years in the reserves do you get your retirement immediately?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
When you get out prior to 20 an go reserves, when do you receive retirement? Say you get out at 17 years but accumulate three years in the reserves do you get your retirement immediately?

Unless you retire on active duty, you don't get paid until age 60.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Unless you retire on active duty, you don't get paid until age 60.

However, there is a push to get that changed to Age 55.. Also you can drill till your 60th B-Day if you so choose.. It does get hard to stay in flying billet after you make O-5 but there are still lots of opportunities out there.. And if you have an airline job it makes travelling for one weekend a month not too bad..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
However, there is a push to get that changed to Age 55.. Also you can drill till your 60th B-Day if you so choose.. It does get hard to stay in flying billet after you make O-5 but there are still lots of opportunities out there.. And if you have an airline job it makes travelling for one weekend a month not too bad..
I only WISH it had been 55 and fly (and collect retired pay) .... oh, well.

And you think an airline job and simo-Reserving it makes life good??? :) I suppose it can in some instances, but:

When I was flying Adversary @ NAS DALLAS for 5-10 days a month (including transit), living on the left coast, instructing every other month at home plate, flying the Orient @ half of every month while maintaining currency in four (4) airplanes -- two Navy and two airline -- quality of life was just an illusion ... and all I wanted to do on my "free time" was: :sleep_125

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I only WISH it had been 55 and fly (and collect retired pay) .... oh, well.

And you think an airline job and simo-Reserving it makes life good??? :) I suppose it can in some instances, but:

When I was flying Adversary @ NAS DALLAS for 5-10 days a month (including transit), living on the left coast, instructing every other month at home plate, flying the Orient @ half of every month while maintaining currency in four (4) airplanes -- two Navy and two airline -- quality of life was just an illusion ... and all I wanted to do on my "free time" was: :sleep_125

I Understand.. I am just informing.. I don't drill anymore... IRR for me... So QOL is good.. However lots of folks I know still drilling are dropping alot of trips with mil leave so they are still working only 2 weeks a month... Commuting to anything is tough, regardless... All that currency.. Way to much work for me... That is why I am your average joe line guy.. Well except I live in domicile and only bid reserve... 156:59 hours year to date w/ 1 open time pickup per month... Like the quick KSHV out and back that I did this morning... TAFB 6:09

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
And you think an airline job and simo-Reserving it makes life good???

Oops didn't answer this one.. Not good just FREE except for time... When I was drilling at PERS, 90% were not airline folks, about 25% lived locally and the rest were paying out of pocket to make drill weekend.. The CO came in from west coast on own dollar... They only pay for airfare when it is for AT/ADSW/ADT and such not for IDTs... Oh.. Some did drive from as far away as VA.. Crazy, if you ask me..