• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline aircrew wearing military wings

TXSooner07

None
So, my mom (a flight attendant for a major airline) said to me the other day that it's common for them to wear wings of sons/daughters who fly in the military. Has anyone on here ever heard of that? I don't even have wings yet myself but she's retiring soon so I figured it would be OK. Thoughts?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, my mom (a flight attendant for a major airline) said to me the other day that it's common for them to wear wings of sons/daughters who fly in the military. Has anyone on here ever heard of that? I don't even have wings yet myself but she's retiring soon so I figured it would be OK. Thoughts?

Getting a pair of 'sweetheart' wings for a necklace is pretty common and I imagine some might wear the miniature uniform wings also but if you haven't earned your wings yet it isn't kosher to give a gift of the wings you may or may not earn sooner or later, 'sweetheart' wings included.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've seen them wear the miniature wings. Never seen one wear fullo size.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Getting a pair of 'sweetheart' wings for a necklace is pretty common and I imagine some might wear the miniature uniform wings also but if you haven't earned your wings yet it isn't kosher to give a gift of the wings you may or may not earn sooner or later, 'sweetheart' wings included.

This is quite true. But dont forget that brown boots and leather jackets are both A-OK to give as gifts. And, if you're Navy she can smash the back of her hat down, too. Seriously, maybe an officer crest might be a better choice at this point.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I've seen them wear the miniature wings. Never seen one wear fullo size.

What Hal said... Actually everybody I know are wearing the ones they earned. The only exception, I have seen is a Chief (maybe Senior, can't remember exactly) emblem I know a crewmember wears for his brother on his tie.

81montedriver

pilot

Remember, at no point in flight school does anyone say, "Once you start flight training, wings are guaranteed."

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
What Hal said... Actually everybody I know are wearing the ones they earned. The only exception, I have seen is a Chief (maybe Senior, can't remember exactly) emblem I know a crewmember wears for his brother on his tie.
Full sized or as a lapel pin? Don't you have FedEx wings you have to wear?

TXSooner07

None
Remember, at no point in flight school does anyone say, "Once you start flight training, wings are guaranteed."
Completely understand. I'm not saying it would be full size wings, just mini ones she could wear on her uniform for the next 10 months until she retires. I've seen plenty of very capable people that have been shown the door over the past year so I understand that these have to be earned.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completely understand. I'm not saying it would be full size wings, just mini ones she could wear on her uniform for the next 10 months until she retires. I've seen plenty of very capable people that have been shown the door over the past year so I understand that these have to be earned.
I, for one, see no problem with her wearing mini-wings in honor of you being in the pipeline. Flight student's GFs & Fiancees have been sporting them for many years, why not a proud Mom? As for regulation gold wings... that'd be a no no, IMHO.:cool:
BzB

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I, for one, see no problem with her wearing mini-wings in honor of you being in the pipeline. Flight student's GFs & Fiancees have been sporting them for many years, why not a proud Mom? As for regulation gold wings... that'd be a no no, IMHO.:cool:
BzB

While I don't disagree with the intent, I believe the mini-wings we are referring to are regulation for the dinner dress uniforms. If both the full size and mini wings are regulation, why does it matter? (*Not talking about wings made as part of a necklace, earrings, etc.)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Full sized or as a lapel pin? Don't you have FedEx wings you have to wear?

Mostly mini wings.. A few full sized.. And the Chief emblem is full sized... Most of us now wear a North Face parka that has no wings.. FedEx leather tag on the leather coat and of course FedEx wings on the 'dress' jacket. And nothing on the shirt.. I would say about 50 out of 4500ish pilots wear the dress jacket, about half the leather and the rest of us the parka. Make sense?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I don't disagree with the intent, I believe the mini-wings we are referring to are regulation for the dinner dress uniforms. If both the full size and mini wings are regulation, why does it matter? (*Not talking about wings made as part of a necklace, earrings, etc.)
The mini-wings of which I speak, are the "teeny weenies" usually worn on a lapel or as a tie tack, but never on a regulation uniform. So let me then describe them as "mini-mini wings"... cool with that?;)
BzB

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Mostly mini wings.. A few full sized.. And the Chief emblem is full sized... Most of us now wear a North Face parka that has no wings.. FedEx leather tag on the leather coat and of course FedEx wings on the 'dress' jacket. And nothing on the shirt.. I would say about 50 out of 4500ish pilots wear the dress jacket, about half the leather and the rest of us the parka. Make sense?

Nah, but I've had alot of Crown.