• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Have you read the history of where Age 60 came from - and why and how it was determined???? Also, ALPA's original position was against it, only until lobbying from the unions at the major airlines decided they liked it. I'm betting the airlines are going to want to continue Age 60 but now that Defined Benefit plans are going away in favor of 401ks, you will see the unions push for the repeal of Age 60.

46Driver

Independence is the re-invention of Atlantic Coast Airlines - we fed UAL and DAL. (Never worked for Chatauqua). Our first flight was June 16th - we are hubbed at Washington Dulles. We have gotten rid of all the J-41 turboprops and will be getting rid of all the DoJets as well. We currently have 87 CRJ's and are getting (I think) 33 Airbus A-319's with options for roughly another 50. I really got lucky here - in the middle of the seniority roster for a brand new LCC. (and hired with just 226 hours of fixed wing time....)

The DoJet is a GREAT plane to fly. From what I understand, its the fastest climbing airliner to 10,000 before the straight wing slows it down. (Max weight of 34,524 but over 12,000 lbs of thrust). Top speed is slow 300 knots or MACH 0.66 due to both a Mach Tuck and structural integrity of the tail. Landing speed is also really slow - sometimes around 102-110 knots. Avionics are top notch (Primus 2000) with full LNAV/VNAV, FADEC and all glass - only thing missing are auto-throttles. However, the DoJet eats the Pratt & Whitney 306B's turbofans like candy and we have some problems with some of the French electrical parts (a 1VE panel). The customers love riding in it but it is just not reliable enough.

How about you?

46Driver

The thing about the age 60 rule is the hypocrasy. It is ok to fly corporate, it is ok to fly fractional, it is ok to fly checks, it is ok to fly helicopters to oil rigs all beyond age 60 - age 60 only applies to Part 121 operations. Out of all of the above, it applies to the easiest one which is flying in the airlines.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
46Driver said:
The thing about the age 60 rule is the hypocrasy. It is ok to fly corporate, it is ok to fly fractional, it is ok to fly checks, it is ok to fly helicopters to oil rigs all beyond age 60 - age 60 only applies to Part 121 operations. Out of all of the above, it applies to the easiest one which is flying in the airlines.

alot of what you guys are talking about is completely greco to me.. but from what you said above, flying airlines is the one that involves the lives of several hundred people. no??

also, you gave me a question that i had never thought about before. how often do the airlines take up an empty jet for test flights?

TargetInSight

Well said LugginJugs! I hear you on that one! Glad to see I'm not insane for wanting "anything that flies, preferably with ability to shoot at things."

And on that note:

Who cares.. being a bus driver is a damn good job compared to the rest of the world.

And hopefully its a bus with rockets, missles, guns... Uh oh I'm drooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.