• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Slot Question

rock4459

Hello, I have been selected for PLC-C 195 this summer with a ground contract. Whne I applied in late october, my OSO told me that he had only one air contract left, and there were 8 guys going for it. Since i didn't get it, i did get a ground. Anyways, he told me after completion of PLC, that i could switch over to an air contract with no problem.

My scores were 6/6/6
and my last PFT score was 284

What do you guys think about this? Has anyone had anything like this happen, or know anyone in this situation?

Thanks guys

Cody

USMC_NA

Here's the deal, you have all the cards. You are a civilian who has not signed a request for commission. Until you do, they don't own you. As soon as they do, anything that's not guaranteed will be long forgotten. Understand, your OSO is a salesman. His job is to put bodies into slots. If he doesn't (meaning you don't accept your commission), then it doesn't look good on his fit-rep. So make sure he understands that you will not accept your commission unless you get what you want. Now, yes he's correct. I did the exact same thing. Every month your OSO gets a request for X number of SNA's. If you demand it, you will get it. Your PFT has nothing to do with it. You either made the cut or not on your ASTB and it looks like you did.

Lonestar155

is good to go
No one in my district even applied for pilot. All ground guys. I was the lone soldier. Sounds like stiff competition over in your area.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
You're ASTB scores speak for themselves, sometimes you gotta get firm with your OSO. My buddy did the exact same thing after completing juniors... you should be good as long as you stay on your OSO. Every time he thinks SNA, your name should pop into his head.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I'm curious about how much of your acceptance to an air slot has to do with your OSO's opinion, versus your stats and so on. Anyone have insight into this?

rock4459

Thanks

Thanks for the insight guys, im really wanting that air slot. Hope to see you guys out there some day :icon_mi_1

-Cody

rock4459

What makes you say this ArkhamAsylum? Do you know anyone that went this route and ended up not getting an air slot? Thanks.

Cody

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
There are 2 ways to go ground-to-air.
1. Prior to commissioning, change your contract with the OSO. HQMC gives each OSS air slot quotas, which he usually fills with incoming candidates. For him to give you one of those slots, he'd have to take that chance away from a new guy. Granted, each OSO operates a bit differently, and he might think that you (as a "salty" candidate) deserve that slot over someone else, but that's something that only the OSO can decide.
2. During TBS, air slots often open up from guys DOR/NPQ/attriting from flight training. Now, in a company of 200-300 2ndLt's, 1-5 (average) air slots just opened up. As you can imagine, they are quite competitive, and there are many threads on the forum detailing how to compete for them.
3. A select few Marines "know" somebody in a high place that may recommend/approve a "lateral move" to a new MOS, namely flight student. Unless you are related to a Colonel or above, this is probably not an option for you.

As far as knowing guys who didn't get that air slot they wanted, yes, I personally know several who tried each route I described above and failed. There are countless others on this forum that are in the process and will likely not succeed. Almost all of them had/have one thing in common: their OSO told them that they'd be able to pick up that air slot with no problem.

The bottom line is, you are encouraged to try, but if you don't get to be a pilot, are you still willing to <sniff> be a Marine Officer</sniff>?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
What makes you say this ArkhamAsylum? Do you know anyone that went this route and ended up not getting an air slot? Thanks.

Cody

I second what Arkham said...I know of many who tried and didn't get their air contract...the only guarenteed way is to get it through your OSO prior to commissioning...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
AA really does say it best. I think its safe to say that if you don't go into the program with an air contract, you more than likely will not get one. He lays out some great points up there that should be taken to heart. Like Cavrone said, it has nothing to do with your ASTB scores. Some of the more seasoned aviators on here might be able to explain the ASTB and its necessity, but since I took mine a hell of a long time ago, I never heard a word about my scores since. You are going to have to push and push damn hard to make sure you get your OSO to switch you over to air before you commission. Like I said, if you can't do it you have to make the choice if you want to be on the ground or pass on the commission. Best of luck, I hope it all works out.

Trev82

pilot
My OSO immediately asked me what i was going for i told her SNA she kind of gave me grief b/c if i want to be a Marine i should want to be a Marine no matter if its ground, nfo, or sna.....everytime i suggest that i'm really pushing for SNA she makes me feel as though i don't want to be a Marine i just want to be a pilot. That couldn't be farther from the truth, is it so bad for me to apply only for SNA, she is encouraging me to apply for all three. I'm from San Diego and am applying for the oct class of 07 anbody have any suggestions on what i should do and if i SHOULD apply for all three???