• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Medals and the point system

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In Viet Nam we were awarded two points for a combat flight during which we took fire, and one point for a combat flight during which we shot, but took no return fire. Obviously, there was a wide divergence in how these points were tallied. Some guys had such good eyes that they were able to see hostile fire on every flight. After a while, I think the squadron tried to simplify things by coming up with a random formula. Twenty points were needed for a Strike/Flight Air Medal.

We were also eligible for Single Action Air Medals. These were always given with a "Combat V". This Combat V could also be awarded with Navy Commendation Medals.

The same general awards criteria were still used in OSW, ONW and OIF. The more things change......

This has been going on for a long time, you can find the same disputes as long as we have had medals for valor and bravery. Just look up Lyndon B. Johnson/Silver Star and Douglas MacArthur/Medal of Honor.

navy09

None
Just look up Lyndon B. Johnson/Silver Star and Douglas MacArthur/Medal of Honor.

Just did- interesting. Does that have more to do with the rank = higher awards argument some mentioned or is it more telling of the criteria for that time period?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just did- interesting. Does that have more to do with the rank = higher awards argument some mentioned or is it more telling of the criteria for that time period?

A mix of both, Johnson almost solely because he was a Congressman at the time and MacArthur was more of a larger 'moral-boosting' move after the fall of the Philippines.

If you look back further to World War I, the first major conflict in which many of the current medals for valor and bravery were awarded, many of the higher ranking officers were decorated with multiple awards of medals like the Distingushed Service Cross and Silver Star. While many were well-earned when you look at some of the numbers you get the feeling there was some inflation back then too.

BlkPny

pilot
The Republic of South Viet Nam notified the squadron that they would be presenting a several of us with their Cross of Gallantry awards. They come in three levels; Bronze, Silver, and Gold, representing corps, army, and national, or something like that. They were allocated by rank, with the higher rank getting the higher level, even though it was for the same mission, and we all took turns flying front/rear seat, lead/wing, etc.

When questioned about this by our Ops O, they replied "Its is recognized that the younger, more junior officers will have more time in the future to earn higher awards".

I guess that's how its done.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Was standing watch yesterday and an IP was telling a group of us about a stud that got awarded an air medal for simply landing a jet (from the back seat) after his IP was killed/knocked out/mamed by a birdstrike in the front.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
A paycheck, slap on the back, and the story shared over a glass of oat soda is worth more than the air medal. Air medals don't teach, stories do. Beware of the Air Medal point keepers on cruise, they will be the likely knife in your back threat. Also watch out for the folks that scramble for the "all read board" or "secret message board" when the XO walks in the RR. Buddy is half the phrase.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Also watch out for the folks that scramble for the "all read board" or "secret message board" when the XO walks in the RR. Buddy is half the phrase.
Boy ... is that no shit, or what ??? There's assholes and ass-kissers -- and they generally tend to become one & the same when on cruise ...

Some things just never change ... :)

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
after all, Air Medals seem to be the medals they hand out if you really just did your job...

This is true. On my last deployment in 2006, every sortie overland was green ink, and a point. So, 20 flights=20 points=Strike/Flight Air Medal. I recall one flight where we took off, had a birdstrike, and landed. We had the aircraft looked at, it was fine, and we took off again 20 minutes later. This resulted in 2 green "flights" and therefore contributed to an Air Medal. I also have friends who have been sent back out to Iraq since then on a few dets, and over the past 2 years or so, have been awarded up to 8 Air Medals each :eek: So yeah, my point is, I agree that these things are just being given away.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boy ... is that no shit, or what ??? There's assholes and ass-kissers -- and they generally tend to become one & the same when on cruise ...

Some things just never change ... :)

A4's mantra rings true.

It's a byproduct of human nature. Sometimes you never know how people will really perfrom until balloon goes up. Some people strive for ribbons/medals with leasty exposure. Others don't want to be exposured to danger at all or see it everywhere. Some turn in their wings, some become seagulls stuck on their roost.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It's a byproduct of human nature. Sometimes you never know how people will really perfrom until balloon goes up. Some people stive for ribbons/medals with leasty exposure. Others don't want to be exposured to danger at all or see it everywhere. Some turn in their wings, some become seagulls stuck on their roost.

Exactly. I was surprised at how people reacted including my old sim partner who turned in his wings during desert shield on Connie. Never thought he was the sort that would have done it.

taz954

You don't necessarily have to be in country to receive an Air Medal. We have a couple of IPs in the HTs who've earned one for saving the lives of the aircrew after an engine failure in flight.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't necessarily have to be in country to receive an Air Medal. We have a couple of IPs in the HTs who've earned one for saving the lives of the aircrew after an engine failure in flight.

Thet has already been addressed on this thread with the descriptions of the two types of Air Medal. Scroll up.