• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall the side door on the cobra (ammo door I guess) was purpose built as an emergency rescue seat.

View attachment 36668

Apache-style…

View attachment 36669
The Ammo Bay Door on the original Cobras was actually a work stand, so it could handle a couple seated dudes just fine. After riding there became of thing in Vietnam, it may have become a recognized evac seat and maybe even improved for that use.

jmcquate

Contributor
Are they mandatory? What exactly qualifies one for the wearing of those patches? Timmy the seaman is assigned a submarine, he wear NUKES? Airman Admin on an alert missile crew wear ICBM? And if it is just people with the qual chest device like dolphins or aviator wings, what's the point?
Having seen a CBRN and SCI today, I'm guessing they may be agency specific. I guess I could just ask.

HuggyU2

None
Damn near everyone has a patch now.
As a guy who retired in 2014, and came back 2 year ago, "the patch" thing was... interesting. That said, it grew on me. A lot.

When I go out to the flightline, I see a lot of faces... and the patch helps remind me which ones work where... which further reminds me about "who they are" (since I don't see them that often), and helps me make a more personal connection with them.

As long as it doesn't get over the top, I think I like it. The badges everyone wears in the AF on their left breast are impossible to decipher... and simply putting what they do on these new patches allows illiterate pilots like me to appear smarter.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As a guy who retired in 2014, and came back 2 year ago, "the patch" thing was... interesting. That said, it grew on me. A lot.

When I go out to the flightline, I see a lot of faces... and the patch helps remind me which ones work where... which further reminds me about "who they are" (since I don't see them that often), and helps me make a more personal connection with them.

As long as it doesn't get over the top, I think I like it. The badges everyone wears in the AF on their left breast are impossible to decipher... and simply putting what they do on these new patches allows illiterate pilots like me to appear smarter.
No different than flight deck color jerseys/vests. ?????. In a room full of people in a briefing - and everyone is wearing OCP, its easy to see who does what.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Yeah, I get it, I just think it was unnecessary. When I’ve needed maintenance support on the flight line, I always asked my crew chief and he’s called the correct support troop. In the Navy it was DEMOT with the appropriate number of fingers held up.

And while they’ve only been out for a year or so, I’ve yet to be in a situation where I needed a troop and had to rely on the tag on their sleeve to find who I needed. Need PA? He’s probably the guy with the cameras. Mx? It’s that dude wearing the grease stained OCPs. It sort of feels like the ground pounder response to aircrew wearing flight suits and pen tabs.

In the end, the young airmen like them though so really I’m just the old dude yelling at a cloud.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I'm not going to read 14 pages even though I'm sure they're entertaining as hell. I guess I did read far enough to get to "the paragraph". Funny.

Someone explained the difference between flying USAF and US NAVY to me as follows:

When in the Air Force, if "the rules" don't say you can do it, assume you can't.
When in The Navy, if "the rules" don't say you can do it, assume you can.

Not sure if that holds true anymore as it was getting pretty F'ing micro before I left.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
When in the Air Force, if "the rules" don't say you can do it, assume you can't.

Not sure if that holds true anymore as it was getting pretty F'ing micro before I left.
Yeah, not so much anymore.

People always ask me which is better, flying with the AF or flying with the Navy. I just reply that the grass isn't greener, it's just a different shade of green.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'm not going to read 14 pages even though I'm sure they're entertaining as hell. I guess I did read far enough to get to "the paragraph". Funny.

Someone explained the difference between flying USAF and US NAVY to me as follows:

Wasn't true by the time I left the USN in early 2020. Unfortunately, micromanagement has won the day.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Completing the pre-coourse study for Advanced Instrument School this coming week (in OK City) - and one of the interesting points is contrasting IFR filing regs in AF vs Navy - cofified in AFMAN 11-202V3 and OPNAV 3710.7... the figures are attached for your enjoyment and comparison.

From OPNAV 3710.7:

1670170908651.png

and its compative table in AFMAN 11-202V3

1670170958389.png

and this does not include additional AF guidance at MAJCOM level, unit and type level ....

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Completing the pre-coourse study for Advanced Instrument School this coming week (in OK City) - and one of the interesting points is contrasting IFR filing regs in AF vs Navy - cofified in AFMAN 11-202V3 and OPNAV 3710.7... the figures are attached for your enjoyment and comparison.

From OPNAV 3710.7:

View attachment 36965

and its compative table in AFMAN 11-202V3

View attachment 36966

and this does not include additional AF guidance at MAJCOM level, unit and type level ....
Have you heard of PWC minimums? It’s a single seat thing the AF does that sets higher than absolute mins based on time in the aircraft. Adds yet another layer to flight planning.