• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I am 1/2 to 3/4 joking…I’m not really talking about “insignia” but the use of Velcro patches on sleeves and similar things. Don’t get me wrong, I love bling as much as the next fellow but these are official uniforms. The admiral @ChuckMK23 mentioned already shows some remarkable professional accomplishments with his dolphins other pin but the Nukes patch? I get MP and maybe MEDIC but EOD? Or, maybe, I am simply confusing the issue and should be asking…Why is a US Navy submarine admiral wearing a battlefield uniform?

That other pin is the Deep Submergence insignia. It's pretty cool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Submergence_insignia

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am 1/2 to 3/4 joking…I’m not really talking about “insignia” but the use of Velcro patches on sleeves and similar things. Don’t get me wrong, I love bling as much as the next fellow but these are official uniforms. The admiral @ChuckMK23 mentioned already shows some remarkable professional accomplishments with his dolphins other pin but the Nukes patch? I get MP and maybe MEDIC but EOD? Or, maybe, I am simply confusing the issue and should be asking…Why is a US Navy submarine admiral wearing a battlefield uniform?
@Griz882 the NWU green camo uniform is the Navy universal Uniform Of The Day now. Khakis, while still a thing are rarely worn now I'm told. So flight suits or NWU for pilots. I've seen many an officer come into my Starbucks on the way to reserve weekend at the local NOSC. Kahkis simply aren't worn anymore. I was surprised.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
And everybody is better off for it. Can’t think of a single JO who wakes up and thinks “Man, this flight suit really sucks. I really wish everybody wore khakis instead on non-fly days.” ?
Fine…why can’t he wear his submarine jumper? When do you guys expect to assault any enemy territory? I think you guys would look more “warrior-like” wore bump-helmets and sidearms in public as well.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Fine…why can’t he wear his submarine jumper? When do you guys expect to assault any enemy territory? I think you guys would look more “warrior-like” wore bump-helmets and sidearms in public as well.
I will agree that type IIIs are dumb unless you’re in some sort of NSW community. I say let the bubbleheads and SWOs wear their coveralls off base and make them an equivalent working uniform to flight suits. They’re just another form of pajamas anyways.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I will agree that type IIIs are dumb unless you’re in some sort of NSW community. I say let the bubbleheads and SWOs wear their coveralls off base and make them an equivalent working uniform to flight suits. They’re just another form of pajamas anyways.
Feast your eyes on the 2POC coming soon. Just kill the boot-blousing and they’ll have an on/off-base working uniform that should survive years of uniform boards.

1667825641618.jpeg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah kill the bloused boots - but honestly it doesnt look bad - and a nice nod to tradition. Comfortable chukka style boots would be good to go.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah kill the bloused boots - but honestly it doesnt look bad - and a nice nod to tradition. Comfortable chukka style boots would be good to go.
That and the in-out sleeve fold. We used to have to do it and it was ridiculously uncomfortable and most newbs couldn’t get it right. On a positive the rank placement means I still get a pass if I stare at large breasted female sailors!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't seen the a NUKES patch yet, but have seen ICBM and EOD.
Are they mandatory? What exactly qualifies one for the wearing of those patches? Timmy the seaman is assigned a submarine, he wear NUKES? Airman Admin on an alert missile crew wear ICBM? And if it is just people with the qual chest device like dolphins or aviator wings, what's the point?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Are they mandatory? What exactly qualifies one for the wearing of those patches? Timmy the seaman is assigned a submarine, he wear NUKES? Airman Admin on an alert missile crew wear ICBM? And if it is just people with the qual chest device like dolphins or aviator wings, what's the point?
Welcome to the questions I had when the Air Force started this a year or so ago. Damn near everyone has a patch now.