• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

hdr777

pilot
My kid graduated with 65 hours in the T-6 and 72 hours in the T-1 during the 52 week AF UPT course.
Seems fairly similiar to Navy for t6's, I had about 50 in the t44 and 100 in the t45, but spread out over 3ish years
My impression is there was a lot less emphasis on formation than I remember.
I felt like t6 was more an exposure to form, we got a lot more and actualy got comfortable flying form in the 45

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I winged in 2014 with about 75 hours in the T6B and 125 hours in the TH-57. That was over a span of about 16 months.

That's not that far off from the T-34 syllabus, as well. I had 110 hours out of the VTs, but I also did all my Primary RI sims in the aircraft, so that boosted my numbers.

@HuggyU2 I don't know which track the T-1 syllabus is, but 60 hours isn't a big number so I can understand your trepidation. Then again, to learn to fly the -60B, I had 60-ish hours, but there was a lot of sim time on top of that. I think the -60R flight time is about the same for a CAT 1...maybe plus a couple for the TAC flights.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Makes sense. I found the "almost non-existent" to be pretty sweeping, but my only experience was orange and white land.
In the current climate/situation, yes. Not speaking historical. Double especially for anyone who has a diversity attribute.

MGoBrew11

pilot
That's not that far off from the T-34 syllabus, as well. I had 110 hours out of the VTs, but I also did all my Primary RI sims in the aircraft, so that boosted my numbers.

@HuggyU2 I don't know which track the T-1 syllabus is, but 60 hours isn't a big number so I can understand your trepidation. Then again, to learn to fly the -60B, I had 60-ish hours, but there was a lot of sim time on top of that. I think the -60R flight time is about the same for a CAT 1...maybe plus a couple for the TAC flights.
Not much has changed @Gatordev. CAT I -60R syllabus is still roughly 60 hours. The bulk of tactics is done in the sim.

HuggyU2

None
In the current climate/situation, yes. Not speaking historical. Double especially for anyone who has a diversity attribute.
You're not wrong.

Back in 2020, UPT tried and "America's Class" of students. IIRC, it had around 8 women and 8 minorities out of about 28 students. The goal was to see if this would change anything.

I don't know how it worked out and I don't know if they are still doing something similar.

The previous Chief had some comments of note back in 2018: https://www.airforcemag.com/Goldfein-Solutions-for-the-Pilot-Crisis-Center-on-Diversity/

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
No clue. But I hope not. Too many pilots can "fly instruments" and can't "fly" worth a shit.

My impression is there was a lot less emphasis on formation than I remember.

How many hours was it prior? Did your son get a lot of simulator time? Sorry for all the questions, pretty curious about this

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You're not wrong.

Back in 2020, UPT tried and "America's Class" of students. IIRC, it had around 8 women and 8 minorities out of about 28 students. The goal was to see if this would change anything.

I don't know how it worked out and I don't know if they are still doing something similar.

The previous Chief had some comments of note back in 2018: https://www.airforcemag.com/Goldfein-Solutions-for-the-Pilot-Crisis-Center-on-Diversity/
@HuggyU2 I am in Columbus, Indiana this week with 35 active duty AF E-3, 4, 5's (all with 4 year degrees) and 1/2 Lt, Capt's from non pilot career fields. All these folks have already applied to OTS / UPT and did not make the cut. These youngsters will get 10+ hours of dual instruction in a CAP Cessna + a full FAR compliant ground school signed off by CFI's. AETC funded Red Bird training devices are also on-site. After completion, AETC advisors will assist with reapplication and 90% of these people will get OTS (if they are E's) and UPT. The CFI's ae almost exclusively retired AF types and are proudly passionate volunteers.

Last edited:

HuggyU2

None
What do you expect to learn from cones?
Haha... enough to make a difference on whether they get hired in the unit.

My kid is a Guardsman, a prior Navigator, and has been commissioned almost 8 years. There are a few IP's that will never be invited to that Guard unit. And at least one that will get a sterling letter of recommendation.

Don't piss off a Guard cone.

croakerfish

pilot
Haha... enough to make a difference on whether they get hired in the unit.

My kid is a Guardsman, a prior Navigator, and has been commissioned almost 8 years. There are a few IP's that will never be invited to that Guard unit. And at least one that will get a sterling letter of recommendation.

Don't piss off a Guard cone.
Dear God. Better not hurt some kid’s fee-fees too much while I teach him how to not kill himself. Is there something I’m missing?

HuggyU2

None
Is there something I’m missing?
As a matter of fact, there is.

Just because you're my "instructor pilot" does not mean you are someone I want in my unit for the next 10+ years.
And just because you flew with me... and "taught me"... doesn't mean I want you in my unit for the next 10+ years.

The Guard unit invested in the lowly "cone". In this case, Huggy Junior has been there almost 8 years. Oftentimes, a Guard 2Lt was enlisted in that unit for many years prior to their commissioning. Like it or not, their squadron puts weight on what they think about you, Mr (or Miss) IP.

The pilot training arena has a lot of IP's. Some of them are assholes. If you're one of them, then don't expect to get rave reviews from the students you fly with.

As the Chief Interview Pilot for the U-2 for many years, I dealt with this sort of thing a lot. And there were lot of people that didn't get the interview because... well... their street cred sucked. For a variety of reasons. On rare occasions, they make it to the interview and we figure out they are someone that really won't fit in well with us and our mission. In some cases, I knew the person from a past life... and wanted nothing to do with them.

Maybe my "fee-fees" were hurt. Or maybe the pilot in question was rude / unprofessional / immature / shitty pilot / shitty communicator / no fun / no-load-didn't-pull-their-own-weight /a lack of social skills douchebag.

Irrespective of the reason... they never got an opportunity. We take about 16 pilots a year, so finding a quality applicant isn't too hard. When it comes to an interviewee... "if there's doubt, then there's no doubt".

Guard units also have an interview process. And Guard units take on a lot less than 16 pilots per year. But Johnston & Murphy needs shoe clerks, so try there.

Cry me a river.

Last edited: