• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air force ROTC vs. Naval ROTC

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I honestly thought the number of flight hours is small, especially for a fighter jet seat. I don't know how much Navy guys and gals get, what about helo aviators? Curious because I'm considering helos after flight school.

I think the typical helo guy (at least Sierras) right now is finishing up his first tour between 850-1000 hours total. It all depends, I was flying about 20-25 a month in workups as a junior pilot, then on cruise anywhere from 30-50, and now post-cruise is about 10-20 depending on the month. I just think the Air Force numbers aren't quite as low as you had suggested.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Are you flying the Romeos or Sierras ? I have a preference within a preference, helos and the Romeos ASW just attracts me to be in the hot zone. But hey, helos are helos and happy whatever I get, I know some guys down at HSM-35 at North Island, great squadron there.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bro, I know you're just in the application phase, so don't let the current flight hours/month discussion sway you in any way. There are sooooooooo many factors that go into this that are out of your control (or even your skipper's/commodore's control) that it should't affect how you select an airframe. Your goal at this point is commissioning into aviation. Let the process after that take care of itself and just be as awesome as you can be.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
I know Mid, I'm taking it one step at a time, I love it a lot here, we are a great team of people.

ryan1234

Truth be told, I believe both are fine pilots and Aviators but Navy really nails it with landing on a freaking carrier, kudos to you guys and gals (Commodore) ;)

I usually fly about 3-4 times a week for a 2.5 average ASD, our squadron hot pits once a week which ends up being about 4.5-5.5hrs that day, or if we're part of a NATO exercise and/or with a tanker it's about a 4.0 that day as well. We get a tanker probably 4-5 times a month. Combined with PDMs (pond crossings with the jet), I think last month I had like 35 hours. I flew about twice as much as one of my FA/18F friends (but that was more airframe mx related). The squadrons here at RAF Lakenheath are a little more active than usual and we do some pretty cool stuff, specific to this region.

Most stories of guys not getting hours were definitely of the sequestration variety.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Are you flying the Romeos or Sierras ? I have a preference within a preference, helos and the Romeos ASW just attracts me to be in the hot zone. But hey, helos are helos and happy whatever I get, I know some guys down at HSM-35 at North Island, great squadron there.

I fly Sierras. I imagine most Romeo pilots would echo the same. And yeah HSM-35 is a cool squadron on the JOPA level.