• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air force ROTC vs. Naval ROTC

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
AFROTC at my school carried cushioned mats with them during PT in case they had to do pushups or situps...

I'm just saying...

Really? I mean... Really?

My brother was able to sneak Dominoes Pizza into the "dorms" on a semi regular basis during his 4 or 6 week tenure at "Field Training"...

The AF dudes I flew with in Primary didn't seem to be product of pansy-ass training- but then again they had the smarts to come train with us in the T-34.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Let me see if I simplify it for the OP ... they're both 'great' ... but if you want to fly w/ the BEST ... ???

Go Naval Air. (that would mean go NROTC)

Q.E.D.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
my experience with AFROTC as a Navy outsider:

- always PT'd indoors, wore white marshmallow suits, would venture outside every now and then
- always lost the tri-service olympics
- always lost to us in flag football (not just lost, but killed...severely lacking in athletic abilities and coordination)
- they held a formation for everything
- "warrior quarter" was the most annoying thing ever
- couldn't make a damn decision; I was the tri-service coordinator one year and they always had to call someone to ask for permission to make a decision on something as simple as "hey, what kind of food should we serve for this event?"
- generally looked frail and nerdy
- had an enormous amount of manpower to do the smallest tasks
- were always told what to do
- bunch of nerds, can't emphasize that enough

my best unbiased input I could come up with

jtmedli

pilot
I was in AFROTC for a while. The above is not entirely true. Every ROTC unit tends to be different.

- we never PT'd indoors unless it was freezing outside.
- the unit I was in had some serious athletes in it. Both lifters and runners and swimmers.
- AFROTC produces some good officers...for the AF.
EDIT - we also never had any gay pad things in AFROTC to do situps on...but we did have them at Navy OCS.

Ultimately the decision comes down to you. The best input was the advice above about being in whichever one you would want to be in if flying wasn't an option. They are both fine programs but quality varies with every school/detachment. The best thing to do is go by the unit and ask around and talk to the cadre and other cadets/mids that you may know and see what you think.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Let me see if I simplify it for the OP ... they're both 'great' ... but if you want to fly w/ the BEST ... ???

Go Naval Air. (that would mean go NROTC)

Q.E.D.

The "best" what?

If the what refers to "combat aviator", then the service you're in has absolutely no bearing on it, unfortunately.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The "best" what?

If the what refers to "combat aviator", then the service you're in has absolutely no bearing on it, unfortunately.
Ummmmmmm .... best BOAT Aviators ??? :eek:

Hey, Hacker ... every USAF exchange-O (and not the NEX kine' exchange) I knew went on & on about how great NAVAIR was compared to his lot in life -- when they were drunk. :icon_wink

Mebbe da' devil made 'em say that ... ???

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This question is kind of like going to a Ford Mustang site and asking whether you should buy a Chevy Camaro.....

MarineInOkinawa

my experience with AFROTC as a Navy outsider:

- always PT'd indoors, wore white marshmallow suits, would venture outside every now and then
- always lost the tri-service olympics
- always lost to us in flag football (not just lost, but killed...severely lacking in athletic abilities and coordination)
- they held a formation for everything
- "warrior quarter" was the most annoying thing ever
- couldn't make a damn decision; I was the tri-service coordinator one year and they always had to call someone to ask for permission to make a decision on something as simple as "hey, what kind of food should we serve for this event?"
- generally looked frail and nerdy
- had an enormous amount of manpower to do the smallest tasks
- were always told what to do
- bunch of nerds, can't emphasize that enough

my best unbiased input I could come up with

I'm a sophomore-to-be on the Marine side at another unit. From my short experience, and from what I can comment on, this is SPOT ON. The Army crushed them in a some event called the AF Run. Many of them appear timid and quiet too. Many of the girls are also girly girls who are DYING to get into the Navy Marine Corps ball.

Reconjoe

I may or may not have video of Riddle's Air Force ROTC utilizing the "Bob Harper: Ultimate Cardio body" workout DVD's in formation on big screen projectors....

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please. Post. This. For the love of all that is holy. This needs to be on the internets.