• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Air Force Reserve Inter Service Transfer

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Blows my mind that there seems to be such an interservice mentality difference here. Seems the Army and AF are like "sanctuary, schmanktuary, you earn it and it's yours." Whereas the Navy is basically "fuck you, we're going to personally track your ass if you get close and deny you orders . . . even if you could be doing good things for the Navy. Fat chance ever getting an active pension, you dirty SELRES."
Not always...when I was 18 months out from a solid twenty my orders dried up entirely. I ended up having to do the long wait which...because of my advanced age...wasn't that long. If money gets tight the Air Guard and Army Guard will gladly M-Day your ass to slow things down.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A bit of thread digression, but for these last several years the Navy Reserve has been quite enthusiastic about delaying SELRES as close to that 5:1 dwell ratio (home and away) as they can manage... and manage it well they do.

I'm not commenting on it as a happy/sad/angry/bitter thing (or anything else emotional), it's simply a fact. The military has a lot of commitments, the Navy does its best to do its part, and the reserves do their best to show that to the active side.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Blows my mind that there seems to be such an interservice mentality difference here. Seems the Army and AF are like "sanctuary, schmanktuary, you earn it and it's yours." Whereas the Navy is basically "fuck you, we're going to personally track your ass if you get close and deny you orders . . . even if you could be doing good things for the Navy. Fat chance ever getting an active pension, you dirty SELRES."
Brett will be along in a little while to tell you Big Navy's way is a good thing and the best way to do business.