• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Air Force Reserve Inter Service Transfer

silver236

None
Greetings All,
I am a long time lurker of this forum and I just want to say thank you all for the advice that I received over the course of my Marine Corps career. I was recently selected to fly for a C-130 unit in the Air Force Reserve so if you are thinking about transitioning and flying for the Air Force, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I just went through the entire process myself and I pretty much have all the gauge you need. I am an 0602 so as long as you meet their requirements, you should be good.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Greetings All,
I am a long time lurker of this forum and I just want to say thank you all for the advice that I received over the course of my Marine Corps career. I was recently selected to fly for a C-130 unit in the Air Force Reserve so if you are thinking about transitioning and flying for the Air Force, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I just went through the entire process myself and I pretty much have all the gauge you need. I am an 0602 so as long as you meet their requirements, you should be good.
Congratulations! Going from a comms officer to a C-130 driver, will you now attend AF flight school or does the unit train you up?

silver236

None
All Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard guys attend UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) with the Regular AF guys. The only difference is that Reserve and Guard guys don't have to compete for an airframe since they already know what they're going to be flying once they return to their unit.

Jules12

pilot
Congrats! I'm looking into transitioning to full time Air Guard from AD Navy. I'd be grateful for any gouge you have!

Jules12

pilot
I'm looking at VT, UT and HI. I've got prior enlisted time so if I separate from the Navy before a DH tour, I'll be at 15 years. That's why I really want to get a full time position to make it to retirement without delay.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm looking at VT, UT and HI. I've got prior enlisted time so if I separate from the Navy before a DH tour, I'll be at 15 years. That's why I really want to get a full time position to make it to retirement without delay.

www.bogidope.com

Going directly to a full time AGR (AF equivalent of Navy FTS) position isn’t very common for a brand new dude to a unit. They typically want to give it to a guy that is a known entity in the unit, or that has paid his dues, so it’ll usually go to a guy who’s been a regular reservist for awhile.

If getting to 20 is more important than flying, it’s possible to switch to a reserve or guard unit and then get a set of non-flying AGR orders.

Doesn’t hurt to ask, but my feeling is that flying AGR spots might be tough to come by right now with the current airline situation.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Second what IBB said above. Caveat that you might be able to slide into an AGR job if you've got the right credentials that the Wing needs: ASO, patch wearers, Stan/Eval checkers (AF equivalent to NATOPS Evaluators), etc...

Either way you can expect about a year of AD on the front end for FTU (FRS) and then MQT (2000-3000 level syllabus) at your unit.

Some units also have a lot of what's called IMR days where you can pick up one year orders at a time. But those tend to be at RPA units. YMMV.

Jules12

pilot
Thanks for the info gents. I'm a patch wearer about to start Training O tour.

So if I end up getting 20 years AD by adding up Navy time plus active guard time, does the High 3 pension start immediately?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks for the info gents. I'm a patch wearer about to start Training O tour.

So if I end up getting 20 years AD by adding up Navy time plus active guard time, does the High 3 pension start immediately?
It does.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Welllll....it depends on the active duty order type. While all duty counts for points, not all active duty counts toward early retirement. Unless, of course, things have changed...that is possible and I admit I may be presenting old information. While I am not working off old information, I was confusing one thing with another when it comes to Title 32 active duty. Get the 20 and you can get your check before you hit 60.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Welllll....it depends on the active duty order type. While all duty counts for points, not all active duty counts toward early retirement. Unless, of course, things have changed...that is possible and I admit I may be presenting old information. While I am not working off old information, I was confusing one thing with another when it comes to Title 32 active duty. Get the 20 and you can get your check before you hit 60.

The caveat being what type of orders. If you got orders of any flavor but no longer than 30 days at a pop, then that is still considered reserve time and only counts towards a reserve retirement.

Pretty much all orders over 30 days are considered active time and count towards a regular retirement in the AF. Cross sanctuary on orders like that and it’s a guaranteed active retirement.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The caveat being what type of orders. If you got orders of any flavor but no longer than 30 days at a pop, then that is still considered reserve time and only counts towards a reserve retirement.

Pretty much all orders over 30 days are considered active time and count towards a regular retirement in the AF. Cross sanctuary on orders like that and it’s a guaranteed active retirement.
Blows my mind that there seems to be such an interservice mentality difference here. Seems the Army and AF are like "sanctuary, schmanktuary, you earn it and it's yours." Whereas the Navy is basically "fuck you, we're going to personally track your ass if you get close and deny you orders . . . even if you could be doing good things for the Navy. Fat chance ever getting an active pension, you dirty SELRES."