• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force has a bad day

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
The pilot came out just fine so I'm going ahead and throwing this up there.

Back in September, the T-birds had an air show in ID. My cousin happened to be there with a video camera.

http://www.geocities.com/andrewpaulbrown/img/thunderbird6.mov

And then I just found this on the net...

http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/eject.mpg

This is one case where I can’t rag on the AF too much. If we look at it from Boyd’s OODA loop, this guy was pretty damn fast. I had to look at it frame by frame just to see what was going on.

The Wiz

What happens to the pilot if his aircraft crashes? IS he grounded for a period of time to see what happened, how does that work?

cricechex

I remeber seeing this on the news, but that was an awsome video from inside the cockpit. Thanks for sharing.
AME2STA2USNA

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by Daedalus
Was this the same incident from 2 different cameras?
As far as I can tell. The first was shot off a home cam, and the next was on someone’s website. Someone with pointy nose experience would have to say for sure.
With the question about the crash, it depends. There are different categories of a mishap; squadrons will have procedures set up on how to handle them. In this case, I doubt he went anywhere for a while. .02 more seconds and he would have been in the ball of fire.

x-wing

that was a greeeeeatt clip ( the second one) Anybody have a website where more vids like this can be found?

beau

Too fast?? Dont you mean to low to start the split S? That would be my consensous. But holy Jesus that was a good clip!!! How did they recover such footage???

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by Patmack18
That wasn't a split S, and yes he was too fast over the top/didn't gain enough alt.

Yes, a 1/2 Reverse Cuban 8(Maybe he was going for the whole 8, but I only saw half), but the question is how could you possibly know whether he was too fast without knowing the recomended entry speed for an F-16 or looking at his gauges.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
In a T-34, that makes sense. But in a high performance jet – I’ve been to a few air shows to watch them travel down the runway, pull back, and then by the time I blink they are at 15,000 feet. I’m just having a hard time seeing why he couldn’t recover, but I’ve never flown anything with a Vne over 280, so I don’t know.

beau

Also if it was basically a speed thing (aka being too fast), then we could have pulled more G's to bring it around (hell, in a fly-by-wire you cant really accelerated stall the plane anyways). Had to be altitude. Whatever, he made a bad decision (not flying the profile (at high altitude airport)) followed by a great last minute deision to punch out.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
My flight commander was a Thunderbird last year and he told me the pilot used the field elevation for Vegas instead of Idaho. He was off the team by the time they got back to the hanger. That's why the Thunderbirds are five strong for the rest of this seson, and that's a no ****ter!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw that F-18 crash on TV a few years ago. Definitely looked painful. From what I remember the pilot broke both legs and messed up some other body parts too. Not fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.