• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force has a bad day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by The Wiz
What happens to the pilot if his aircraft crashes? IS he grounded for a period of time to see what happened, how does that work?

Good question. Unfortunetly, I've been there done that. Not sure if the Air Force is the same but the Navy has 3 categories of mishaps: A, B, C. A Class C is $20K dollars or more in damage. A Class B is greater than $100K up to one million. A Class A is greater than 1 million and/or loss of life/serious injury. A CO can ask for a waiver if the known cause of the accident was purely mechanical, meaning not pilot error. In that case, the aviator(s) are usually up flying is a very short time.

A Class A is a mandatory FNAEB (unlessed waived), JAG investigation, and mishap investigation. Depending on many factors, this process could take a long time. Mine took a total of 6 months before I was cleared to fly again. Then it took another 2 months to even get back into the aircraft. FNAEB's can also be convened for Class B and C mishaps as well.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What was the delay for? I am assuming paperwork and what-not took 6 months. Why was there a 2 month window before you got back up?

Also, what about a birdstrike? A friend of mine in Kingsville had a class Alpha because they had to replace the entire wing. I'm not sure what he had to go through, but maybe you could shed some light on a BASH incident.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kmac
What was the delay for? I am assuming paperwork and what-not took 6 months. Why was there a 2 month window before you got back up?

Also, what about a birdstrike? A friend of mine in Kingsville had a class Alpha because they had to replace the entire wing. I'm not sure what he had to go through, but maybe you could shed some light on a BASH incident.

What took so long was the Admiral sat on my FNAEB package for 4 months. The other 2 months was the mishap investigation, the JAG investigation, and of course the FNAEB. Then, as you will soon learn kmac, the FRS has very few C-2's and they have issues. The priority are CAT I's, you basically. When there is only 1 COD up for a month with 4 CAT 1's to train, everyone else comes in a distant third.

As far as the bird stirke, I couldn't tell you. I know when VAW-116 lost their E-2C to multiple bird strikes, they had the FNAEB waived, even though the plane was destroyed and thus a Class A.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by EA-6B1
Any video of this F-18 crash?

I don't know of any video. I saw it on TV a couple of years ago on Dateline or 20/20 or one of those other news shows. The crash looked fairly similar except the pilot didn't eject.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know of any video. I saw it on TV a couple of years ago on Dateline or 20/20 or one of those other news shows. The crash looked fairly similar except the pilot didn't eject.
[/quote]

I was at the airshow, right in front when that happened. It occurred at the 1988 MCAS El Toro airshow.

Skid27

Originally posted by Patmack18
That wasn't a split S, and yes he was too fast over the top/didn't gain enough alt.

Sure looks like a Split S to me. And I would say if anything he was too slow, i.e. below Vc, which didn't matter anyway because he was too low.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by Vic
My flight commander was a Thunderbird last year and he told me the pilot used the field elevation for Vegas instead of Idaho. He was off the team by the time they got back to the hanger. That's why the Thunderbirds are five strong for the rest of this seson, and that's a no ****ter!

Vic, I’m still a little confused. Is the moral of the story to look up the airport elevation before performing at an air show? Or is there really a deeper message about training with the Air Force?

Skid27

No. If he is below Vc, bleeding A/S is not the answer. Might not have been below in this case, but altitude not airspeed was the problem and they are not always directly connected (PE/KE). Slowing only reduces radial G available. Accelerating to Vc while beginning an incremental pull gives the smallest turn radius in a vertical plane with LV below the horizon. A lot of time in the fleet is spent on "dissecting" mishaps so as not to repeat them. The last recommendation on every SIR that ever was written is to brief to all TMS aircrew.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
They like working with flux capacitors here and I still don't understand! Where's the Monkey?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by bunk22

I was at the airshow, right in front when that happened. It occurred at the 1988 MCAS El Toro airshow.

wow, i was a ripe 7 years old back then.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's ballsy... knocking an O-4... smooth. Anyone happen to know if that was on a Fri/Sat/ or Sun? I might have been there either right after it or the following year. (I was 9)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kmac
That's ballsy... knocking an O-4... smooth. Anyone happen to know if that was on a Fri/Sat/ or Sun? I might have been there either right after it or the following year. (I was 9)

kmac I feel older every damn time the new students check in. You guys look younger and younger. I was 18 when that crash occured.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
jaja, you guys crack me up!

Pat,
I can't eat bingo. The monkey has a special place in my heart. Are they still showing that survival video?

Hey big, thanks for the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.