• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Forcing Diversity... Again

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That said, under current law, there are prohibitions against outright quotas for statutory boards, but I'm not sure how far that permeates into the admin board side or other kinds of competitive selection events.

It most certainly has in the past. Albeit my evidence is anecdotal, specific things were said (back when pictures weren't required...no I mean the last time) that accentuated the "diversity" of the board subject. It was called out at the time, but at that point the damage had been done (so to speak). I have no doubts it's happened again since then (this was almost a decade ago).

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's been a few years since I've read a board precept but I feel like very similar verbiage was in the PERS precepts...sme with don't ding a guy for homesteading, etc.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's been a few years since I've read a board precept but I feel like very similar verbiage was in the PERS precepts...sme with don't ding a guy for homesteading, etc.
If the navy is anything like the marines, the message to the board doesn't mean much. Officially, we aren't supposed to be passed over for lack of PME, and diverse experiences are valued.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If the navy is anything like the marines, the message to the board doesn't mean much. Officially, we aren't supposed to be passed over for lack of PME, and diverse experiences are valued.
That's the point I was trying to make. The precepts are full of happy words that don't actually influence the results (for better or worse).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a laundry list of folks from the Navy that have promoted due to gender or race despite their lackluster performance....then have fallen on their sword. It's really not a lesson that needs to be re-learned.

I'm not defending this policy, but a lot of the incompetent people promoted due to their race and gender are white men. It just wasn't due to board precepts and naval messages.

Then many of them point to the one woman or minority in the unit and call that person the affirmative action hire.

The door swings both ways on this issue. Truth be told, the services do need to better appeal to a changing demographic. They're just having a hard time finding ways that aren't ham-fisted and unpopular.

exNavyOffRec

I have a laundry list of folks from the Navy that have promoted due to gender or race despite their lackluster performance....then have fallen on their sword. It's really not a lesson that needs to be re-learned.

I think I have worked for/with several of these guys, I overheard a MCPO I knew telling his LCDR who had been in his job for 6 months "sir you are going to get fired if you keep doing what you are doing, do what I tell you do, and sign what I tell you to sign and you will get through this tour", from that point on the LCDR was either in his stateroom or on watch unless he had to sign paperwork, he survived that tour and was sent to be XO on shore somewhere and ended up being relieved for loss of confidence. He was a nice guy but never should have stayed past his required commitment.

Funny thing later on it was another CPO that was the incompetent one and another LCDR that was the shit hot one.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm not defending this policy, but a lot of the incompetent people promoted due to their race and gender are white men. It just wasn't due to board precepts and naval messages.
It's a math "problem." The overwhelming majority of people in these MOSs/designators/whatever-the-air-force-calls-them are white men; by extension, the majority of people promoted will also be white men. The appropriate, and IMO only meaningful and enduring, way to address the issue is to improve community outreach programs starting in middle school and reaching through high school. If this initiative is as important to the AF (and other services) as the most senior leaders say it is, then these measures shouldn't be difficult.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The idiotic part is the whole idea that people feel they need to see people that look like them in order to find role models. This shit reinforces racism, because it requires an underlying belief that people who look a certain way all apparently think and behave the same way.

That is just as true for the people who seem to believe they need to have society validate them as it is for the service trying to placate those people.

100%. I'm not really one to jump on the racism topic, but this mentality is silly. Gen. Powell was a role model for me growing up (from his Gulf War days onwards), even if he looked different than me.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's great when white men unilaterally declare there is no sexism or racism.

Problem solved, pack it all up!