• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Forcing Diversity... Again

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I think we all knew this kind of thing was only a matter of time; and I can't be convinced we as a military need this particular type of initiative (forcing boards to consider a "diverse" candidate for the sake of diversity alone):

http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/02/a...-quotas-in-candidate-pools-for-key-positions/

The first new initiative mandates that at least one diverse candidate will have to be in the running for important developmental positions like aide-de camp, senior enlisted advisor and executive officer, among other roles... More dramatically, the CSB or DT president must “assess the diversity of both the selectees and those not selected for command following the board’s decision.” In other words, the heads of these boards will have to provide clear justification if they decide to make decisions that run-up against diversity goals.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The title is about the Air Force--who mentioned anything about the military?!

What's magnificent is that I now give not a fuck about intra-service rivalry these days. So long as the paycheck-of-the-month gets deposited, I'll try and feel bad that guys in the naval service think my former service is a bunch of pussies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's magnificent is that I now give not a fuck about intra-service rivalry these days. So long as the paycheck-of-the-month gets deposited, I'll try and feel bad that guys in the naval service think my former service is a bunch of pussies.

Just some friendly needling, lighten up.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I always thought positions should be awarded based on merit. Can someone please explain to me why diversity quotas are important to maintaining a competitive advantage, national security, etc.? I haven't seen a cohesive argument. Right now it just seems like it's that way to keep people from being offended or

Also, how must it feel to know that you were included in a selection pool because diversity? I don't think I'd enjoy knowing something like that, to me it smacks of pity or charity. The same way I deeply resent anyone who suggests I got where I am because of "white privilege". Just my opinion.

exNavyOffRec

I always thought positions should be awarded based on merit. Can someone please explain to me why diversity quotas are important to maintaining a competitive advantage, national security, etc.? I haven't seen a cohesive argument. Right now it just seems like it's that way to keep people from being offended or

Also, how must it feel to know that you were included in a selection pool because diversity? I don't think I'd enjoy knowing something like that, to me it smacks of pity or charity. The same way I deeply resent anyone who suggests I got where I am because of "white privilege". Just my opinion.

Let's see how this plays out, a person is selected not based on merit but by the fact of being diverse, then they continue to move up based on that fact, then something bad happens and the person is removed from command, public black eye.

This policy cheapens the efforts of those who are selected based on merit.

What they should do is put more effort into finding the people who have the background of what they are looking for and get them to apply.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's see how this plays out, a person is selected not based on merit but by the fact of being diverse, then they continue to move up based on that fact, then something bad happens and the person is removed from command, public black eye.

This policy cheapens the efforts of those who are selected based on merit.

What they should do is put more effort into finding the people who have the background of what they are looking for and get them to apply.
I have a laundry list of folks from the Navy that have promoted due to gender or race despite their lackluster performance....then have fallen on their sword. It's really not a lesson that needs to be re-learned.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

No, no meritocracy is highly over rated :)

I truly and genuinely miss white male privilege! Without it I'd be sweeping floors in a Burger King.

jmcquate

Contributor
This is nothing new except for it being publicly stated. When I was accepted into the PLC program in 1984, we were offered $500 for referring a minority candidate for USMC OCS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The argument, as I've heard it stated by PERS (please don't shoot the messenger) is that the services are looking at the demographic shifts predicted to occur in the next 50 years. To the extent that white males will comprise a smaller percentage of the potential recruiting pool in 2065, the goal of this kind of diversity is to begin to make service more attractive by boosting the numbers of that target demo by race/ethnicity/gender, etc. Said another way, they want a more diverse composition today so that the recruits of tomorrow can see role models that look like them/come from similar cultural backgrounds.

Make of that what you will, but that's the company line.

That said, under current law, there are prohibitions against outright quotas for statutory boards, but I'm not sure how far that permeates into the admin board side or other kinds of competitive selection events.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The idiotic part is the whole idea that people feel they need to see people that look like them in order to find role models. This shit reinforces racism, because it requires an underlying belief that people who look a certain way all apparently think and behave the same way.

That is just as true for the people who seem to believe they need to have society validate them as it is for the service trying to placate those people.