• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Contract

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
I am an air contract in Marine Corps TBS now, and it seems that no one here is sure of when the 6 (helos) and 8 (fixed wing) contracts start. I was told that that 6 or 8 years starts at OCS and then the time frame is determined once you go into your flight pipeline. Someone recently told me that the 6 or 8 years doesnt start until you recieve your wings. What is the real answer?
Thanks in advance

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
olympianchc said:
I am an air contract in Marine Corps TBS now, and it seems that no one here is sure of when the 6 (helos) and 8 (fixed wing) contracts start. I was told that that 6 or 8 years starts at OCS and then the time frame is determined once you go into your flight pipeline. Someone recently told me that the 6 or 8 years doesnt start until you recieve your wings. What is the real answer?
For Navy guys, clock doesn't start ticking until you get winged.

How is it that you guys already know if you'll get helos or fixed wing before you're even in Primary?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
olympianchc said:
glad that my OSO lied to me about that.....Integrity, apparently the Corps doesn't practice what they preach

I don't know about the contract you signed but the one I did clearly said that it started when you get winged...as for your OSO lying, that sucks, should have never happened but then again does it really make a difference for you? Would you really drop your air contract or not join the Marine Corps just because your time commitment starts 2 years later? If so then you can always drop it now...DOR anytime you want.

Wedge

I also did not know that the contracted time does not start to click down until after you get your wings. I know its my fault, I did not read the contract, I had found out that I got selected that day so I signed anything that they put in front of me. That was over two years ago and I just recently found out that my time does not go down until winging. My wife was not pleased.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
would i still have signed it, i dont know.....most likely yes, but regardless, it would have been valuable information to know before-hand...It's my fault that I did not read it, but my OSO told me so I didn't think to question it...I am in the same boat as Wedge with my girl, she is not pleased one bit. Just to be informative, I can not DOR, im at TBS.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
olympianchc said:
would i still have signed it, i dont know.....most likely yes, but regardless, it would have been valuable information to know before-hand...It's my fault that I did not read it, but my OSO told me so I didn't think to question it...I am in the same boat as Wedge with my girl, she is not pleased one bit. Just to be informative, I can not DOR, im at TBS.

You can still DOR from your air contract...of course then you will still have a 4 yr commitment to the Marine Corps in an MOS of THEIR choosing but its still an option.

Yeah, finding that out (regardless of when) is a kick to the nut$ either way...I am sure your girl will understand eventually...best of luck though.

When does Fox pick up?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got nowhere else to go...

olympianchc said:
I can not DOR, im at TBS.
Aviation is all voluntary. You can DOR at any time you want. Will you still be in the MC? What would you do if you did DOR? Don't know the answer to that one either.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Aviation is all voluntary. You can DOR at any time you want. Will you still be in the MC? What would you do if you did DOR? Don't know the answer to that one either.

Hey Steve, the way the MC does it is if someone DORs from an air contract then basically it simply shifts to a ground contract. Now as a result of people signing air contracts and then dropping them because they just wanted in the MC and it was easier to accepted as an air contract those who do DOR will be allowed to do a "wish list" but it will have absolutely zero impact as at that point the MC will give them a MOS of whatever they need most (read as what no one else wants). So under this scenario he CAN DOR however at that point he will have no input on what MOS he gets and if the needs are the same it will be something along the line of Adj or Ground supply...not bad but certainly not the combat arms most want...

The new contract length would be active duty no less than 4 years with the typical inactive reserve time up to 8 years.

I would be more than willing to answer more questions as I have a few friends who actually did this...

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a huge difference between not being able to do something and NOT wanting to do something because of the consequences.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
There is a huge difference between not being able to do something and NOT wanting to do something because of the consequences.

There absolutely is. Unfortunately some DORed because they thought they would end up with Infantry but found out the hard way. Just be sure there are no misconceptions when you think of DORing...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I forget....but for Navy, if you DOR anytime during flight school, are you discharged from the Navy? Or can you switch to another designation? I know all about the navy downsizing but maybe someone knows the current status on the matter. Thanks!

"Bacon-wrapped scallops....PHENOMENAL!"

Wedge

Fezz all the Navy guys that I had in my class for API said that if they DOR, or fail or get NPQ that they will be out of the Navy. They said it was due to the downsizing, that they have too many junior officers. Although, someone who is in the Navy should give you the exact details as I am a Marine and it is different for us. It would suck to be forced out of the Navy but I guess if you went to the academy then you would get all that school for free (I could be wrong though).

Aeolos

Fezz-I've heard the same thing as Wedge about the Navy guys, but I am also not in the Navy so it can't be said for sure if there is no way to stay in the Navy. I know in the Marines if you push hard enough or try/ask enough times then you can get somethings done.