• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Contract

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Had a guy in my class at primary who DOR'd about a week into fams. He was a year behind me at the usna, and he got the ol' boot from the Navy. No word as to whether or not he was going to pay anything back, but I doubt it.

It's a bit different for Marines, though. This is by no means official policy, but generally guys who attrite are being hooked up (i.e., they usually get one of their top choices), while DORs seem to be left to the mercy of HQMC.

BILLDO

Liable to get caught on a trip wire...
I always found it interesting how many people at OCS-TBS-ETC knew absolutely nothing about what they were potentially getting themselves into for the next 10+years. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'd be damned sure I A.)absolutely loved to fly, B.)had the stomach for it, C.)family knew the plus' and minus', D.)KNEW HOW LONG I'D BE IN, E.)BLAHBLAHBLAH. I mean come on, this is your life, and so many people don't know what they will be doing after OCS, it just floors me. It's like jumping in the deep end expecting the rope to teach you to swim as you sink.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
DOR means, "Drop On Request". Since all aviation training is voluntary, you can quit anytime you want. I'm actually kind of freaked out that I even typed it, though, as I'm used to bad things happening to people who mention "it". During primary, it was like the damn KGB or something: If the wrong people overheard you mention those three tiny letters, you were snatched out of the ready room and occasionally never seen again. ~ssshhh~ The walls have EARS!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
I forget....but for Navy, if you DOR anytime during flight school, are you discharged from the Navy? Or can you switch to another designation? I know all about the navy downsizing but maybe someone knows the current status on the matter. Thanks!
It changes all the time depending on how the various communities are doing with their numbers (manpower). If they need folks, they might keep you around a bit longer. If they don't, better get the resume together ASAP.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
BILLDO said:
I always found it interesting how many people at OCS-TBS-ETC knew absolutely nothing about what they were potentially getting themselves into for the next 10+years. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'd be damned sure I A.)absolutely loved to fly, B.)had the stomach for it, C.)family knew the plus' and minus', D.)KNEW HOW LONG I'D BE IN, E.)BLAHBLAHBLAH. I mean come on, this is your life, and so many people don't know what they will be doing after OCS, it just floors me. It's like jumping in the deep end expecting the rope to teach you to swim as you sink.

how are you supposed to know if you absolutely love flying if you've never done it before? same thing with knowing if you have the stomach for it. Sometimes you just have to say fvck it and give it a shot.