• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

air contract specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwnole

Heres what I think. When an OCS class graduates it is smaller than when it started. I dont know everywhere else TBS gets students from but if the Annapolis guys go they probably class up in the summer when school is out. PLC guys are available after graduation I guess. At any rate it makes sense to me to start TBS classes corresponding with OCS graduation. Second Lts havent learned how to be Marine Officers yet until TBS so It would be a severe disservice to the corps to allow them much time at all between OCS and TBS. They probably run that stuff efficiently. Things shouldn't get backed up until after preflight when the USN gets in the mix.

but then again, what do I know!

jw
future OC,USMC

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
OCCers usually have a couple weeks off between OCS and TBS. I had a year and a half off between OCS and TBS(I was PLC). I commissioned in July and had a TBS date for April, well it just so happened that they Alpha Co class needed bodies in Nov so I gladly went. When I commission the wait for PLC Lt's was anywhere from 8-12 months!! This is typical for PLC, I don't think this is a "severe disservice". What is so wrong with it if Lt's haven't learned the "basics" of being a Marine Officer??

Service Obligation(s) start when you commission. Some of the programs (MECEP, Acad....) are different.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

kimphil

Originally posted by E5B
OCCers usually have a couple weeks off between OCS and TBS. I had a year and a half off between OCS and TBS(I was PLC). I commissioned in July and had a TBS date for April, well it just so happened that they Alpha Co class needed bodies in Nov so I gladly went. When I commission the wait for PLC Lt's was anywhere from 8-12 months!! This is typical for PLC, I don't think this is a "severe disservice". What is so wrong with it if Lt's haven't learned the "basics" of being a Marine Officer??

Service Obligation(s) start when you commission. Some of the programs (MECEP, Acad....) are different.

Dirty Harry

We'd be interested in knowing what you did between OCS and TBS? Were you put in Mike Company in Quantico? Or were you somewhere else? What kind of duties did you have? Do tell.

In my defense, I know what a mustang is. I was being a bit lazy and didn't want to research all the different acronyms that go through OCS (in the case of mustang, I should have used MECEP). All apologies!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would Jesus drive?"

Duh. A truck -- Jesus was a carpenter.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
PLC goes to their second half of OCS between their Jr and Sr year! I'll break it down "Barney" style for ya Kimphil...

They (PLC-candidates)go to OCS SRs.....come back and do 2 more semesters of COLLEGE then get commissioned, then wait to go to TBS, then go to TBS.

Follow?

kimphil

Originally posted by E5B
PLC goes to their second half of OCS between their Jr and Sr year! I'll break it down "Barney" style for ya Kimphil...

They (PLC-candidates)go to OCS.....come back and do 2 more semesters of COLLEGE then get commissioned, then go to TBS.

Follow?

I'm sorry E5B please reread the previous post I wrote then restate what you just said. Let me rephase "Barney" style...

What...did...you...do...between...OCS and...TBS?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
COLLEGE, what part don't you understand?

Dirty Harry

kimphil

Originally posted by E5B
COLLEGE, what part don't you understand?

Dirty Harry

You should reread your post. It reads to me that after you got commissioned (on graduation in July) you were going to TBS in April the following year. Instead you went to TBS in November. I read that as November following your original April date, you meant November preceding your original April date. Dig?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Once you commission, very few PLCers go to Mike Co and hang around, some request ADSW (active duty special work) orders and work doing various jobs, but most hang out at home and carry on with their civilian lives until their TBS date.

Dirty Harry

kimphil

Thanks.

Bighead

Can you just goto OCS all at one time instead of going to PLC jr and Sr? I want to go after my freshman year. Thanks for the info

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
If you're a PLC'er you will have many months wait until TBS. During this wait you WILL NOT be getting paid and you must find some sort of ridiculous civilian job so that you can pay the bills. Grocery store, blockbuster, manual labor... thats right. Who's gonna hire you when you'll be leaving within a year? You mean you're recruiter didn't tell you that?

I was lucky. I only had a 6 month wait. I only got a PTAD job recruiting for 2 of those. The rest of the time i was a Marine Corps 2nd Lt with a physics degree laying down floor in NYC buildings with Columbian immigrants...

Rainman

pilot
YEAH TOTALLY! OCCers and Academy grads get priority b/c they're getting PAID by our govt to wait around. PLCers can be used as filler (of TBS classes as the govt sees fit).

Bighead -- yes you can do PLC Combined but you won't be able to go to after your freshman year. Typically you would go the summer before you are getting your degree although you can work that a little.

EA-6B1 -- You are in squadrons starting in primary and throughout your aviation career. Do they train at a different pace? Each CO has a slightly different take on various things; but the mission for say . . .three different primary squadrons is the same. There will be some differences . . .different "feel" but ultimately doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.