• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

air contract specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke

does the marine air contract guarantee a pilot slot or just an air slot like NFO? Recruiter says pilot but I just want to be sure. Second, with the air contract, is there any way you can lose this? I read assignment selections are done after TBS where you list top 5 choices. If you already have an air contract, what's the point?
thanks

kimphil

Originally posted by duke
does the marine air contract guarantee a pilot slot or just an air slot like NFO? Recruiter says pilot but I just want to be sure. Second, with the air contract, is there any way you can lose this? I read assignment selections are done after TBS where you list top 5 choices. If you already have an air contract, what's the point?
thanks

Hmmm. Well, if I get selected I'm guaranteed SNA (Student Naval Aviator) since I only passed the pilot portion of the ASTB (darn). If you qualify for both, I suppose its possible they might try to switch you from one to the other at TBS (needs of the service).

Think about it, you also need to list other choices at TBS, since a lot of people wash out of flight school for one reason or the other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Thats wrong, they are two different things. If you have a pilot contract, you're guaranteed a slot at flight school to be a pilot. An NFO contract means you're guaranteed a slot at flight school to be an NFO. When we listed our top five at TBS, the air contracts, (pilot and NFO) listed them just to do it pretty much. They said if you DOR or get attrited or NPQ'd from flight school you'll just list your choices there again.

kimphil

Well, there's your answer duke.

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
So, worst case scenario, what happens as far as MOS selection if you get attrited from flight school (either as an NFO or pilot)? Do you still have some selection based on how you did in TBS, or are you stuck with whatever is left over?

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Good questions from both Duke and esday. I'm wondering what the deal is with the Marine Corps 25 paid hours of flight time. My guess would be for your PPL (Private Pilot License). I've heard though that you can't take these 25 hours until you have finished PLC Seniors!? I dont understand this because if the whole point of PLC is to keep your summers open to training then why cant you do it after Jrs, so that you'll be able to go back to school and work towards your PPL; where as after Srs, you go back to school for your final two semesters and then are commissioned? Just something that was on my mind. Hope things can be cleared up. Thanks.

Semper FI

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
A PPL is a minimum of 40 hrs. The Corps will just pay for the first 25, 9 which have to be solo. You cannot do this until you have completed Srs. The whole goal with the 25 hour thing, isn't so you can get your PPL, it is to familiarlize you with flying in general.

At TBS every Lt (or law-contracts that are Capt's already) has to list 26 choices (MOS's), and if you are an air-contract you only list 24 (minus SNA and NFO). This has nothing to do with what you get if you attrite. If you attrite, the Corps will put you in an MOS that the Corps needs at the time and if they have several then you'll get somewhat of a pick.

Kimphil, if you qual for both then you have to pick one or the other, there is no changing them when you get to TBS. Remember......it's the Corps needs...yours are secondary.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks Beetle. How's TBS treating you? Are you SNA or SNFO? You have to list 24 MOS's, but for air contracts they mean absolutely nothing right? Thanks.

Semper FI

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
You still in the FRS, Q?

Yeah, it's kinda a standing joke about wanting infantry.

EA-6B, correct.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

kimphil

Originally posted by EA-6B1
Good questions from both Duke and esday. I'm wondering what the deal is with the Marine Corps 25 paid hours of flight time. My guess would be for your PPL (Private Pilot License). I've heard though that you can't take these 25 hours until you have finished PLC Seniors!? I dont understand this because if the whole point of PLC is to keep your summers open to training then why cant you do it after Jrs, so that you'll be able to go back to school and work towards your PPL; where as after Srs, you go back to school for your final two semesters and then are commissioned? Just something that was on my mind. Hope things can be cleared up. Thanks.

Semper FI

EA-6B1, you should know that the PLCs are the red-headed stepchildren of the Marine Corps officers program. That is, there are only a finite number of spaces available in each TBS class. Priority is given, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, to Academy grads, ROTC, OCC, Mustangs, and at the bottom, PLC. They may also vary priority based on contract (more ground contracts one TBS class, more air contracts the next). I only mention this because you may graduate from college, get your commission, but not be placed in the next available TBS class. You would then have time to earn your PPL.

"What would Jesus drive?"

Duh. A truck -- Jesus was a carpenter.

klostman

the happy dance!
Plus, why would the Corps pay for 25 hours of flight before you complete OCS? They want to see if you even complete OCS before they fork out more money for you.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Good points made. Thanks for clearing things up.

Let me get this one straightened out. Ok, you are on an air contract and you go through OCS and TBS. The next step is API? Then after that comes Primary, Intermediate,& Advanced. My questions are when do you get put in a "squadron"? Are there a bunch of different training squadrons? Do different squads learn at a differnt pace? Is this after API or what?
So you get your aircraft according to the where Corps needs and how your NSS is? I'm not picky about what I fly. I just want to do it. Thanks.

Semper FI

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kimphil

Priority is given, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, to Academy grads, ROTC, OCC, Mustangs, and at the bottom, PLC. They may also vary priority based on contract (more ground contracts one TBS class, more air contracts the next). I

A Mustang is an officer who is prior-enlisted. It can be an acadamy grad, PLC, OCC....any of the commissioning programs. I am a prior that was on Active duty and I chose to go the PLC route. There are a few others that have priority also, like MECEP, ECP, DCP, and possibly a few more. Yes, unfortunately, PLC is at the bottom of the barrel, but if I'm not mistaken, PLC accounts for just as many, if not more Lt's than OCC.
It just depends on what time of year you go to TBS. Bravo, Charlie, Echo and Fox start right after a OCC graduation, so the majority of those companies are OCCers. They just fill in the gaps with others, like NROTC and PLC. Alpha and Delta are mainly PLCers. I'm in Alpha and out of 244 Lt's (and one Capt) we only have a handfull of OCCers, 3 Acadamy grads (2 NA, 1 WP) and a few of the other programs.

Beetle

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
It just depends on what time of year you go to TBS. Bravo, Charlie, Echo and Fox start right after a OCC graduation, so the majority of those companies are OCCers. They just fill in the gaps with others, like NROTC and PLC.
That makes it sounds like there's not that much of a wait between OCC and TBS, particularly compared to the other commissioning programs. The Gunny at my OSS told me it was usually around two weeks. I think I've read other places on these boards that it can be a lot longer. Maybe these things have something to do with when the service obligation starts- correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it start with commissioning with OCC, and the start of TBS with the other programs? Of course that's all different for air contracts.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

Status
Not open for further replies.