• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Waiver?

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Just curious if there is such a thing as an age waiver? Seems like there's waivers for nearly everything, so I was just wondering. I searched and couldn't find anything.

I'm not beyond the age limit for SNA but when I graduate I'll only have a couple of years to apply max, so I plan on applying until I reach the max age, and if there's a waiver I'll give that a shot too.

Also, I don't understand why the age limits are different for pilots and NFO. They basically put the same time in Flight school. Slightly shorter from what I remember, but still.

One more thing, I read that it's possible to switch from SNFO to SNA if you're in the top 10% of your API class, would that be possible if you're a SNFO and above the age limit for SNA?

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
Not trying to thread jack, but when do you/the Navy/Marines determine if you are going for SNFO or SNA?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
That's impressive, a threadjack on the first reply. To answer your question, if you're going the OCS/PLC/OCC route, it's determined when you apply.

To the original thread, I haven't heard of an age waiver unless you're prior service. Also, don't be so quick to assume NFOs spend the same amount of time in flight school. To illustrate, we had two USNA grads (class of 2001), one was an NFO, one was a pilot. The NFO showed up OCT 2003 and put on LT JUN 2005. The pilot showed up SEPT 2004 and put on LT JUN 2005.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the age limit is higher for NFO because the obligation is 2 years shorter after winging.

kanakAttack

how much for the ape?
What is the age limit? I've seen a bunch of conflicting numbers on the internet and I'm sure it changes every few years, anyone know what the current limit is?

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I belive that is true for commistioning, however your can be up to 31 if you are already in the service.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Falcaner said:
I belive that is true for commistioning, however your can be up to 31 if you are already in the service.

Right

27+4 = 31

There was a guy in our OCS class who was turning 31 (prior service) in February (we commissioned in Dec), and he was sweating it because it meant he could only roll twice. He finished with us, so it was all good.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Max age for both is now 27. Commissioned before reaching your 27th birthday. No prior service no age waiver. Age is a big factor for the board. The younger the better. If you are approaching the max age you had better have a reason for waiting so long to apply. Just graduating, ok, why did it take so long? Are you on Bluto's seven year plan? Are you making a career change after 4 years at the lumber yard? The stats prove that the older guys are far more likely to DOR from OCS or attrite from training. Don't be too discouraged. Just understand what you are up against. Give it a try and do everything to mitigate the age issue.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
not sure if I understand this, but if I were to enlist that would buy me more time to earn an OCS slot? Say if I don't get picked up my first or second try, I would get an extra four years if I enlisted or would I have to be enlisted before starting the process entirely?

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
You can waiver how ever many years you were in the service. It would only buy you an extra four years if you had served four years already.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
flysupertomcat said:
so enlisting once I've already applied for OCS would not count towards that total?
Nope, and it would also immeasurably complicate your application, likely delaying it by at least two years. Definitely not the way to go, especially if you're under a time crunch because of age.

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh-58Ddriver said:
You can waiver how ever many years you were in the service. It would only buy you an extra four years if you had served four years already.

Negative. In the Navy you can get only a month for month prior active duty service waiver for up to 24 months. Max 2 years! Reserves don't count unless you go on extended active duty. It is prior service. So you must enlist and serve before your OCS application. You don't have to finish your entire enlistment to apply to OCS. If you have your degree and are enlisted you just apply through your chain of command. As Brett said. It is a complication that may not net you any time because of the training required of enlisted service and the relativly slower process of application on the active duty side.

ash.giger

So in the Navy then, if I'm 30 and I have an excellent application aside from my age, there is still no way to get acceptance with a flight guarantee?