• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver (OPNAV 1420.1A)

Jeff29

Science Project
No one likes a sea lawyer, quit trying to argue the finer points of Navy law, rules and regs with a former recruiter and current Blue Gold officer. That is until you become a qualified JAG or NAVPERS bureaucrat.
Or maybe until I do what he has said is not possible to do?

Lets stick to trying to help the OP find out as much information as possible so that he can get a reasonable resolution to his issue.
That's what I was trying to do. When the flames came out I backed up my position.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I was pro select for SNA and SNFO in November 2007, I was over 27 years old by one month. I have no prior active service and a civilian. Can someone explain that?
At date of selection, or date of submission?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
This is utter Bull Sh!t.:icon_rage I don't know everything surrounding your case, but suffice it say you would not be where you are if your case was not waiverable. Glad it worked out for you. People forget that some of these standards are the LAW. Reference my previous post. No one can waive the law. If the law or regulation proscribes waivers, then so be it. This notion that some of you guys have that if you wish upon a star, and bitch long and loud enough you will get your way just because you deserve it is wearing a bit thin with me. Not everyone in this world gets what they want. Not everyone in this world is deserving of what they want and yes, some people very deserving of their fondest wish just get screwed. It would be more fair in the long run to simply encourage people to work hard and pursue every avenue available to them to get what they want, including proscribed waivers. You give false hope and make a lot of work for the chain of command when you state that everything is waiverable in the Navy. It simply is not so.
One of the great contradictions of military service: "Adapt, improvise, and overcome" but just make sure you don't violate SOP, policy or guidance in the process. Deployment mentality vs. homeguard mentality.

I'm currently banging my head against a wall trying to get the situation corrected for a deserving sailor who was screwed by a system that failed to properly uphold its own policy, but now invokes that same policy to explain why they cannot correct it.

I don't think of it as a product of the entitlement generation. As a prior, I think of it as the best way for me to justify that pay discrepancy to myself.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's probably the key. Isn't it based on application deadline and not selection date?
Here we go again. Look, I'm too tired to refute everything you have to say about your personal miracle. I think everyone should pursue waivers as proscribed, see above. I don't appreciate your blanket assertions that rules, policy and regulation are there just as an inconvenience to people that can always be gotten around. Moreover, you once again go off at the mouth without knowing who you are talking to. Your experience is as a prior, from the fleet I assume. This guy looks to be from off the street, regular OCS app. We don't know unless we ask. I am betting he will clear it up for us soon. Suffice it to say, you are wrong in both of your answers above. If he is a non prior OCS guy it is 27 by date of commission. How did he make it? I don't know. Maybe the age limit has changed since I last checked a few months ago. But I am going with lucky brake and he better hope it isn't found out.

You have something to offer guys on AW based on your experience and only your experience. And your experience is guite frankly not like the vast majority of people on AW asking for help. It is very narrow. If you don't know who you are talking to then do not offer advise that does not apply to them.

BTW, your JD buddy is afu. Just look it up in Blacks, Law.com, marry a lawyer or get experience in law enforcement like I did. A statute is a law. It has nothing to do with enforcement or judicial review. Like I said, it is best to know who you are talking to.

Reactions: Tom

Jeff29

Science Project
Here we go again. Look, I'm too tired to refute everything you have to say about your personal miracle. I think everyone should pursue waivers as proscribed, see above. I don't appreciate your blanket assertions that rules, policy and regulation are there just as an inconvenience to people that can always be gotten around. Moreover, you once again go off at the mouth without knowing who you are talking to. Your experience is as a prior, from the fleet I assume. This guy looks to be from off the street, regular OCS app. We don't know unless we ask. I am betting he will clear it up for us soon. Suffice it to say, you are wrong in both of your answers above. If he is a non prior OCS guy it is 27 by date of commission. How did he make it? I don't know. Maybe the age limit has changed since I last checked a few months ago. But I am going with lucky brake and he better hope it isn't found out.

You have something to offer guys on AW based on your experience and only your experience. And your experience is guite frankly not like the vast majority of people on AW asking for help. It is very narrow. If you don't know who you are talking to then do not offer advise that does not apply to them.

BTW, your JD buddy is afu. Just look it up in Blacks, Law.com, marry a lawyer or get experience in law enforcement like I did. A statute is a law. It has nothing to do with enforcement or judicial review. Like I said, it is best to know who you are talking to.

Huh?

I was simply asking a question about what date the age waiver applies to, and I get this? Maybe my assumption was wrong, but it was a simple question. BTW, why jump down my throat and not the person who actually posed the question of selection date vs. submission date?

As for your accusation that, "once again go off at the mouth without knowing who you are talking to", this was the problem at the beginning of this topic; however, it was you who did this, not me. Nsixer is a prior, or at least I assume he is based on his comment, "It was told to my Chief..." I gave him advice based on my "very narrow" experience which just happens to be similar to his. If you had realized that he was a prior and that I was speaking as a prior, rather than getting upset about my comment that "everything is waiverable" (an obvious exageration), this thread could have been much more productive.

This is why I confine my advice to Lat Transfers, Age Waivers, and PRK.

Like I said, it is best to know who you are talking to.
Agreed.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh?

Nsixer is a prior, or at least I assume he is based on his comment, "It was told to my Chief..." I gave him advice based on my "very narrow" experience which just happens to be similar to his. If you had realized that he was a prior and that I was speaking as a prior, rather than getting upset about my comment that "everything is waiverable" (an obvious exageration), this thread could have been much more productive.
Nsixer isn't prior, he is active duty, and I knew that from the start. He says so in the first line of his original post. Your status we had to guess because your profile does not give us much of a hint and you did not tell us in your orignal post. I certainly could assume you were prior or active based on your post. Here is the point. Many wannabes and applicants read these threads. You have to be clear where you are coming from. Nsixer was very clear. You were much less so. I can tell you are prior. A college soph can not. That is my only real beef here. I can only assume your advise to Nsixer was based on your prior military experience. But lots of young people looking at that thread think that the way you guys would handle something will work for them at the OCS recruiters office. We will certainly differ on some of the tactics we would recommend individuals seeking a Navy commission. But can we agree it is as important to specify ones perspective and qualify advise as it is to know who you are giving it to? I don't want non prior wannabes reading this thread and thinking that what works Nsixer and you will necessarily work for them.

Jeff29

Science Project
Nsixer isn't prior, he is active duty, and I knew that from the start. He says so in the first line of his original post. Your status we had to guess because your profile does not give us much of a hint and you did not tell us in your orignal post. I certainly could assume you were prior or active based on your post. Here is the point. Many wannabes and applicants read these threads. You have to be clear where you are coming from. Nsixer was very clear. You were much less so. I can tell you are prior. A college soph can not. That is my only real beef here. I can only assume your advise to Nsixer was based on your prior military experience. But lots of young people looking at that thread think that the way you guys would handle something will work for them at the OCS recruiters office. We will certainly differ on some of the tactics we would recommend individuals seeking a Navy commission. But can we agree it is as important to specify ones perspective and qualify advise as it is to know who you are giving it to? I don't want non prior wannabes reading this thread and thinking that what works Nsixer and you will necessarily work for them.
Fair enough. I will be more specific in my future posts.

I was actually already commissioned and did a Lat Transfer.