• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver (OPNAV 1420.1A)

nsixer

I'm currently active duty (AD1), just had my wings clipped by the processor yesterday that I am disqualify from the Pilot designator because I'm too old (just turn 29). Does anybody have the most current OPNAV 1420. 1A, the instruction I based my package off was from the NPC website and it was as of May 2003, say's waiverable up to 31. He emailed me the "Fleet Officer Application Checklist" that states 29 but I don't know where it was derived from and when it was established. I tried searching this site, Navy and the web for the most current instruction dictacting the OCS program, but no like. Does anybody know the concrete age limit for the pilot designator who are prior/active military and what instruction are you basing it off. Did I miss something, will somebody enlighten me!

thanks

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I'm currently active duty (AD1), just had my wings clipped by the processor yesterday that I am disqualify from the Pilot designator because I'm too old (just turn 29). Does anybody have the most current OPNAV 1420. 1A, the instruction I based my package off was from the NPC website and it was as of May 2003, say's waiverable up to 31. He emailed me the "Fleet Officer Application Checklist" that states 29 but I don't know where it was derived from and when it was established. I tried searching this site, Navy and the web for the most current instruction dictacting the OCS program, but no like. Does anybody know the concrete age limit for the pilot designator who are prior/active military and what instruction are you basing it off. Did I miss something, will somebody enlighten me!

thanks

I am a little confused. Did you already submit a package for a program or are you going to submit one in the future? For example, a lot of the STA-21 guys/girls who submitted their package's a while back were grandfathered in under the old instruction for age and ASTB scores. If you want the most current 1420 go here

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/allinstruc...s&View={1FF912B1-1BC6-444A-8943-B769C77880F2}

Here is for commissioning physical CH.15
http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/ManMed/Manmed.htm

Here is for flight physical and waivers

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

nsixer

age waiver

Jus2mch, my OCS package is in the pipeline and it was suppose to go to the Feb's board for pilot but I got an email from the processor saying I am disqualify and he is not going to submit it to the board because I'm too old.

This website you suggested is what I based my OCS application from, it say's "waiverable to 31" for prior/active members but the processor is basing off this "Fleet Officer Application Checklist" which say's 29 yrs old and that's why he won't submit my package to the board. Something must of changed recently that I don't know about and I'm franticly trying to find the most current instruction. http://doni.daps.dla.mil/allinstruct...769C77880F2%7d

BourneID

pilot
nsi,

Even for the flying CWO program, you have to be commissioned by your 29th Birthday on a waiver, so I am pretty sure that 29 is at least 2 years old, 31 for NFO. If thats as high as they are willing to go for this program, I don't think there is a waiver beyond that.

bb1125

None
I ran into the same problem when I applied. I'm not sure if my package made it to the board or not, but my Skipper got an e-mail from the processor saying I was too old for pilot, but they were offering me NFO, which I hadn't even applied for. I was pretty disappointed at first, but I thought about it for a couple of days and decided to take it. After all I'm still flying and getting the same paycheck.

Anyways, at that time, I did find the instruction that limited pilot to 27, waiver to 29. I think it was MILPERSMAN, but I'm not positive. I just tried to look, but the website is jacked right now. I have no idea why the 1420 still says 31, because that's all I looked at when I applied. Did you apply for anything else?

nsixer

How old were you when your package was submitted for the pilot designator? I've seen different Navy instructions stating different age limits but I'm not even sure which one the processor is using to disqualify people, I would love to see it. I applied for NFO also and was told in the same email from the processor that my FOFAR was not enough, needed a 5 but mine was a 4 so that just took me out of the NFO board. Again, I don't know what instruction he is using. There is an enlisted member who got pro'cd for the pilot designator but I haven't been able to get in touch with him.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
"I got an email from the processor saying I am disqualify and he is not going to submit it to the board because I'm too old."

Have you expressed your concerns to the processor? I would start by respectfully explaining to him exactly what we have discussed here. Reference the material you have available to the processor (1420), and show him exactly what you based the application off of. Go through the 1420 and make sure there is no mention of that "checklist"
If that fails use your chain of command. Obviously your skipper already endorsed the package, so get all your ducks in a row and get ready to present to everyone. I don't know how much more black and white one can get, because it says it plain as day in the instruction. My only thought is that maybe the processor wonders whether or not you can commission and get through flight school by that 31, or just plain doesn't feel like getting you a waiver.

For OCS

(5) For Pilots (1395), be at least 19 years of age
and be able to complete OCS and be commissioned prior to
the 27th birthday
. Waivers may be considered up to the
31st birthday.

b. Age requirements. All applicants must be at least
19 years old and meet the following designator specific age
limitations. (Note - all ages based upon date of
commissioning i.e., completion of OCS
Must be Commissioned Prior to Reaching Age
Waivers for Prior Enlisted Service

SWO (1165) 29 Up to 2 years
SPECWAR (1185),
SPECOPS (1195)
29 Up to age 35
SWO (N) (1165),
Submarine (1175)
26 ½ Up to age 29 ½
NFO (1375) 30 Up to age 32
Pilot (1395) 27 Up to age 31
Restricted Line and
Staff Corps
Prior to turning
No waivers

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ok, here's a question....

I have seen all this age and waiver stuff around here for quite awhile, but it just dawned on me that the age limits for pilot and nfo are different. Anyone know why? It seems odd that they would be different.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Ok, here's a question....

I have seen all this age and waiver stuff around here for quite awhile, but it just dawned on me that the age limits for pilot and nfo are different. Anyone know why? It seems odd that they would be different.

I always wonder the same thing. Does a couple years in age really play a big role as to whether or not one can actually fly?

bb1125

None
How old were you when your package was submitted for the pilot designator? I've seen different Navy instructions stating different age limits but I'm not even sure which one the processor is using to disqualify people, I would love to see it. I applied for NFO also and was told in the same email from the processor that my FOFAR was not enough, needed a 5 but mine was a 4 so that just took me out of the NFO board. Again, I don't know what instruction he is using. There is an enlisted member who got pro'cd for the pilot designator but I haven't been able to get in touch with him.
I was 29 when I applied and when I commissioned. I guess you could ask the processor what they're going off of. If it's the MILPERSMAN, like I think, then that would trump the 1420. I just wish they'd update the 1420 so we're not mislead when applying.

As for NFO, why not take the ASTB again and see what happens. It should be a quick and easy turn around to get your package back in. Also, it should be easy to get your scores up enough with just a little bit of studying. I wish you luck.

bb1125

None
Here is another link from the CNRC website updated as of JULY 2007 that concur's with the OPNAV 1420.1A "waiverable to 31" for PILOT, it is more current than the MILS PER manual as of 2005.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm
A website wouldn't exactly constitute "policy", now would it, go with the actual instructions. Like I said before, the MILPERSMAN would trump the 1420, if that is in fact what they're going off of. I think your best bet would be to e-mail the processor on Tues. and ask what their decision was based on and show them the info you have to the contrary: the 1420 and their own website(just to poke them in the eye). I don't think there's much you can do to change your situation unfortunately, but at least it will bring up the issue with the instruction.

nsixer

The sad thing is that we have a commissioning program officer at my command and he told me to follow the guidelines from the 1420. I will definitely contact the processor on Tuesday and see what he's basing the standards from. I'm going to bring this up to my CO (O-6), hopefully he can put his two cents in to somebody about the confusing instructions so that others in the future won't be mislead and waste their time like I did.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Here is the milpersman instruction for Naval Aviation... but I'm not sure if this is specific to the OCS path or not. I agree, they need to change the 1420.1a as it is specific to the OCS program.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/MILPERS/MILPERSMAN%20%201542%20-%20FLIGHT%20TRAINING.PDF

I don't think it is.

2. Applicability of this Article. This article is applicable
to Regular and Reserve officers desiring lateral transfer or
change of designator.
Eligibility criteria for initial
entry/commissioning into aviation training are addressed in
MILPERSMAN 1131-010.

I don't know if this is the most up to date 1131 instruction. I just googled it.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1131-010.htm

Naval Aviator (1395):

Initial entry grade ENS
At least 19 but under 27; month for month waivers up to 24 months will be considered for in-service applicants who possess particularly exceptional qualifications.

Here is the milpersman instruction for Naval Aviation... but I'm not sure if this is specific to the OCS path or not. I agree, they need to change the 1420.1a as it is specific to the OCS program.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil...ILPERS/MILPERSMAN 1542 - FLIGHT TRAINING.PDF

I don't think it is.

2. Applicability of this Article. This article is applicable
to Regular and Reserve officers desiring lateral transfer or
change of designator.
Eligibility criteria for initial
entry/commissioning into aviation training are addressed in
MILPERSMAN 1131-010.

I don't know if this is the most up to date 1131 instruction. I just googled it.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1131-010.htm

Naval Aviator (1395):

Initial entry grade ENS
At least 19 but under 27; month for month waivers up to 24 months will be considered for in-service applicants who possess particularly exceptional qualifications.

Now you can compare this with the current 1420, and see where it references to the 1131. See if it says anything about the 1131 trumping the 1420. If it doesn't work out maybe the processor will switch you to NFO. (If that is something you want to do) Good luck.

Naval Flight Officer (1375), Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer (1525):

Initial entry grade ENS
At least 19 but under 27; maximum age limit may be adjusted upward for civilians with prior active service on a month-for-month basis up to 24 months; maximum age limit may be adjusted upward for in-service applicants on a month-for-month basis up to 48 months for continuous active military service.