• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Waiver Myth

thull

I'm just over 27.5, and my first request for an age waiver for OCC 195 made it all the way to the last sign-off and was denied. My app was solid.

My OSO says that while technically you can apply for an age waiver, in reality none are accepted.

Anyone else heard the same lately?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just over 27.5, and my first request for an age waiver for OCC 195 made it all the way to the last sign-off and was denied. My app was solid.

My OSO says that while technically you can apply for an age waiver, in reality none are accepted.

Anyone else heard the same lately?

Other than the waiver for prior enlisted time, age waivers are extremely rare on the Navy side. I don't see why things would be any different for the Marines, especially in a program that is already competitive and has plenty of applicants.

Brett

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Prior E, but...

32 at commisioning...35 at winging...flying Rhino's today! Never give up.

Oh yeah, GO GATORS!!!!

thull

Prior E, but...

32 at commisioning...35 at winging...flying Rhino's today! Never give up.

Oh yeah, GO GATORS!!!!

Nice..and inspirational. Any special advantages you think you had, or were you just persistent as hell?

Ric Hard

I'm in the same boat as you. My age waiver was denied the first time, thus, my air contract was denied. However, I was approved for my ground. I just turned 28 in October and My last PFT score was a 288. I had 12 Rec letters from Prof's, judges, and even councilman. My package was much stronger then some of the younger kids who were accepted. I even talked to a guy who had a DUI and still recieved an air slot based on his package and his age. All I can say is like myself, your not getting any younger. It seems to be highly unlikely that you will get approved for an age waiver in the Marines or the Navy at this point in time. (Extremely unlikely not impossible) My advice to you would be to get your foot in the door with your ground contract. Get through OCS and become an officer. Then kick ass at TBS. If you absolutely rock at TBS then you are in control of your own destiny. It's not going to be easy, but if you want it bad enough you should get it. That's what I'm going to do. I leave for OCS this Friday(1/19/07). I will get through OCS and I will earn an air slot.

thull

Ric, Thanks for your input, and good luck..with that kind of mindset I'm sure you'll rock at TBS. I assume, but do you know if you'll have to go through the age waiver process at TBS?

I agree it does seem like a few younger guys are getting in with weaker applications. I'm caught between going OCC 195 ground (and I think I'd do well as a ground officer, but REALLY want to fly) and begging my recruiter to resubmit my app for an age waiver for OCC 196. I'm thinking about trying to set some new running PRs in the mile and three-mile early this summer, and submitting that with my second age waiver application for 196, if recruiter is willing. If that gets shot down, I'll go for it via TBS.

Best of luck again...

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I got my NFO contract age waiver at a few months short of 30. I was prior enlisted in the C-130 community though and had good ASTB scores. There were some Herc guys working behind the scenes for me, but it is possible.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got my NFO contract age waiver at a few months short of 30. I was prior enlisted in the C-130 community though and had good ASTB scores. There were some Herc guys working behind the scenes for me, but it is possible.

Can we please stop confusing people with stories of prior enlisted who got an age waiver? That waiver is all but automatic and is completely different than the kind of age waivers the OP is talking about.

Brett

Ric Hard

Thull-

According to my OSO if you get through TBS with a stellar performance the waiver is pretty easy to get. Remember, the age used to be set at 30. They lowered it due to the high number of applicants at the time and some doctor at NAMI who said you stop retaining as much information as you get older. TBS flight slots are a case by case situation, not a group effort. If you can prove yourself and make a case for your package then you should be ok. In your case you need to ask yourself if you are doing this for the right reason. My professor posed this question to me. Do you love your country enough to say that even if you don't get the flight slot..... I am prepared to LEAD MARINES? Tough question and for this reason you should really think about the situation. Also, consider this. With your age, the longer you wait, the tougher it continues to get for you. (because you continue to get older) i.e. OCC 193, 194, 195 etc.... and eventually the reviewing board will start to question why you won't accept a contract to become a MARINE OFFICER. I only write so much because I've gone through the same exact situation you have and sympathize with it. Good luck to you in your decision.

Ric

thull

Thull-

According to my OSO if you get through TBS with a stellar performance the waiver is pretty easy to get. Remember, the age used to be set at 30. They lowered it due to the high number of applicants at the time and some doctor at NAMI who said you stop retaining as much information as you get older. TBS flight slots are a case by case situation, not a group effort. If you can prove yourself and make a case for your package then you should be ok. In your case you need to ask yourself if you are doing this for the right reason. My professor posed this question to me. Do you love your country enough to say that even if you don't get the flight slot..... I am prepared to LEAD MARINES? Tough question and for this reason you should really think about the situation. Also, consider this. With your age, the longer you wait, the tougher it continues to get for you. (because you continue to get older) i.e. OCC 193, 194, 195 etc.... and eventually the reviewing board will start to question why you won't accept a contract to become a MARINE OFFICER. I only write so much because I've gone through the same exact situation you have and sympathize with it. Good luck to you in your decision.

Ric

Thanks, Ric. Out of curiosity, were you able to apply more than once? Latest news to me is you can't apply for an age waiver more than once. :(

Ric Hard

I applied once to the Navy and once for the Marines. Both were denied. Both recruiters said that if I applied again that I would be denied. Not sure if that meant you could not apply again or it would just be denied again. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck again.