• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifu dinan

I'm 22 and have always had the intention of joining the Navy or Marine Corps for the chance to fly Hornets. Unfortunatly there have been a few obstacles over the years but my life is slowly getting to the point where I'm comfortable leaving it all behind to pursue this dream.

My question is how late is too late? I have very little college under my belt, thus I would need the time to get my degree. I know there's a limit in actually signing up but is there an age limit for flight school? Do I have to apply by a certain age or do I have to be accepted by a certain age?

Basically, I want to know at what age will it simply be too late for me to even consider ever flying jets.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sifu dinan said:
I'm 22 and have always had the intention of joining the Navy or Marine Corps for the chance to fly Hornets. Unfortunatly there have been a few obstacles over the years but my life is slowly getting to the point where I'm comfortable leaving it all behind to pursue this dream.

My question is how late is too late? I have very little college under my belt, thus I would need the time to get my degree. I know there's a limit in actually signing up but is there an age limit for flight school? Do I have to apply by a certain age or do I have to be accepted by a certain age?

Basically, I want to know at what age will it simply be too late for me to even consider ever flying jets.
How do you feel about helicopters or ship driving?

Brett (I can't help it)

DairyCreamer

sifu dinan said:

I'm pretty sure it's commission by 27 for any sort of flying in the Navy.

Have you considered doing NROTC? Depending on your birthday, you might still be able to make it in. Need to be no more than 23 by June 30 of the year you start (assuming you'll need 4 years) so that you can commission by 27 on June 30 your senior year.

~Nate

sifu dinan

Brett327 said:
How do you feel about helicopters or ship driving?

Brett (I can't help it)
I want to fly jets, and since Tomcats are out of the question that leaves me with Hornets. Yes I understand that the needs of the Navy would come before my own preference and I understand how tough the competition is. While I would still do the job if I had to fly helicopters I will still do everything in my power to get trained on jets.

Ship driving? To be honest the only reason I want to be on a ship is if I'm landing on it :p

sifu dinan

DairyCreamer said:
I'm pretty sure it's commission by 27 for any sort of flying in the Navy.

Have you considered doing NROTC? Depending on your birthday, you might still be able to make it in. Need to be no more than 23 by June 30 of the year you start (assuming you'll need 4 years) so that you can commission by 27 on June 30 your senior year.

~Nate
Birthday is February 19, 83. Commission before my 27th birthday, I assume? So let's say I get commissioned sometime when I'm 26; do I have to apply and be accepted into flight school immediatly or would I still be allowed to apply two years down the line?

sifu dinan

H60Gunr said:
I think OPNAVINST 1420.1A might be informative.
b. Age. STA-21 Pilot Option candidates must be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to their 27th birthday. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to the 31st birthday with active duty or prior active duty service computed on a month-for-month basis.

Answers that...but the STA program seems to apply for people who have enlisted first. I've yet to sign anything and while I wouldn't mind being enlisted for a while before hand I don't think I'd have the time for that (unless I bust ass and do four years worth of college in two).

And I've always planned on joining that Marine Corps as opposed to the Navy, not sure how that changes the situation. I should've mentioned that before...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sifu dinan said:
I want to fly jets, and since Tomcats are out of the question that leaves me with Hornets. Yes I understand that the needs of the Navy would come before my own preference and I understand how tough the competition is. While I would still do the job if I had to fly helicopters I will still do everything in my power to get trained on jets.

Ship driving? To be honest the only reason I want to be on a ship is if I'm landing on it :p
I knew I could flush you out. ;)

Brett

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Well ... I'm 30 and just graduated Primary ..... got in with an age waiver when I was 28. That was almost 2yrs ago so I don't know what the policy is now but just go talk to a recruiter and they can probably answer your questions with more accuracy.

sifu dinan

Brett327 said:
I knew I could flush you out. ;)

Brett
:confused:

Spin said:
Well ... I'm 30 and just graduated Primary ..... got in with an age waiver when I was 28. That was almost 2yrs ago so I don't know what the policy is now but just go talk to a recruiter and they can probably answer your questions with more accuracy.
I'm just worried that if I don't sign up very soon that I'll be screwing myself in the future. In fact, I wanted to spend a few years enlisted and train as an air traffic controller before getting a commission but I think the timing is far too tight for that now.

What did the age waiver entail? I'm still not sure if there's an age limit for flight school itself. I understand that I would have to be commissioned by my 27th birthday (or is it by the end of my 27th year?) but does that mean I'd have to be accepted into Primary immediatly or just that I'd have to apply immediatly?

Believe me, I've talked to recruiters and for some reason I seem to meet the most clueless of them all. Half the recruiters I've spoken to tell me that without 20/20 vision there's no hope that I'll ever fly! I don't understand how they can't know about PRK but they're adamant that anyone without prefect vision is automatically disqualified.

Because of that I have a hard time finding a recruiter that actually knows what he's talking about. In fact, would you guys know any in particular that I could contact, ones that are actually knowledgable in what they do?

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Well ... the 20/20 thing is bull**** ... 20/40 is the limit to get in and when your in it's something rediculous like 20/100. As far as age .... for Marines you have to be commissioned by 27 and 1/2 years of age. Now I was accepted to OCS when I had just turned 28. Now this is all "grey area" stuff but my recruiter said that as long as your under 29 your golden but that they weren't granting age waivers beyond the age of 29.

Now the waiver is not guaranteed. It goes up the chain and gets approved or denied. Obviously if you have a ****ty application package they aren't going to make an exception for you, etc. You get the idea. As far as how the waiver itself works ... I never had any exposure to that. My recruiter just told me what to do, I did it and just waited to see what happend. If you want to contact my recruiting station it was Albany, NY. Don't remember the # but you can look it up on whitepages.com or just call information.

Also, when you call the recruiter make sure it is an OFFICER recruiter and not a recruiter for enslitment. The recruiters that recruit for enlisted will not give you any info and just try to make u enlist. But the recruiter is really going to be your best source of info as they (good ones) know straight from the horses mouth whats going on. While this site is great ... don't take everything as gospel. While we all mean well we don't have all the right answers.

Peace,

-Spin

sifu dinan

yeah, I understand that :) I mainly asked you guys because the recruiters weren't much help and I figured you guys would have some real world answers for me.

The simple fact that I now know of at least one person who was commissioned at 28 and was still able to get into flight school means that at least it's been possible and with luck it still will be. Most of the recruiters I've spoken to (including the ones that knew nothing of the vision waivers) were enlisted and thus trying to recruit me for enlisted positions; makes sense that they'd discourage questions about officer-only programs.

I'll try to find a recruiting officer in my area; in fact I live right near NS Great Lakes, there may be someone there I can speak to. :eek: I do appreciate everyone's information, it's done well to at least quell my worries that I've already waited too long. I don't mind if I don't get a seat in a Hornet until I'm 30 or later while everyone else in the class is 24 as long as I still have a fair chance of getting that seat in the first place.

DairyCreamer

sifu dinan said:
I don't mind if I don't get a seat in a Hornet until I'm 30 or later while everyone else in the class is 24 as long as I still have a fair chance of getting that seat in the first place.

That's ok, just about everyone here has the same slim-to-none chance of getting into a Hornet presently :-D

~Nate

sifu dinan

DairyCreamer said:
That's ok, just about everyone here has the same slim-to-none chance of getting into a Hornet presently :-D

~Nate
I understand :) As cocky as this sounds, if I'm not limited by my eyes or my age or anything else I can't help, I will get the seat I want. :icon_smil

I'm sure many of you have heard that before and some of you have probably even said it yourselves....and I believe it just as strongly as anyone else who's said it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.