• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age limit approaching fast- Am I done for a Naval Aviation career?

BullGator

I am not ready to give up yet on the NAVY yet, but I need some information and help. I am going to schedule the ASTB within the next week or the end of this week.
Did you already ask people that know you well in professional positions (former or present military Officers especially) to write you a LOR? This takes the longest to get done for your packet as they will most likely need 3-8 weeks to write up a good LOR.

Did you get the OCS-application-checklist? If so, just start getting things done quick and even if your OR doesn't want to help a lot, they still "have to" (I could be very wrong here, but I think if you get passing ASTB scores, meet the criteria and get a minimum good-low PRT that they should send it) scan and send your packet's info to the pro-rec selection committee in Tenn --Show initiative and do a lot of leg work.

If you take the ASTB and do very well, I can imaging that your OR would want to help you more -I've read that for some people that is the preliminary gauge of how seriously some ORs take their potential candidates (again, may be very wrong here, second hand info).

Also, I believe that the age limit for NFO is a couple years higher than pilot. Look into that. The AF allows pilots until they are 29.5 yo (and the army is 32, I believe). Have fun-

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Well I do not want to be an NFO (I want to Pilot the craft), but yes I am good for that in the age department. The Army is 29 and so is the Air Force and the Coast Guard. So no all is lost. I am still very interested in being a Military Officer, maybe in the engineering field, if I cannot fly. Can I apply to different branches or am I not allowed?

BullGator

Well I do not want to be an NFO (I want to Pilot the craft), but yes I am good for that in the age department. The Army is 29 and so is the Air Force and the Coast Guard. So no all is lost. I am still very interested in being a Military Officer, maybe in the engineering field, if I cannot fly. Can I apply to different branches or am I not allowed?
Of course you can, just be upfront and honest with your recruiters about it (Should go without saying). It's good to look around at least. You need to take different tests though: AFOQT for the AF and AFAST for the Army.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I have been all along with all the recruiters I have talked to, but I have not applied yet. I have told them I am shopping around, because I plan to serve my country for longer than 20 years so I need to make sure what I choose (Branch and job) is proper for me. I have always wanted to be Naval aviator, but I just became a US citizen on December of last year and I was not 100% aware of the 27 Years of Age limit. I have done my homework and I want to serve my country and serve it well (I might have been born in another country, but the USA basically has given me most of what I have and has made me who I am for the most part). I like the idea of being a Nuke, but it will be the same thing that I am doing now, engineering management. I want to either fly or work in the engineering research and development field (even if it pays little). I have been studying for the ASTB and I am going to take it and see what happens. To be honest the Air Force Officer Recruiter was the most straight forward with me and when he gave me erroneous information, he even contacted me back and corrected himself and even apologized. I have several books about the tests that I have to take for all the branches. I need to find a site like this one for the Air Force or Army to ask questions.

BullGator

I have been all along with all the recruiters I have talked to, but I have not applied yet. I have told them I am shopping around, because I plan to serve my country for longer than 20 years so I need to make sure what I choose (Branch and job) is proper for me. I have always wanted to be Naval aviator, but I just became a US citizen on December of last year and I was not 100% aware of the 27 Years of Age limit. I have done my homework and I want to serve my country and serve it well (I might have been born in another country, but the USA basically has given me most of what I have and has made me who I am for the most part). I like the idea of being a Nuke, but it will be the same thing that I am doing now, engineering management. I want to either fly or work in the engineering research and development field (even if it pays little). I have been studying for the ASTB and I am going to take it and see what happens. To be honest the Air Force Officer Recruiter was the most straight forward with me and when he gave me erroneous information, he even contacted me back and corrected himself and even apologized. I have several books about the tests that I have to take for all the branches. I need to find a site like this one for the Air Force or Army to ask questions.
As far as the Nuke designation, I know that you need Calculus and 1 year of physics (with calc), and the ASTB isn't really necessary for Nuke either (the only designation, though, that I heard that about no ASTB).

I know there is a AF forums' site. Forget the name though. I'm not sure if the Army would have one specifically on aviation, but you never know until you look (google, AW, ect -search).

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Yeah, for the nuke program I do not need the ASTB. I would need Calculus and physics as you mentioned. I have a math minor and I know plenty of calculus (There are actually only two fundamental theorems of Calculus, which in really is ONE "The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" the rest is knowing how to utilize the Algebra). I also hold an EIT certification. I am looking into the Seabees as well. I just want to fly for a living for the most part. I know it is all about the needs of the service, but I also want to serve efficiently and happily.

I will continue to study and take the ASTB just to see how well I score (Next Week sometime)

Stretch32

The age limit for SNA/ SNFO is commsioned by 27. I had to get an age waiver while in OCS due to an injury and found out all about the topic the hard way. I wasn't prior service so it was an uphill battle but it can be done. Granted I was already in OCS when I got it and I've heard it's nearly impossible if your non-prior and aren't already in the system from being selected. Either way, I commisioned at 27 as a non-prior SNA so its possible.

As far as 26 being to old, its not. I applied in FEB of 2007 after having turned 26 in DEC 2006. I got in by applying to 3 boards in 4 months. Its possible if you work hard for yourself and find a recruiter that will help you get it put together quickly. If one guy won't help then find somebody else who will. "No" doesn't really mean "No" in the military if your determined to accomplish something. Just keep working hard and be ready to take the ASTB 2 or 3 times so you don't have to wait around 6 months at a time between boards.

Stretch

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was actually going to mention Stretch to you, but I figured he was too busy at the moment to comment. We were at OCS together and he is a prime example of what determination can get you. Hows primary going dude?

alwyn2nd

You are incorrect on your age requirements for the other services. Army is up to the age of 32 without waivers. Air Force max age is 28 based upon submiting your application. You must be one day less than 30 when entering your first day of pilot training.

You are able to apply for pilot training in the Army & Air Force Guard/Reserves without having served on active duty.

You can apply to any and all the branches including the Coast Guard.

You have no time to loose for the Navy, get on it.

phrogpilot73

You were a Corporal of Marines. Whole different animal than just an "E-4".

I never use paygrades to describe Marines unless it's a situation like here where there were folks from all of the services.

Just a pet peeve of mine. When a Marine says "I'm an E-6", he'll get a "Bullshit. You are a Staff Sergeant of Marines." from me.:icon_rage

This ain't the air force. Rank matters more than paygrade.
Agree wholeheartedly. I actually can't remember a time when I heard a guy say "I'm a E-X" unless it was in response to a question of what paygrade he was.

Sgt in the USMC is a WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL than Sgt in the AF.

My RTO from the battalion (a Sgt) fought to go to Sgt's course, as he had been selected for BOOST. The thinking from on high was why waste a slot on someone who doesn't need it. His argument? "What if I don't have what it takes to be an officer? I'm coming back to the fleet, and I don't want to be behind the power curve." They let him go, but something tells me in 4 years I'll be greeting a new 2ndLt...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have seen (from one of the finest SgtMaj I have seen) and adopted E-6 vice SSGt only in a case where SNM did not live up to obligations encompassed by that rank. guy goes UA and other baffoonery he is hence referred to as an E-6 until his court martial.

phrogpilot73

I have seen (from one of the finest SgtMaj I have seen) and adopted E-6 vice SSGt only in a case where SNM did not live up to obligations encompassed by that rank. guy goes UA and other baffoonery he is hence referred to as an E-6 until his court martial.
I was talking to a guy I work with who's a retired Senior Chief. He said that Chief's initiation is optional, however if you don't do it - they don't refer to you as Chief, they refer to you as E-7...

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I took the ASTB and I was upset with my scores... I got a 53 / 5 / 7 / 6

The fact that I could only do about 55 % of the Math questions killed me. The other three tests after the Mechanical section, I did not study much for them, so what can I expect! Overall I studied about three days, and read slightly over a few days before.

The Recruiter is telling me the scores are more than suffient and that I should not need to retake the test. I know I can make above a sixty, I was just lost the track of time and this is the first timed test I take in about two years.

I want to be as competitive, but the recruiter is telling me since my GPA was high and I am Hispanic (Suppousedly they need more Hispanic to diversify the NAVY), I will be more than fine. I do not want to get there over someone because my ethnicity. I know the tests can mean nothing sometimes and I have never been the greatest at timed tests either, but I simply want to achieve something without any free tickets.

What do you folks think, retake it or nahhh....

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I took the ASTB and I was upset with my scores... I got a 53 / 5 / 7 / 6

The fact that I could only do about 55 % of the Math questions killed me. The other three tests after the Mechanical section, I did not study much for them, so what can I expect! Overall I studied about three days, and read slightly over a few days before.

The Recruiter is telling me the scores are more than suffient and that I should not need to retake the test. I know I can make above a sixty, I was just lost the track of time and this is the first timed test I take in about two years.

I want to be as competitive, but the recruiter is telling me since my GPA was high and I am Hispanic (Suppousedly they need more Hispanic to diversify the NAVY), I will be more than fine. I do not want to get there over someone because my ethnicity. I know the tests can mean nothing sometimes and I have never been the greatest at timed tests either, but I simply want to achieve something without any free tickets.

What do you folks think, retake it or nahhh....

Listen to your recruiter. That's what I think.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Listen to your recruiter. That's what I think.

10-4

Now, without trying to piss off my employer, I need to get off and go get a physical... Last night, I felt so good that I ran two miles. And the fat loss continues. I just cannot starve myself and buld muscle mass.. LOL!