• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age limit approaching fast- Am I done for a Naval Aviation career?

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
Glad you are the resident expert. I suppose all those years I have in recruiting don't amount to much when you can be a sand crab in p-cola and become expert on this subject by just looking out a window. I guess having gotten a message or two from the Aviation Program Manager at CRUITCOM wrt the age of aviation applicants and OCS DORs is not noteworthy experience.

:icon_rage

I think this guy has better gouge...not certain, but just puttin' it out there

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The information that was given to us by the OPS officer at OCS several times while I was there was that prior enlisted were far more likely to DOR. The OPS O also said that this was part of the reason that they make them show up with uniforms ready to wear in the event that they do DOR. My own experience would back this up. I saw prior enlisted (including one roomate that lost his mind the night before RLP) DOR 3 to 1 over civilians. The resounding theme was that they would rather go back to their old job and finish out 1,2,3... years than deal with all the bullshit that is OCS. Take it for what you will, but that was my experience.

If this is true now it is an anomaly. Also consider, he was talking about guys ordered in from the fleet. I was talking about prior service vets that applied as a civilian through a recruiter. My personal experience down at AOCS (a much harder program) was just the opposite. I didn't see a single prior DOR, including at least five ordered in from the fleet. Years later as a recruiter, I was sent messages from CRUITCOM saying priors were waived on age in part because CRUITCOM did not expect an increase in DOR due to age. I would be interested in the numbers over a few years versus what the Ops O may have seen during his tenure. Don't forget, everything he says to a candidate is all part of the program. Consider his motives. From CRUITCOMs perspective, if priors DORed at a higher rate they simply would not send as many down there.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I would be interested in the numbers over a few years versus what the Ops O may have seen during his tenure. Don't forget, everything he says to a candidate is all part of the program. Consider his motives. From CRUITCOMs perspective, if priors DORed at a higher rate they simply would not send as many down there.

All very good points, and my time at OCS was relatively short and somewhat out of the ordinary as they had just moved OCS to Rhode Island. The Ops O was very rehearsed and what he told the candidates was definitely all part of "the show". I was also speaking strictly of enlisted from the fleet. Priors that were walking in from the civilian side definitely had a different dynamic to them. I would be interested to see the actual numbers too.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If this is true now it is an anomaly. Also consider, he was talking about guys ordered in from the fleet. I was talking about prior service vets that applied as a civilian through a recruiter. My personal experience down at AOCS (a much harder program) was just the opposite. I didn't see a single prior DOR, including at least five ordered in from the fleet.

From what I saw at AOCS (much harder program.....amen), it has more to do with paygrade than rank interms of DORs and priors.

The ones E-1 to E-3 and E-6 and above did fine. The E-4 and E-5 group DOR'd at a much higher rate. We had several from all three groups in my class, including a Senior Chief.

E-1 to E-3: "I'm used to getting yelled at.......no big deal"

E-6 and above: "This is just bullshit harassment package and it'll be over in a few short weeks. It's worth it in the long term to stick it out and finish."

E-4 to E-5: "This is just bullshit harassment package. I've been in too long (5 years?)to put up with this crap."

All anecdotal evidence, but just my perspective. YMMV.

If anybody knows best on this, it's Wink.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
^That is spot on the attitudes that I saw when I was there. In fact I think I heard almost those exact words out of one of the chiefs in my class that graduated. And I heard almost those exact words (E-4 and E-5) out of my E-5 roomate who said he'd put up with too much crap in his (?) years to deal with the bullshit that is RLP... He told me this at about 0600 the morning of RLP...

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I am DONE... No Naval Aviation for me! At least the recruiter said. What else do I need to do, or talk to?

Air Force, Army?

phrogpilot73

E-6 and above: "This is just bullshit harassment package and it'll be over in a few short weeks. It's worth it in the long term to stick it out and finish."

All anecdotal evidence, but just my perspective. YMMV.
I was an E-4, but had the E-6 attitude you post above when I went through Plebe Year at USNA.

BullGator

I am DONE... No Naval Aviation for me! At least the recruiter said. What else do I need to do, or talk to?

Air Force, Army?
What did he say was the reason, if you don't mind me asking?

Marines: "The tip of the spear." Age limit is same as Navy's.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Well I will be 26 in January 2008 and he said that there is not enough time in a year to complete OCS, I think it is BS, but no way of telling. If I get everything done and infront of a board within the next two months, do I still not have enough time? He also told me they are not needing pilots and there are about 56 pilot applicants every month or so. I am deffinatelly competitive and I know my shit about airplanes and flying. I know I can do well on the ASTB. I am not where I want to be on the PT, but I can make it.

Now what are my choises? What should I do?

Clux4

Banned
Maybe you should take the ASTB and run the PRT and see where you are. Get other requirements done and go back to talk to the recruiter. He might be impressed and want to help. As it is, he probably does not want to waist his time on you especially if you are pushing it.

Cheers!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I was an E-4, but had the E-6 attitude you post above when I went through Plebe Year at USNA.

You were a Corporal of Marines. Whole different animal than just an "E-4".

I never use paygrades to describe Marines unless it's a situation like here where there were folks from all of the services.

Just a pet peeve of mine. When a Marine says "I'm an E-6", he'll get a "Bullshit. You are a Staff Sergeant of Marines." from me.:icon_rage

This ain't the air force. Rank matters more than paygrade.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Maybe you should take the ASTB and run the PRT and see where you are. Get other requirements done and go back to talk to the recruiter. He might be impressed and want to help. As it is, he probably does not want to waist his time on you especially if you are pushing it.

Cheers!

I am going to call him tomorrow and schedule the ASTB. I worried about my push-ups though. Seat-ups I should be fine and the run more less.

corvettetimmy

I never use paygrades to describe Marines unless it's a situation like here where there were folks from all of the services.

Just a pet peeve of mine. When a Marine says "I'm an E-6", he'll get a "Bullshit. You are a Staff Sergeant of Marines." from me.:icon_rage

This ain't the air force. Rank matters more than paygrade.

Deja vu. I had this conversation Monday while flying in a circle for 20 minutes with an IP that flew Harriers in the fleet. Hmmm

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I am not ready to give up yet on the NAVY yet, but I need some information and help. I am going to schedule the ASTB within the next week or the end of this week.