• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age and health restrictions USMC wannabe pilot

asmec47

Are there waivers available for a wannabe female aviator with respect to abnormal paps?

If not, what exactly are the age restrictions to become an aviator? Heard/read a few different things and would like to get this sorted out.

Thanks

JonTay

After seeing the views to replies ratio on this thread I figured someone should give it a shot.

Abnormal something or other:
I don't know the technicalities of that kind of waiver, but I will say that most things are waiver-able if the condition isn't going to affect you in the field.

Age limit:
I believe the age limit is 28, but again, easily waiver-able if they think you're worth it.

Get those PFT and ASTB scores high and the paperwork will fall in place

asmec47

Thanks for the reply, and that's what I expected. How would someone go about motivating an OSO to help with finding these waivers?

JonTay

Be a stud, mentally and physically. Show them you're worth the effort. Nail a high ASTB score and a 280/290 PFT and they'll probably be ready to hook you up.

Also keep an open dialogue with your OSO, let them know early on that's what you need. They should be the ones who submit these waivers.

exNavyOffRec

Are there waivers available for a wannabe female aviator with respect to abnormal paps?

If not, what exactly are the age restrictions to become an aviator? Heard/read a few different things and would like to get this sorted out.

Thanks

I would be more concerned about the abnormal pap, I have had a few females with abnormal paps and none were medically cleared by the USN until after they had consecutive normal paps.

asmec47

The thing is I did nail the ASTB and pretty well on a practice PFT but they both expired. I checked in with the OSO about once a month telling him my mile times, weight, pull-ups, etc... but about 5 months ago stopped getting responses on emails and phone calls. Seems like he thinks this won't happen.

I'm 26. The link with the waivers is useful, but seems like it only applies once you are in the service. I don't want to age out of the system before the pap clears. The doc says I'm absolutely fine and that she is willing to document this for the military but the OSO didn't think there was any pipeline to send this through.

JonTay

What are your ASTB/PFT scores? -If you don't mind me asking

Marine OSO's are a little different in my experience. If they think you're a lost cause they'll just stop answering (At least on the West Coast). Prove them otherwise.
They don't care about promises or small progress, they deal only in tangibles. Communication with the OST is incredibly important. I bugged the hell out of my OSO until he called me back. Show up at the office if you need to, just make sure you listen to whatever they tell you to improve and take it to heart.

All waivers are required before you go to OCS, doesn't sound like you need an age one though.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

The thing is I did nail the ASTB and pretty well on a practice PFT but they both expired. I checked in with the OSO about once a month telling him my mile times, weight, pull-ups, etc... but about 5 months ago stopped getting responses on emails and phone calls. Seems like he thinks this won't happen.

I'm 26. The link with the waivers is useful, but seems like it only applies once you are in the service. I don't want to age out of the system before the pap clears. The doc says I'm absolutely fine and that she is willing to document this for the military but the OSO didn't think there was any pipeline to send this through.

FYI the ASTB doesn't expire, scores are good for life.

asmec47

7/7/7 65 for the ASTB and for the life of me can't remember the practice PFT, it's in my material at home but I'm way down south for work now. I didn't know that the ASTB didn't expire, I thought it did after two years so that's useful. The mile time was the hardest for me, but luckily my fiance was a marine and I started crossfit to help my PFT score.

This guy is totally hot and cold! But as soon as this little obstacle came up contact really dropped off. Unfortunately I live in Alaska and the OSO is in Oregon so getting in touch is really the problem.

I have read that you have to be 29 by the time you enter primary flight school. Does anyone know if this is true or know where I could find this out?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have read that you have to be 29 by the time you enter primary flight school. Does anyone know if this is true or know where I could find this out?
What are you applying for? What is your GPA? What does the rest of your package consist of?:confused:

All you have in your Profile Info is your birthdate and gender. Hard to offer advice with no info available!;)
BzB

JonTay

I can almost guarantee that PFT score, or lack therof, is part of the issue. Go out and run one yourself and record it. Show the OST that you are physically capable of OCS. They dont want to wast time sending someone who wont be able to keep up.

That distance doesnt help, I'll give you that. Call and email, every day all day. Back when I first joined I couldnt get ahold of my OSO for a week. They didnt have an answering machine, so I called, put it on speakerphone and let it ring for about 45 minutes before some pissed off Sgt answered the phone and gave me the OSO's cell.

In conclusion, PFT score and open line of communication

As far as being 29 by primary,
at 26 you shouldnt have an issue with that. Even if you end up going in later, age waivers arent a big deal.

asmec47

GPA is 3.48 in geology. Too much information could also be damaging, so please don't begrudge me for that.

Thanks for the advice. As much as it sucks to keep waiting I work offshore and can only run on the helipad with nice bosses on the ship. Other than that I can do burpees for cardio and we have pull-up bars on most of the ships. Trying to get work on shore after the summer so hopefully the doc stuff and PFT will work out by the end of the summer.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are you applying for? What is your GPA? What does the rest of your package consist of?:confused:

All you have in your Profile Info is your birthdate and gender. Hard to offer advice with no info available!;)
BzB
GPA is 3.48 in geology. Too much information could also be damaging, so please don't begrudge me for that..
Nope, don't begrudge you at all. The quality of advice you ask for here, and correct answers to your questions; depends upon your application package info (like the info provided on the signature line at the bottom of most applicants posts). It's not like we're asking for sensitive info, like bank/credit card account #s, passwords, PINs, personal family info etc., but that's your call.;)
BzB