• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

after commissioning

Chris94

CWO selected
If you want to go aviation why would you look at subs first?
I'm not saying that I would, my goal is to get commissioned as a Naval Aviator, but I was just wondering if I would still be able to reach my goal if I was forced into subs or as a SWO.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only possible thing I could think of would be due to some alergic reaction, say amine, etc..

aminea.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm a bit too lazy to find the instruction. Subs have had record retention over the past 3-4 years, so you might meet more than the avg lat transfers, and a lot of the guys you mention are probably in case 2 in that they didn't screen DH for some reason. As with any market, past trends are not indicitave of future performance.

exNavyOffRec

I'm a bit too lazy to find the instruction. Subs have had record retention over the past 3-4 years, so you might meet more than the avg lat transfers, and a lot of the guys you mention are probably in case 2 in that they didn't screen DH for some reason. As with any market, past trends are not indicitave of future performance.

very true, past does not indicate the future, these guys are other than the ones I know that didn't screen for DH or failed PNEO, it was probably that there were no spots. On carriers to meet the demand of all the second tour nukes they flipped a few positions from LDO to line, and in one case for about a year they split the Reactor Electrical Assistant job into 2 positions, one stayed REA the other became the RCA.

One of these guys was told while he was looking for orders for shore that his YG was overmanned because so many JO's had stayed.

SWO Bubba

None
Is this in an instruction somewhere?
It's not an instruction. The inbound and outbound quotas for the transfer redesignation board are established for each board by the board quota letter, which is signed out by the community managers in BUPERS-3. For the June and Nov boards, the sub community let a significant number of 1120s xfer at the 6-8 YCS mark. This is the sweet spot for SWOs as well, but we let more go earlier than the Sub guys. You can get the quota letters at http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/BOARDS/ADMINISTRATIVE/TRANSFERREDESIGNATION/Pages/Status.aspx

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO Bubba said:
It's not an instruction. The inbound and outbound quotas for the transfer redesignation board are established for each board by the board quota letter, which is signed out by the community managers in BUPERS-3.
I know and this is what I was driving at unless this was some wicked crazy requirement by NR which I wouldn't put past them. I love questions from folks asking if they can lateral transfer from point A to point B. The typical answers that follow always make it seem this stuff written in stone. I've seen PERS overlook a lot of "rules" when it comes to lateral transfers.

NR...not so much. I submitted one redesignation package for Intel before I went SWO after flight school, two lateral transfer applications to Intel, and an application for SWO Nuke. Throughout all that, one thing I learned is that most anything is possible but that if your community doesn't want to let you go for whatever reason, you're not going anywhere. As for SWO Nuke, I learned that NR do things by the book for everything, period. I graduated in the top 3rd of my power school class, qualified first at prototype, and was offered a staff pickup gig. My application for SWO Nuke was denied due the requirement that applicants have taken a full year of calc based physics in addition to a full year of calc. I had the calc, but only took a year of general physics, not calc based. Even with my XO (who was a SWO Nuke) and my CO making phone calls on my behalf, the only answer we got was "No! No calc based physics, no SWO Nuke for you! Now go away and stop bothering us. Rules are rules." And that was when I learned that anything is possible unless it's NR you're dealing with.