• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

after commissioning

Chris94

CWO selected
say i get a sub spot after officer commissioning, is it possible to get into flight school after I serve my time on a sub or even during when I'm not deployed?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Timing, needs of the Navy, if you've completed your sub commitment, available openings.

It is EXTREMELY hard to make the jump from Sub Officer to Aviator. I know one guy that did it, and it was purely luck and timing that allowed him to do it. I say this because once Nuke power gets their mitts on you, they will never let you go. You'd have better luck going SWO then transition to aviation.

-ea6bflyr ;)

snake020

Contributor
If you are intent on going aviation, I hate to say it but your best route is to go SWO. If you go sub, you're looking at all the schools, then your nuke commitment... by the time you've gone through all that you'll have enough time in that it will be very difficult to cross over.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Your best bet is to really excel at whatever career you get, prove your worth, and be a pro. If your timing works out, then maybe you can switch. If not, at least you rocked out the job you got and set yourself up for the future. Don't be that guy who makes it clear he'd rather be somewhere else.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Very unlikely.

First, forget flight school in port. The Navy doesn't just TAD people to a 2+ year program for the hell of it.

Second, the earliest you can lat xfer from submarines is post DH. That means 9-10 years of service and lat xfer as an O4 ready to be an XO to throw your hat in the ring with the O1s. Can be done theoretically but it's a step hackward to take two step forward.

There are three scenarios where you can get a waiver to lat xfer earlier:

1. the stars align and DH is overmanned, which will allow the sub force to let you go. That has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but I've heard its happened on rare occasion.

2. You fail to qualify submarines or fail PNEO twice, thus disqualifying you to go on to be a DH. Only problem here is aviation isn't likely to want a guy who has demonstrated poor performance. Also your QOL from sucking will be miserable.

3. You become NPQ subs, but somehow can pass a flight physical. Dunno what condition can do that, and even in this case NR might make you a SWO nuke.

So yea, there you are.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my department heads is a former sub guy who lat transferred during his shore tour after his JO sub tour. Doable, but don't count on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

exNavyOffRec

Second, the earliest you can lat xfer from submarines is post DH. That means 9-10 years of service and lat xfer as an O4 ready to be an XO to throw your hat in the ring with the O1s. Can be done theoretically but it's a step hackward to take two step forward.

I have known several in the past few years that lat transfered (PAO/CEC/Intel/EDO) after their first shore tour before DH, a few were subs and a few were surface.

I also know of one sub guy that most sub guys probably wish would have lat transfered.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's more of an un-written rule. NR does not play by the same rules as everyone else.

-ea6bflyr ;)
If this is a Naval Reactors requirement regarding not being able to lat transfer until after DH tour, then there is DEFINITELY an instruction. I could see there being an "unwritten rule" with PERS, however.