• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Officer to Marine? Interservice Transfer

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Air Force Transfer
Dose anyone or know of anyone that has done an inter-service transfer in the last year. It seems like I keep hearing the pipeline for pilots both Navy and Marines are backed up for pilot training. Dose anyone have any advice? Any help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Where are you in the process? Which service are you in and which do you want to go to?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Where are you in the process? Which service are you in and which do you want to go to?

Well, his profile says he's an AF officer & pilot. Stationed in Colorado but currently deployed to Iraq. FWIW.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Don't know about anyone who has done it recently, but there was a guy who used to post here from time to time a couple of years ago who went through the whole process. PM Master Bates if you would like to try to get in touch with him.

Snake020 did it. And he already posted in this thread.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Yeah that's who I was thinking of... I skipped past most of the posts from years past... didn't catch that Snake had posted here already.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Can someone tell me if I am getting this straight...

If I'm an O-1 in the Navy, it is possible to get a interservice transfer to the USMC without having to go through OCS, and just going to TBS? I was always told every Marine Officer had to go to OCS or PLC. Just trying to look into options here...and I'm not too big of a fan of going through another commissioning program, but hey, I'll do what I have to do.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Can someone tell me if I am getting this straight...

If I'm an O-1 in the Navy, it is possible to get a interservice transfer to the USMC without having to go through OCS, and just going to TBS? I was always told every Marine Officer had to go to OCS or PLC. Just trying to look into options here...and I'm not too big of a fan of going through another commissioning program, but hey, I'll do what I have to do.

When I was in flight school (06-07 timeframe) guys were switching from Navy helos to USMC helos. They would finish out flight school and then go to TBS. They didn't have a stop at OCS since they were all already commissioned officers.

I heard it can be a pain in the ass to be a senior O-2 or junior O-3 at TBS as you are, by default, the senior man for everything.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
When I was in flight school (06-07 timeframe) guys were switching from Navy helos to USMC helos. They would finish out flight school and then go to TBS. They didn't have a stop at OCS since they were all already commissioned officers.

I heard it can be a pain in the ass to be a senior O-2 or junior O-3 at TBS as you are, by default, the senior man for everything.

Alright roger that. I'm trying to get a recall as a SNA (go figure there usually aren't many recalls for SNA's :rolleyes:) and trying to figure out what options there are if this doesn't work out. Trying to figure out if USMC and USCG are viable and realistic options for getting to SNA.

Whitefoot

None
Alright roger that. I'm trying to get a recall as a SNA (go figure there usually aren't many recalls for SNA's :rolleyes:) and trying to figure out what options there are if this doesn't work out. Trying to figure out if USMC and USCG are viable and realistic options for getting to SNA.
If you want to fly in the Coast Guard right now, you have to either have experience as a military pilot(experience being 500 hours as a military pilot and graduate of a military flight program, or, if you are not already an officer, go through OCS and compete for a Flight School spot. Any other questions with flying in the Coast Guard, PM me and I can either give you the answer or tell you where to find it.