• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF at Whiting

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, so I'm in the Air Force and just found out that I will be going to NAS Whiting Field for the first phase of UPT (I believe it's called Primary in the Navy ... please correct me if I'm wrong). To be completely honest, I have no idea what to expect -- the structure, the different phases, requirements, etc. I don't want to be completely ignorant and come unprepared .... so does anybody have any advice on what I should do to get ready (not studying, but more along the lines of the swim test -- do I even have to take it?) and things I should be aware of? Also, just any general advice on being one of the AF people there? Thanks so much!

PS. Are there any AF instructor pilots there?

Okay, some weirdness on the site today and in merging the two threads by Apt Lt, both somehow are now deleted, so the above post is a redo. Sorry for the confusion. Discuss...

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Ok, so I'm in the Air Force and just found out that I will be going to NAS Whiting Field for the first phase of UPT (I believe it's called Primary in the Navy ... please correct me if I'm wrong). To be completely honest, I have no idea what to expect -- the structure, the different phases, requirements, etc. I don't want to be completely ignorant and come unprepared .... so does anybody have any advice on what I should do to get ready (not studying, but more along the lines of the swim test -- do I even have to take it?) and things I should be aware of? Also, just any general advice on being one of the AF people there? Thanks so much!

PS. Are there any AF instructor pilots there?

First, you will be assigned to VT-3 which is the AF-Navy joint squadron at NAS WF. As far as the different phases, I can't really speak with any authority because I am just starting Primary (and yes, that is what it is called), but there is an initial "contacts" phase plus Aerobatics, and basic and radio instruments phases. There might be a couple of more, but again I don't know for sure.

As far as the swimming, you will go through API (Aviation Preflight Indoctrination) the Navy's form of ground school in Pensacola, FL. There you will study Aerodynamics, Aviation weather, Navigation, Aircraft Engines, and Flight Rules and Regulations. There will be PT and survival training involved, but as a USAF student, you will be exempt from the swimming portion of API. Lucky you :icon_rage:

I know that the AF students have their own swim training when they start Primary, but I couldn't begin to tell you what that involves. I just know that you will NOT have to do the mile swim.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that the AF students have their own swim training when they start Primary, but I couldn't begin to tell you what that involves. I just know that you will NOT have to do the mile swim.

USAF swimming is different....couldn't resist:icon_smil

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
25 cent wings at Ollie's on Tuesday (if they still have that), plus as a bonus that place is littered with barely legal waitresses...uh...y'know, if that's your thing.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
First, you will be assigned to VT-3 which is the AF-Navy joint squadron at NAS WF. As far as the different phases, I can't really speak with any authority because I am just starting Primary (and yes, that is what it is called), but there is an initial "contacts" phase plus Aerobatics, and basic and radio instruments phases. There might be a couple of more, but again I don't know for sure.

As far as the swimming, you will go through API (Aviation Preflight Indoctrination) the Navy's form of ground school in Pensacola, FL. There you will study Aerodynamics, Aviation weather, Navigation, Aircraft Engines, and Flight Rules and Regulations. There will be PT and survival training involved, but as a USAF student, you will be exempt from the swimming portion of API. Lucky you :icon_rage:

I'd say half of the instructors at VT-3 are AF pilots. In addition to that, just under half of the students are AF, so you will by no means be a minority. I've been in VT-3 for about 2 months and haven't had any problems. Nothing you should be worried about, things are fairly laid back on our side of the house. Any questions about the squadron, give a shout.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I think if you select T-38's you will have to do A-stage forms. My neighbor was an AF guy who just moved last week. So I talked with him quite a bit. Pretty much everything will be the same as all the other SMA's other then A-stage. But you won't do that until after you select.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Plus, get ready to wait around to fly! Not cracking on VT-3, but a few AF studs checked into 3 the same day I checked into the wing (about three or so weeks ahead of me), and now I'm at least two weeks ahead of them all (some even more).

Plus, you lucky AF guys get to go back and do your version of the API swimming, so yes, you will have to swim.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
25 cent wings at Ollie's on Tuesday (if they still have that), plus as a bonus that place is littered with barely legal waitresses...uh...y'know, if that's your thing.

Was there last night. They're good, but they're 35 cents a wing.

But you're right about Miltown's finest wait staff.