• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerial Vehicle Operator (7371) Information

gcfgiv

These are not FY 22 candidates, to be an FY 22 candidate you need to be commissioned by the end of FY 22, that would be after OCS. The last FY 22 candidates left for OCS in early July.
I don't know anything about the recruiting process, but if the new board schedule says to pick FY-23 quotas (28jul23), does that mean they will be shipped off right after selection ? Because if not wouldn't they technically be FY-24 ? Again I know nothing about the semantics and terminology.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Hey all y’all anxious applicants;

I don’t have a lot of hard data for you. Obviously the program is somewhat behind what it was thought it would be a couple years ago. I speak as a contract Simulator instructor at VT-10, where the current AVPs (they changed the acronym to pilot instead of operator) are going through the NFO simulator syllabus before doing some stuff at VT-4 (not smart on what exactly they’ll do there; it’s normally for all NFOs not going to jets. If it’s anything like what we’re doing at 10, it’s a very slightly modified version of the NFO syllabus. I imagine it will change after a couple classes worth of critiques and evolve into a somewhat different beast, but I could be wrong).

My understanding from the AVPs I’ve done sims with is all hearsay, but expect about ten selectees this board. Currently they’re planning to spend time in Pax River until the drones are operational, at which point the first spot will be point Mugu Ca (great spot btw!). They might start doing two boards per year; the huge 100ish~ per year might still be a couple years away. Just gouge I’ve heard from the current crop.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know anything about the recruiting process, but if the new board schedule says to pick FY-23 quotas (28jul23), does that mean they will be shipped off right after selection ? Because if not wouldn't they technically be FY-24 ? Again I know nothing about the semantics and terminology.
A person that is selected for FY 23 would need to ship to OCS mid July 2022 to about end of June 2023 so they can complete OCS and commission prior to Sept 30 2023

gcfgiv

A person that is selected for FY 23 would need to ship to OCS mid July 2022 to about end of June 2023 so they can complete OCS and commission prior to Sept 30 2023
If the board conviens August 28th I hope they can streamline the class schedule and selection process because an NFO canidate I know got selected in November, and is currently in OCS right now!

gcfgiv

I don’t have a lot of hard data for you. Obviously the program is somewhat behind what it was thought it would be a couple years ago. I speak as a contract Simulator instructor at VT-10, where the current AVPs (they changed the acronym to pilot instead of operator) are going through the NFO simulator syllabus before doing some stuff at VT-4 (not smart on what exactly they’ll do there; it’s normally for all NFOs not going to jets. If it’s anything like what we’re doing at 10, it’s a very slightly modified version of the NFO syllabus. I imagine it will change after a couple classes worth of critiques and evolve into a somewhat different beast, but I could be wrong).

My understanding from the AVPs I’ve done sims with is all hearsay, but expect about ten selectees this board. Currently they’re planning to spend time in Pax River until the drones are operational, at which point the first spot will be point Mugu Ca (great spot btw!). They might start doing two boards per year; the huge 100ish~ per year might still be a couple years away. Just gouge I’ve heard from the current crop.
I noticed after looking at FLTMPS the commands they were going to. Pax river would be a great place to do interoperability as they seem to have almost every platform there either at VX-1, VX-20, VXS-1, HX-21, the Salty Dogs, and there is another airfield that operates UAS platforms and had a programed UAS competition a few years ago. There are huge program offices, tons of stuff to learn in the PAX river area. Oh yeah I forgot TPS school too.

FlyingGator

Hey I read an article that speculated that AVP’s will be operating out of the E-2, is there any truth to that?

gcfgiv

Hey I read an article that speculated that AVP’s will be operating out of the E-2, is there any truth to that?
Well I don't know anything personally about it but the P-8 has a UAS tab on the display so I can only assume with the future the P-8 will fly with an AVP who will get the UAS closer into a contested zone or closer to an enemy combatant without jeopardizing the crew, future sensors onboard can then be analyzed on site by AWOs and other NFO's who can be telling the AVO where to move the aircraft to to get a good mission product ( will this happen soon, probably not)

ngedikes

Thanks for this insight. I looked at the NFO pipeline (https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/training-nfo.asp) and it shows a path for the MQ-25. Do you know what NAVPTS means in the diagram under Primary/Intermediate/Advanced NAVPTS? Can’t seem to find what the acronym is.

cdunc421

Thanks for this insight. I looked at the NFO pipeline (https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/training-nfo.asp) and it shows a path for the MQ-25. Do you know what NAVPTS means in the diagram under Primary/Intermediate/Advanced NAVPTS? Can’t seem to find what the acronym is.
I think it’s funny how they have that whole diagram and don’t even mention the existence of the MQ-25 in any other way. The fact that they go into all that detail for all the other programs is just icing on the cake lol

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Not that I’ve heard in any way shape or form. But who knows? They will be on the carrier, possibly attached to the E-2 squadron tho. Be hard to give up one of the five seats though….

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Well I don't know anything personally about it but the P-8 has a UAS tab on the display so I can only assume with the future the P-8 will fly with an AVP who will get the UAS closer into a contested zone or closer to an enemy combatant without jeopardizing the crew, future sensors onboard can then be analyzed on site by AWOs and other NFO's who can be telling the AVO where to move the aircraft to to get a good mission product ( will this happen soon, probably not)
Yeah sounds more likely, if I understand correctly there’s a little more room in the back of a P-8 lol

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I think it’s funny how they have that whole diagram and don’t even mention the existence of the MQ-25 in any other way. The fact that they go into all that detail for all the other programs is just icing on the cake lol
This is a very very new program. Only ten students this year. And none have started the VT-4 syllabus yet. With more time, changes will happen and they’ll have a better idea of what it is. For reference, we created several new simulator events throughout, as the first class was progressing.

cdunc421

This is a very very new program. Only ten students this year. And none have started the VT-4 syllabus yet. With more time, changes will happen and they’ll have a better idea of what it is. For reference, we created several new simulator events throughout, as the first class was progressing.
No yea I get that. I’m just amused at how they jumped the gun a bit. They’re not sure how that pipeline is gonna go cus the first class is still going through it, and yet they updated the diagram. It’s like they started to update the whole page, realized they didn’t know enough, and just stopped in the middle.