• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

advice on goin to Vance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajin

Being at Moody. The 12 hour days don't last the entire time. Once you get off formal release you don't need to be there the whole time. And as far as graduating on time. Yeah right. Of course to get you to your grad date they fly you twice a day and sim you once if not more. And even then you might not graduate on time. Three activities a day with nearly nil time to prep. That's a lot of fun. To quote; "Air Force training isn't better or worse. It's just different."

Good luck at Vance.

boomersooner

Primary- Vance AFB
I am currently at Vance. I have a wife and a kid and a dog named Boudreaux. I like it up here a lot so far. I haven't started yet, but it is a nice change of pace from API because I have had couple of weeks to get settled in. There are a lot of things for your spouse and kids to do if you are married and have children. It's a nicer small base, and very clean. I have several friends here that have finished or are finishing, and they said the flying is great. They are single, so they don't like the fact that you have to drive to OKC or Stillwater or Tulsa for some nightlife. I am also from Oklahoma, which is another plus for coming here. The whole 12 hour formal release thing only is an issue if your flight commander says it is. It is all dependant on how your class/flight does and the discretion of your flight commander. That previous statement is what a couple of navy guys ahead of me told me. Take it for what it is, and if you have any questions, fire away.

xof

I'm half-way through API, and still trying to go anywhere but Vance... I've been told a few glimmers of hope... somebody might roll into my class, and might have to go to Vance for failing too many tests, but I'm pretty much resigned to the prospect. What I said about "you WILL finish on time" is just my understanding from people who have gone. I don't know first-hand, and I hope I don't have the opportunity to have such first-hand experience.

boomersooner

Primary- Vance AFB
The fact of the matter is this...You won't get sent to Vance for failing tests. The way it works is either you can volunteer, or if you are there in A-pool on per diem, you will be randomly selected out of the other people on per diem. Just because you "fail too many tests" doesn't mean you are going to Vance, it means you are going home because the Navy said step into my office because your are *$@*ing fired. That is probably the most idiotic and uninformed bit of gouge about anything Navy-related in a long time. Here is some factual gouge, imagine that on Airwarriors....Vance is getting T-6's sometime in DEC 04/JAN 05 timeframe and is going to start training in them sometime in either in MAY/JUN 05 timeframe.

lockerboy

Dude, if you are failing tests at API, you got more things to worry about then coming to Vance. It might actually help you to come here since they will force you to study. And boomer is right, the Navy does not send the 'crappy' people to Vance. In fact most of the guys that have finished since i've been here (April) are in the top of their classes. Its really not that bad, although you do have to put up with some stupid stuff. The truth is though, that if you can't make it here, you probably wouldn't be able to make it through Whiting or Corpus either.

Sajin

Moody has the T-6. I heard once Vance gets them Moody is not going to take anymore Navy students. I've also heard that Moody is one of the best UPT (Primary) pilot training bases in the AF. Maybe the best. I'd have to agree that you learn a ton here. Some extra gouge that may or may not be helpful.

My flight commander explained that at AF bases you start behind because the Navy does not require a private pilots prior to primary. The AF does. However, if you keep the work ethic and attitude up you will catch up if not surpass your classmates. Oh and any gouge that says you get jets for going to Vance or Moody. Bull! Don't let anyone in A-pool tell you differently.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I really want to fly that plane, but am very skeptical about going AF just for that. I for sure wouldn't do it for the tweet, but there is just something about the T-6 that draws me to them. Call me crazy, but I may volunteer for Moody. Or Vance if they have them when I start. Thanks for all the info, some good stuff in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.