• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

advice on goin to Vance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTTyoung

well...it looks like my I'm goin to Vance for primary. Any one out there made it through all that? I really wanted corpus, a badluck draw on a random selection is not takin me there. Whats air force training like? has anyone gone there.....if so pleeease enlighten me on what is was like. thanks

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
I would suggest not going there wih the attitude that it is "chairforce crap." You arent going to make it far with an attitude like that. You are going to work your ass off no matter where you go. Make the best of it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i've had friends go through AF primary... a positive mental attitude is essential. Hooking a ride doesn't mean as much as it does in the navy so don't let it get to you.
Plus, No EP's in the plane! :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF is "hooking a ride"? Getting an unsat? Stupid AF terminology. ;)

Sabre170

None
The chair force is not all that bad. While enlisted in the Marine Corps, I had the opportunity to be one of 18 Marines (everything from a MajGen down to a PFC) stationed on Yokota AB. It took me a year before I realized I was not going to set them straight, and teach everyone of them some military discipline (I had AF Colonels saluting me with Mail in their hands..., chewing gum in uniform, walking while smoking, drinking from a soda can while walking... the nerve to call themselves a military unit was almost unbearable.)

Anyway, before I get back on that soapbox... It turned out that Yokota was a blast. I had the same size house as a Marine Sgt that a Marine LtCol had. the facilities were great and I finished three years of college there.

Just realize they have a different mission, they want everyone to be friends, and don't let the fratinzation get to you.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
How much truth is there in that by volunteering to go to Moody or Vance, you can bypass months of waiting for API?

bulldozer3

pilot
you can get bumped up a few weeks, but WWHHYYY ?? :)
A-pool is so money, once you start API you'll wish you were in A-pool as long as possible. Its definitly not worth giving up months of paid vacation at the beach to go to a worse primary location.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
bulldozer3 said:
you can get bumped up a few weeks, but WWHHYYY ?? :)
A-pool is so money, once you start API you'll wish you were in A-pool as long as possible. Its definitly not worth giving up months of paid vacation at the beach to go to a worse primary location.

Apool is cool for a little bit... I was bored out of my mind after about a month.

jg5343

pilot
A few months means a butt load if you have wife and two kids waiting for you to finish. I'll go anywhere if it saves me 6 months.

jg5343

pilot
bch said:
Apool is cool for a little bit... I was bored out of my mind after about a month.

I sat on hold for 5 months before dive school and it gets WAY old. I don't care how easy or fun it is, I want to get started and done as quick as I can.

bulldozer3

pilot
either way, your not going to get bumped up a few months... MAYBE a few weeks at best, but still not worth it. Your family will never see you at vance with their 12 hour days anyways, versus at corpus you do with your time what you want. I got in A-pool mid- june, by the time i did all my initial check in things the first few weeks, i started IFS the next week, then i had 3 weeks off between IFS and starting API, and 2 of those we were all gone during the hurricanne.

So if you wanna volunteer for AF, go for it, save another poor soul, but i dont think its really gonna save you that much time, especially with the AF 12 hour workdays.

Eagle32

I'm taking you to the looneybin.
STAY NAVY!!! Agree with the dozer, mandatory study 12 hours a day is brutal. And anyway, the instructors in Corpus are the best in the world!!!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
jg5343 said:
A few months means a butt load if you have wife and two kids waiting for you to finish. I'll go anywhere if it saves me 6 months.

Dude, take advantage of the time with your family! A few months in A-pool where you can see them every day sure beats hurrying to the fleet where you (I assume ... fleet guys back me up) are bombarded with an endless set of quals to do. Being stuck in the pool is prime vacation with the family time. I'm down in Corpus and have spent the last three months doing nothing but playing x-box and hanging out with my wife, it has been GREAT!! :D

If your family didn't move to P'cola then I guess you want to get out of there, but not moving your familiy with you really sucks for everyone. Much better to endure them losing jobs/schools while remaining together in my opinion. I guess some situations don't allow it though.

xof

The sooner you API, the sooner:
-you start primary
-your flight pay starts
-you get your wings
-your commitment starts (if you even care about having a commitment)

Vacation is cool, but speaking for myself, having from graduation to late September was almost too much. Oh yeah. And I still got stuck with Vance (did not volunteer). Here's the deal, though. Volunteering for Vance/Moody MAY make you class up sooner, but it WILL get you through primary faster. You're given a finish date the day you arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.