• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice on a BDCP and NROTC decision

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
m26, I wouldn't be so sure. We had a few. From what I understood, they came to the naval science courses, in civvies, and that was it. They did not participate in unit activities, had no billets, and served in no groups (I was a member of drill team, and I lead the color guard, until I was deservedly relieved for being a sh*tbag). Of course, I can't say what would happen if you asked to be included, not sure if the individuals in question did or didn't.

Given my own experience where I was essentially paid nothing, it sure doesn't seem like there would be any reason not to allow BDCP folks to be college program all the way up until going to OCS, minus things like cruises (and CPers only get a 1/C cruise anyhow). Not like you'd cost the Navy anymore money...

But then again, Navy making sense? Surely that's not going to happen! :p

WEGL12

VT-28
I agree with both 60flyer and Seafort. In the end, I will get good grades either way so that reasoning does not hold much weight. I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to choose which commissioning program I go through. Also m26 and others have a good point, I could work out something with the unit where I participate in certain functions with the NROTC unit but be in the BDCP program. I am trying to look at every possible scenario and situation. Again thanks for the help.

Edit: Something I forgot to ask. In a general assumption, do most NROTC mids get their first choice in service selection? I have seen several topics on this site but they are several years old. I am just trying to figure out how much the problems in Pensacola have affected the NROTC mids.

Seafort

Well, Your Mileage May Very, of course, but in my experience, everyone in my year who could prove they were qualified for their first choice got first choice. SWO was my first choice, and I would have gone SWO.

WEGL12

VT-28
Well, Your Mileage May Very, of course, but in my experience, everyone in my year who could prove they were qualified for their first choice got first choice. SWO was my first choice, and I would have gone SWO.

Pretty much the same answer I have heard from most people connected to NROTC. If you hold up your end of the deal it will work out (normally).

Seafort

More than that, honestly. My officers were willing to move Heaven and Earth for me after I screwed up. Rescheduling my cruise, working on assigning me another midshipman officer billet. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but rather than recognise how much was being done for me, I was simply too immature, and solely focused on "people are yelling at me, I don't like it, I quit."

And yet, I am better for the experience, and can share it with others. Regret can eat you up inside, so use all your resources before you change directions. You may not have a second chance.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I know Our unit has been working actively recently to include PLCs, NUPOCs and BDCPs in unit events, especially under our new CO. A few even attended Mess Night (they had to pay because they didnt fundraise, but they were still included). You may want to talk to the NROTC unit about this possibility before writing off BDCP for "not getting the experience" of NROTC. They may even let you continue to drill with the unit (not sure why they wouldnt, and if you're paying to attend the classes and labs...). Who knows? its worth asking

m26

Contributor
Yeah, I had to sign up for a "lab" as part of the class. It's held at the same time and place as the lab for about 5 other NROTC classes, including intro, so I'm assuming it's some form of regular NROTC activity.

I'm not against doing some NROTC things, but the only time I got up before 0600 last year I found the NROTC middies running around campus. I figure I'll get enough of that at OCS.

EM1

Interesting they make you take the lab with the class. That's not a requirement here, I think to encourage "outsiders" to take the courses.

At labs (at least here) they do inspections, GMT (general military training, or general misuse of time if you prefer) which covers military policy and the like, they do community briefs, drill competitions, etc.

The lab is a requirement for everyone actually in the unit, if it overlaps a required course for your major you can sign up for alt lab and write a bunch of papers.

m26

Contributor
Yeah, at my school the registration system automatically links the lab and the course.

Sounds like it'll be a hoot.

WEGL12

VT-28
m26,
When you got Pro-Rec for BDCP, how long did you wait to get a final select? I asked my recruiter today about the average time period. He said for BDCP it is normally two to three weeks after completing MEPS and the pt test. I know that many on this website wait several months but my OR said that BDCP is a lot fast than regular OCS final selects. Thanks for the help

WEGL12

VT-28
I know Our unit has been working actively recently to include PLCs, NUPOCs and BDCPs in unit events, especially under our new CO. A few even attended Mess Night (they had to pay because they didnt fundraise, but they were still included). You may want to talk to the NROTC unit about this possibility before writing off BDCP for "not getting the experience" of NROTC. They may even let you continue to drill with the unit (not sure why they wouldnt, and if you're paying to attend the classes and labs...). Who knows? its worth asking

I talked to the recruiting officer at the NROTC unit today. There are many ways I can participate with the unit if I select BDCP. In a way I would be an unofficial college program student. He said I could participate in unit pt, attend events with special guest, take the NAVS classes, along with many other options available. So it looks like I can take advantage of both worlds.

Right before I got off the phone with him, he asked about my decision. I told him that I haven’t made a final decision one way or the other. His words to me were “you can’t pass on a guaranteed flight slot”. He said I am locked if I do BDCP but NROTC doesn’t guarantee anything and the money cannot even compare to BDCP. None of this information was really new to me. However, I was surprised the recruiting officer at the unit was actually advising me to take BDCP over NROTC. One thing that is final, I have until the end of this week to make a final decision.

m26

Contributor
m26,
When you got Pro-Rec for BDCP, how long did you wait to get a final select? I asked my recruiter today about the average time period. He said for BDCP it is normally two to three weeks after completing MEPS and the pt test. I know that many on this website wait several months but my OR said that BDCP is a lot fast than regular OCS final selects. Thanks for the help

Can't say as I remember exactly.

Pro-rec early December from November boards. MEPS Dec 18, PRT mid-Jan. FS late February (26th?).

I think I had rough timing due to the holiday. Our NRD does PRT/MEPS after pro-rec, and I only had a little time to get that done between my FS and the holiday break. Then I got sick over break and failed my first PRT. And my FS letter was "awaiting signature" for about three weeks (idk if that is typical).

YMMV

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
However, I was surprised the recruiting officer at the unit was actually advising me to take BDCP over NROTC. One thing that is final, I have until the end of this week to make a final decision. [/FONT][/SIZE]

That's good that he's being candid. The way I rationalize it, ROTC is a great program for high school kids who pick up a scholarship and get four (or five) years covered, especially if it's a private or out-of-state public school.

BDCP just seems the way to go if you join mid-college. Money aside, it's pretty sick to commission from OCS with 60 days of leave on the books and a couple years of service, so after a year commissioned you'll be makin' it rain with O-1 with 3 years pay. I was a non-BDCP OCS guy and I commissioned with a measly 7.5 days of leave.

Seafort

If you can participate fully in unit events, and get the experiences (drill, uniforms, billets, groups, etc) then go for it. In an odd way, you'll end up with the same experiences I have, and you'll be richer and more senior for it. Midshipmen and Officer Candidates, two commissioning programs for the price of one. Probably a pretty small club, all told.

EM1

Random thought:

Not sure how integrated your progam is but while you will be being paid as an E-3, you will be in the unit with MECPs and OCs (STA-21 candidates) that are E-4s and beyond (I've seen up to E-7s in the program). They'll be impressed by the BDCP program, and excited for you, just dont try to throw around that you're an E-3 or an E-4 as if it carries weight. Not saying you'd do that, just throwing it out there.

Good luck and congrats again.