• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice on a BDCP and NROTC decision

WEGL12

VT-28
I am looking for advice regarding a decision I have to make between BDCP and a NROTC scholarship. I applied and was nominated for a NROTC scholarship (Tweeddale) this past spring. At first I was told there was very little chance the funding would get approved. So after talking to the CO and the recruiting officer at Auburn’s NROTC unit I decided to look into other options. I applied for BDCP SNA and NFO shortly after this discussion. While waiting for my application to be reviewed by the selection board (June boards), I was informed that my NROTC scholarship was approved. Today I found out I was selected for BDCP SNA and NFO. Now I have to decide if I should take the BDCP option or the NROTC option. Both programs have certain benefits and some drawbacks. In the overall picture I am mostly concerned with becoming an officer which both programs fulfill. In terms of service selection my first choice would be aviation followed by sub service. Does anyone have a major reason to select one over the other? I would appreciate any information or advice towards the two commissioning programs. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before making a final decision. This website has been a very helpful tool in finding information on both sources of commissions. Thanks for the help.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I am looking for advice regarding a decision I have to make between BDCP and a NROTC scholarship. I applied and was nominated for a NROTC scholarship (Tweeddale) this past spring. At first I was told there was very little chance the funding would get approved. So after talking to the CO and the recruiting officer at Auburn’s NROTC unit I decided to look into other options. I applied for BDCP SNA and NFO shortly after this discussion. While waiting for my application to be reviewed by the selection board (June boards), I was informed that my NROTC scholarship was approved. Today I found out I was selected for BDCP SNA and NFO. Now I have to decide if I should take the BDCP option or the NROTC option. Both programs have certain benefits and some drawbacks. In the overall picture I am mostly concerned with becoming an officer which both programs fulfill. In terms of service selection my first choice would be aviation followed by sub service. Does anyone have a major reason to select one over the other? I would appreciate any information or advice towards the two commissioning programs. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before making a final decision. This website has been a very helpful tool in finding information on both sources of commissions. Thanks for the help.

If being a pilot is important to you - take BDCP!! ROTC is a risk - you never know how many pilot slots will be available that year. BDCP guarantees that slot.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. As long as you can afford the tuition, and with BDCP pay and BAH you should be able to make some dent in the bills, take the BDCP. The aviation spot is locked in, and your counter towards time in service and retirement start well before your commissioning date. That will make you a slightly less poor ensign off the bat and the extra pay throughout your career compared to your NROTC/USNA peers will be nice.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If being a pilot is important to you - take BDCP!! ROTC is a risk - you never know how many pilot slots will be available that year. BDCP guarantees that slot.

Concur with this if you are indeed a final select for SNA via BDCP. You'll accrue time in service and leave without having the time obligation of ROTC along with the fact that your designator is set.

WEGL12

VT-28
Concur with this if you are indeed a final select for SNA via BDCP. You'll accrue time in service and leave without having the time obligation of ROTC along with the fact that your designator is set.

Just to clarify, I have only been PRO-REC for BDCP. I have to start the final select process in the next few days.

m26, I currently qualify for instate tuition so I only pay around $8000 a year for tuition.

Lucy

citadel- For me, if I get BDCP, I will be bringing in over 3k a month. Tuition is around 8k for me, which leaves 28k a year to live on, pay loans off, etc. without having to do anything but stay in shape and get reasonable grades.

Also, if you are looking a NROTC as a way to get adjusted to military lifestyle, ask your OR about possibilities to work-out with the enlisted in your area as BDCP. This is an option I have and plan on doing so. Not only for the physical progression, but also to get use to military protocol and to begin to learn how to make connections with shipamtes, whether officer or enlisted.

just my .02,
Good Luck!

Lucy

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you are BDCP, you could probably ask the NROTC unit if you could participate in activities with them. They will probably be all for it.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
at our unit we perennially have one or two students who are in the bdcp program pt with our unit. just clear it with the unit staff and you should be good to go. also presents some good networking possibilities with future peers

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was an NROTC guy but I know several folks who did BDCP. My opinion is that NROTC was a worthwhile experience, but BDCP is one of the last great scams left in the Navy (this being a good thing). You make mucho $$$ while acruing active duty time, and you get the very same commission with a guarantee about where you are going after that. By casual observation, it seems like getting an SNA slot through BDCP/OCS is a little more competitive than it is for NROTC or USNA, but if your grades are solid and you have a good package, I really wouldn't get too wrapped up about that. Not to mention that when the rest of your buddies pin JG while you are in flight school, you get some extra $$$ each month because you have >3 years of active duty under your belt by then. Good deal, and at least when I went through, a little known one.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Despite my less than ideal exit from the program, I wouldn't trade my time as a midshipman for money or seniority. The friends I made who are now serving, who I've been able to hang out with, and will no doubt meet again when my own career finally gets back on track, are worth it. All in all, while I didn't really realise it then, my experiences in NROTC were some of of the most meaningful to me, and there are so many things I did that I will remember all my life. I still had plenty of regular college experiences, but being a middy was something more. I investigated BCDP, and have looked back over it now, and I'm glad I chose NROTC.

I was college program, I think the most I was ever paid was something like $800 or something total for my entire time in ROTC. I had to pay it back too when I DoRed. I took no scholarship, although it had once been offered, and given my experiences, that was likely for the best, because of my drop in grades in the latter half of my 2/C year, and subsequent decision to leave the program a few months before my commissioning. While I still had student loans to deal with (which have been dealt with) at least I didn't have to worry about owing any money to the Navy or screwing up my chances for OCS. While I have had to explain my behavior (to everyone from chiefs to LTs, to Captains, and even a four star Admiral), my package is not any different than someone without my experiences. If I had been on scholarship, even if I paid the money back, there is a good chance (or so I was told), that OCS would probably not be open to me.

Still, when I get through OCS (not if, not even going to think that), I'll be in the unique position of having had an entire history in NROTC, aside from commissioning, and a history of OCS. This will give me a unique perspective.

Just something to think about...

WEGL12

VT-28
Thanks for the responses. Right now I am split between the two options. Both have several benefits. The major differences I see are:
BDCP – guaranteed aviation slot, last three years of college count towards service time, acquire leave time, and a profit of $20,000 a year during school (after tuition is paid for)
NROTC – unique experiences as a member of the unit, summer cruises, and exposure to active duty officers and their experiences.

Truly I have always wanted to go the NROTC route more than the BDCP/OCS route. However, I am not sure which route is the best career decision. Like Seafort said, many of the NROTC experiences can be very worthwhile. There are also many opportunities to create friendships with people that will also serve in the fleet in the near future. However, this is also true with OCS to a certain degree. NROTC also doesn’t guarantee aviation. 60flyer pointed out that the number of flight spots each year is unpredictable. I spoke with the recruiting officer (also the aviation officer) at the NROTC unit about being selected for flight school out of NROTC. He said the aviation pipeline should be cleared up by the time I put in my selection package and graduate (May 2013). But at this point no one really knows what the aviation pipeline will be like three years in the future. I also see an advantage in not having the flight spot guaranteed. It creates a major motivation factor to keep my grades where they should be. If I do NROTC, I know I have to keep my grades up all the way until graduation (currently have a 3.77), so this can be a good thing also. Like I said before, I am truly more interested in becoming a naval officer. But I don’t want to make a decision that I will look back and say “well I should have gone with the other option”. This is the major reason why I am trying to gather as much information and opinions as possible. Any more advice would truly be a major help. Thanks again.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Come on....SERIOUSLY?!?!? You're going to give up a guaranteed pilot slot so you have motivation to keep your grades up and make some friends? Lets think rationally for a second. You're going to have plenty of chances to make military friends and "experience" that lifestyle. Don't let an amazing opportunity pass because you want to be part of a group!

Think about how much regret you'll have when you're on a ship wearing black shoes watching all the planes take off....

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
If being a pilot is more important to you, sure, 60Flyer. I grant that.

But I wouldn't trade my NROTC experiences for anything, even an SNA spot. Without my middy days, good, and, especially bad, I would not be the type of person I am today. I'd rather sail a desk with the experiences I have than fly without them. *shrug* To each his or her own. Citidel needs to make decisions. He needs to make his bed and be prepared to lie in it. We can offer our own experiences, but the decision is his and his alone.

m26

Contributor
I'm signed up for an NROTC class this fall. I don't know how that would compare to the "real thing," but it's one way to have your cake (OCS benefits) and eat it, too (NROTC experience).