• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for son’s selection

Harley43

Everybody hit the high points already, but I’ll anchor on a few that were important to me during my selection: mission set, boat versus not boat based squadron, and the kind of flying I’d be doing in my operational squadron.
Great points, will pass on, thank you.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There really are no bad choices - and I mean that sincerely. And honestly, the difference between communities and heck even services when it comes to aviation are subtle and nuanced. And the type of person who is successful in military aviation will embrace the community and culture they are assigned to. Tell your neighbors, friends and family that your son has the greatest job in the world.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Honestly, I'd tell him to ask for jets. He wont regret it if he gets them. He doesn't know anybody in VT-primary who flew them, to hear the good bad or ugly. He does probably hear a bunch of nonsense about what other people think we do. I fly 737s now as an airline boner, and while P-8s weren't a thing when I was in primary, I thank god this airplane wasn't what I did in the military. Save that for when you are old (relative term), and a 5th BFM set gives you a stiff neck for 3 days. That said, I think helos could be pretty cool. Or CODs.

croakerfish

pilot
Honestly it depends on what he wants out of the Navy. Naval aviation is a jet’s world and the rest of us just live here. If a long and illustrious navy career is a desire then there’s your answer. I love helicopters and wouldn’t change a single thing about what I’ve done but many of my fellow pilots are pretty disappointed with how things went for them even if they love flying helicopters.

MGoBrew11

pilot
It’s all about priorities for sure.

Cool factor —-> jets
Duty stations/chill factor —-> helos
Post Navy bank making opportunities and no boats —-> multi engine

Like Ike, I put jets first but got helos. Loved it. And lived in San Diego for a long time. Beat the heck out of Lemoore.

FlyingGamecock

Honestly it depends on what he wants out of the Navy. Naval aviation is a jet’s world and the rest of us just live here. If a long and illustrious navy career is a desire then there’s your answer. I love helicopters and wouldn’t change a single thing about what I’ve done but many of my fellow pilots are pretty disappointed with how things went for them even if they love flying helicopters.
How come some of your fellow pilots are disappointed with how things went for them? What are they disappointed with?

HuggyU2

None
How come no one is cheering for plopters?
We had a guy in the U-2 that flew/flies cool stuff on the side: Flew aerobatic competition in Extras, flies a bunch of different warbirds including the P-51 and T-28... just a wide variety of experience in addition to the KC-10 and T-38.

I asked him a few years ago "Fred, what's the most fun you have had flying?"

He said "Well... it was when I was flying the KC-10 and decided to go get my private helicopter rating. Flying helicopters is a lot of fun."

Since he told me that, I've availed myself of a number of opportunities to fly helicopters. I've only got about 10 hours in them, but he was right: they are a ton of fun. If I wasn't as old as I am, I'd try to figure out a way to fly them regularly (and for pay).