• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for graduating mids

cameron172

pilot
I have founds bits and pieces all over the forum, but want to consolidate it all here. I've made it a habit recently of asking people I meet who either is/was an enlisted/officer for a straight, real-world, no BS, piece of advice for a middie about to graduate. What the most important thing you believe a new O-1 should know?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Agree with the above.

The thing that I'd pass on to every new ensign / graduating middie is don't forget how to have fun and pick your orders (regardless of community) based on what you want to do, not what you think big Navy is looking for. You'll be better off for it in the long run.

Deere1450

pilot
I asked the same thing to a Chief on summer cruise. It took him 1/1000 of a second to answer, responding with "Don't be a fvckin' douche bag."

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Speaking of Chiefs, the first thing my Mother (a retired Senior Chief) said to me after I got commissioned was "Listen to your fucking Chief, Ensign. Take what we say with a grain of salt, but it will be the truth. Trust, but verify. And listen to your fucking Chief... Sir."

There was a bit of sarcasm when she said "Sir". That was the only time in my life that my mother talked to me as a Chief and not as my Mom.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Get out of college mode and into "Yes, I'm an officer mode and I have a full time job mode." Saw several dudes get kicked out of API when I was there because they drank too much, partied too hard, etc. It's like it never kicked in for them they have a full time job they have to work at.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Get out of college mode and into "Yes, I'm an officer mode and I have a full time job mode." Saw several dudes get kicked out of API when I was there because they drank too much, partied too hard, etc. It's like it never kicked in for them they have a full time job they have to work at.
Yeah, it may not seem like it sometimes as an Ensign, but you're now a Naval Officer and part of an honorable profession. Your only going to get one chance at most things in the Navy so make it count; give it your best all the time.

But make sure you relax and enjoy where you are. It's easy to always be striving for the next wicket, but make sure to enjoy where you are to enjoy your free time. By all means boom, but boom responsibly.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Advice my dad's skipper (a somewhat infamous VP personality) from way back imparted to him, which he imparted to me. It was said right before a JAG type briefed the squadron on sexual harassment back in the day:

"Alright, you guys. This stuff is really important and I want you to pay attention. However, if you only take one thing out of this brief, make it this: Don't fuck the help, and don't be so fucking sensitive. LT Schmuckatelli, the room is yours (/JAG has an aneurism)"

By all means boom, but boom responsibly.

+1

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

At the same time don't be that guy who doesn't go out on Friday or Saturday night because of an exam on Monday. It's all about balance.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
No one cares what you think until you've proven yourself useful. Until that time, keep your mouth closed and eyes and ears open.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Don't be afraid to ask questions, every knows Ensigns don't know jack. It is a wise one that will listen to people who have been doing this Navy think for a few years, such as the front office, DH's and Chiefs.

While it's OK to ask a question, for the love of God, please keep your opinions to yourself until you are alone. Then feel free to say how stuff should be done like how it worked back in college/Annapolis/OCS.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don't shoot endangered animals, and don't send out emails that prove your an assclown. They can, and will be, forwarded throughout the fleet... really. Also, you are going to fuckup. Take ownership of your mistakes and be honest about them. Do NOT hide big mistakes from the front office. As you get some experience you'll realize what the big mistakes are.