• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice, Buying a Truck

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Pics, you have any pics of the beastie? I agree w/ FBW06, nice choice.

*EDIT* A pic with an AW zap on it would be nice :D

Ask and ye shall receive.
DSC02014.JPG

robav8r

None
Contributor
I own a 2000 Toyota Tacoma - 2.7L, 4 cyl, 4WD, SR5. Absolutely LOVE IT !!! You can't go wrong with a Tacoma (IMO).
;)

Just sold my 2000 for a 2008 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Pre Runner. I got $10,500.00 for my truck with 65K miles on it - $300.00 over what KBB said it was worth in excellent condition !!! Bought the 2008 for 900.00 over factory invoice and they even threw in a hood protector. I suppose american trucks have their upside, but Toyota has definitely earned my respect . . . .
:D

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Ok Ill bite

F Toyota, F them right in the Ass. I work as a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Salesmen. As for the "quality" or "ability" hey bring the most powerful truck Toyota has in its fleet of Pickups and Ill drag it across the lot wheels screaming in agony with my Cummins Diesel Duely we got in the back.

Quite possibly the most unbiased opinion ever! :D

MasterBates

Yeah, but he has a point.

My F-250, my mom's Ram 3500, or my dad's Chevy 2500 will all wipe the floor with any Jap truck sold in the US.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, we made it two pages anyway w/ out it devolving into a standard internet dick-off...

Yeah, but he has a point.

My F-250, my mom's Ram 3500, or my dad's Chevy 2500 will all wipe the floor with any Jap truck sold in the US.

Who cares? What does that even mean? That's like saying a F-18 can out-perform a P-3. No kidding, it has a different use. An Escalade is way bigger, more powerful, and of course, more pimpin', but does that make it "better" than a Jeep? Of course not.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
+1 for Toyota. I drive an '03 4-Runner and absolutely love it. No problems whatsoever. Diesels are pretty sweet, but I have no need to pull a house down or any similar feat of strength.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeh, I didn't mean to start a pissing contest with this thread.

Wasn't directed at you. Actually it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I know it's the internet, and therefore everyone's opinion is more important than anyone else's. I just find it amusing how people equate what they need (or think they need) w/ what everyone else needs.

Random8145

Toyota trucks are cool, but I like Ford, Dodge, and Chevy trucks better, plus pickup trucks are an American vehicle:) Though the Toyota trucks are built in America and I think they may be designed by American engineers who work for Toyota as well, I'm not sure though.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
To tell you the truth, and I'm not trying to fuel the fire here, but in my day I have owned a Dodge Ram, a Ford Explorer, a GMC High Sierra (1985), and a Chevy 1500 Z71. So far, I am by far the most impressed with my Toy Tacoma. I look forward to getting back in it to drive somewhere. It has unbelievable power for a V6, it rides smoothly and quietly, it looks great, and the interior is spacious and comfortable. I have yet to find something I do not like. I used to be hung up on only buying domestic, until I realized how closed-minded and foolish that is, now I don't know if I'll ever buy domestic again! Just my thoughts.

Random8145

The Japanese manufacturers really gave the American manufacturers a wake-up call to get their quality up. I think it was Ford, had two transmissions available for one of their trucks, one made in Japan and one made in the United States. Well the one made in Japan got overwhelming demand, with customers even saying they'd wait extra long to get a truck with the Japanese tranny, because the American-built one was such crap.

The great irony here is that the Japanese adapted American quality-control standards into their vehicles to up the quality so much, they had a legendary American quality-control expert (I forget his name). Originally, Japanese products were of horrid quality, so the Japanese fixed this really fast.

American manufacturers had let the quality slide for a bit, basically not implementing their own standards, but then got the picture, unfortunately they have been hit with very high healthcare and high pension costs that they underestimated a great deal, plus unions, so implementing quality-control is tougher for them, but they are managing to do it from my understanding now.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
The Japanese manufacturers really gave the American manufacturers a wake-up call to get their quality up. I think it was Ford, had two transmissions available for one of their trucks, one made in Japan and one made in the United States. Well the one made in Japan got overwhelming demand, with customers even saying they'd wait extra long to get a truck with the Japanese tranny, because the American-built one was such crap.

The great irony here is that the Japanese adapted American quality-control standards into their vehicles to up the quality so much, they had a legendary American quality-control expert (I forget his name). Originally, Japanese products were of horrid quality, so the Japanese fixed this really
fast.
American manufacturers had let the quality slide for a bit, basically not implementing their own standards, but then got the picture, unfortunately they have been hit with very high healthcare and high pension costs that they underestimated a great deal, plus unions, so implementing quality-control is tougher for them, but they are managing to do it from my understanding now.
Before I finished reading you post I was going to say "thank you unions", but you already said it ... its worth saying it again ...
THANK YOU UNIONS

I hope things are on the upswing for American made's - but I saw Chrysler had to cut some workers after a new union deal was struck ... and the employees were just 'blown away'. Guess what, someone has to pay for your pay increase/healthcare expenses etc etc etc... and it's not being paid in sales revenue. Can't cook the books anymore...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071103/BUSINESS01/711030380/0/SPORTS07&theme=AUTOTALKS072007

Lawman

None
Before I finished reading you post I was going to say "thank you unions", but you already said it ... its worth saying it again ...
THANK YOU UNIONS

I hope things are on the upswing for American made's - but I saw Chrysler had to cut some workers after a new union deal was struck ... and the employees were just 'blown away'. Guess what, someone has to pay for your pay increase/healthcare expenses etc etc etc... and it's not being paid in sales revenue. Can't cook the books anymore...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071103/BUSINESS01/711030380/0/SPORTS07&theme=AUTOTALKS072007

Cerberus is the best thing that ever happened to Chrysler. Out of the big 3 we have the most cash to play with even though our sales arent the highest and thats because we dont have near the weight around our neck that Ford and GM does. I almost feel sorry for Ford, some of the stuff they were doing the last 10 years has really come back to haunt them. GM's biggest problem is just trying to make to many of the same car with no real advantage or disadvantage with going to one brand or another within them.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Cerberus is the best thing that ever happened to Chrysler. Out of the big 3 we have the most cash to play with even though our sales arent the highest and thats because we dont have near the weight around our neck that Ford and GM does. I almost feel sorry for Ford, some of the stuff they were doing the last 10 years has really come back to haunt them. GM's biggest problem is just trying to make to many of the same car with no real advantage or disadvantage with going to one brand or another within them.

Don't know much about Cerberus, but if this is true, can't say its the best thing to happen to Detroit... Lawman, please give us the down-low.

Since automotive assets are not exactly yielding top dollar these days, Cerberus' most likely strategy would seem to be to dress Chrysler up for a sale to another automaker - probably a foreign one. Scale still counts and there are numerous companies in Europe and Asia who would like to control Chrysler's market share and distribution network.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/24/news/companies/pluggedin_taylor_cerberus.fortune/index.htm