• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice, Buying a Truck

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Try a Ford Ranger. We used to have a base model I4 engine with almost no options but it was bullet proof. Despite the small engine you could put a lot in the back and it got great gas mileage. The new Rangers are really nice and we've never had a problem with any Ford we've owned, especially the trucks/suvs. Also, I think the Ranger looks loads better than the Tacoma plus you should be able to get a great deal on one. At least test drive a Ranger.

k_smittay

Try a Ford Ranger. We used to have a base model I4 engine with almost no options but it was bullet proof. Despite the small engine you could put a lot in the back and it got great gas mileage. The new Rangers are really nice and we've never had a problem with any Ford we've owned, especially the trucks/suvs. Also, I think the Ranger looks loads better than the Tacoma plus you should be able to get a great deal on one. At least test drive a Ranger.

Agreed, get a ford ranger... oh yea.. and then turn in your man card. :)

FLY_USMC

pilot
Two words, resale value. My wife has a brand new Ford, the f-er has depreciated about $15,000 in 1.7 months. I've always owned Mustangs prior to my Tacoma, I think I'll stick with this one for at least a while.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
I'll bite once more. I bought a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado brand new. By registering it, $9,000.00 dropped from the value of the truck. That's only by registering it. My experience with Ford, Dodge, and Chevy (yes, I've owned all 3 and then some) is that the resale value goes right through the floor once you register it, let alone even drive the thing off the lot.
There's a very good reason so many people drive Toyota trucks - they're reliable, and they don't nickel-and-dime you to death. Quality tends to be higher, too; I had small things break on the '99 Ram 4x4 I used to own that should never have even been an issue. That truck sounded like a bag of bowling balls every time I rolled over a rough surface - almost like the whole front end was coming apart. I had an interior door handle break on my Ram - it just broke. No abuse, no excessive force; it just snapped and broke. My '97 Tacoma had no issues of the sort.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who gives an F about resale - I have an '07 F-150 Super Crew and I don't want to EVER sell it. That machine is the best truck I've ever had.

I didn't throw any comments in earlier because the OP specifically stated that he was not looking for the man sized truck, but was looking for M.P.G.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Mike - Just buy a cruiser man. Matter of fact, you can buy mine (no joke, its for sale) - Ill give you the good ol boy discount. Then you can keep up on the highway, get good gas mileage and look good doing it ... :D Not only do you get to keep your man card, you get an upgrade with it.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Who gives an F about resale - I have an '07 F-150 Super Crew and I don't want to EVER sell it. That machine is the best truck I've ever had.

I didn't throw any comments in earlier because the OP specifically stated that he was not looking for the man sized truck, but was looking for M.P.G.

Exactly, when I buy a car it's not a temporary thing, I'm in it for the long hall. The only reason we sold our Ranger (which was a mistake) was because we had too many cars and one had to go. My 2000 Ford Explorer is doing great and I can't complain. As for the trading in the man card, bullshit. Save the planet, buy American.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Mike - Just buy a cruiser man. Matter of fact, you can buy mine (no joke, its for sale) - Ill give you the good ol boy discount. Then you can keep up on the highway, get good gas mileage and look good doing it ... :D Not only do you get to keep your man card, you get an upgrade with it.

Thanks but no thanks. I ended up getting a Toy Taco and I still have my "man card" as you guys put it.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
For anyone doubting how 'manly' the Toyota trucks are, check out these videos (might be a repost, but appropriate nonetheless):

MasterBates

If you are talking Man-Trucks, a 2-3 year old used diesel is often the way to go..

The green F250 in my avatar is a 99 F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3 Turbo Diesel and a 6-speed manual.

Even with 3.73 gears, I get over 20 on the highway, and I am usually going at 80+ with the motor wound up. With 3.55s, it would probably get 24ish. Hell, even in the city and driving like a jackass, I can't get worse than 15.

Plus I can pull my house. At 90 mph. And the turbo whine is cool. Tends to scare people in ricers.

As to crash survivability, when I had a Japanese girl in a Nissan SUV cut me off last year, I pushed her rear hatch into the back seat. And bent the frame on her "Truck"

I needed a bumper, hood and grill.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I won't even lie, MasterBates is very correct. Coming from a very small farm town where Diesel IS a way of life, I was often amazed at buddies who would drive the piss out of their F-250's for 8-9 years and still get AMAZING numbers when they traded it in for another one. Those motors last forever. I just have no need for a full-size truck, and I didn't want a car. Hell, a new Ford Ranger Extended Cab is easily 20-21 with some options, but on a 4X4, you're talking what I paid for my Toyota, and my Toyota dwarfs any Ranger. BTW, my first ride was a Ranger, I have a deep and abiding love for Dark Red single cabs.

k_smittay

If you are talking Man-Trucks, a 2-3 year old used diesel is often the way to go..

I totally agree, diesel is the way to go. Still get great gas mileage in most situation, engines can easily roll +500K miles if you take care of them, towing anything is easy, and if you are really savvy... you can become one of those bio-diesel nuts and make your own gas in your garage! That is a nice alternative if you don't mind doing some grease collection around town and some chemistry at home. You can make gas for $.50 a gallon.