• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

advanced degree/deployment questions

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
JPME comes AFTER a master's? That seems kind of backwards in priorities. PME is definitely going to be more relevant than a masters in (insert silly field here). Just curious. JPME I, I'm assuming.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you mean Department Head screen? I hope you don't mean O4... at least for me, there hasn't been any slack in my tours to date to get either, heck I turned down GEV last tour because operational commitments on my shore tour precluded it.

Seriously, the only real requirement to make O-4 is to have a pulse. There were only 2 people in the Prowler community who did not make it last time around - both had DUIs.

Brett

Red Anjin

Pilot Monkey
pilot
Seriously, the only real requirement to make O-4 is to have a pulse. There were only 2 people in the Prowler community who did not make it last time around - both had DUIs.

Brett

This depends entirely on your community. I know the 0-4 promotion rate in HSL has nose dived in the last few years, followed quickly by the DH screen. I imagine Prowlers have less of this problem since they are sundowning and people are scattering to FAO, IP, etc, other airframes and just getting out completely.

You can go here:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/0009AF99-9945-4891-AF0A-25C867E2628A/0/FY07USNO4Linestats.pdf

and here:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/CE42CE6D-095F-45BA-8589-49CB03B8BF25/0/FY08USNO4Linestats.pdf

for 0-4 line select statistics broken down by warfare and community for 07/08respectively.

Take the numbers with a grain of salt though. For example, in 07 there were a total of 110 HSL pilots eligable, above and in zone. 83 were selected, but the summary says a total of 83% selected. Obviously 83 of 110 isn't 83%, its 75%. For comparison, in 05/06 the promote rate was in the high 90s%.

So, at least in HSL/HSM, having a pulse doesn't get you a seat when the music stops, you have to jump for it. EPs in both Sea Tour and Shore Tour help a lot too.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This depends entirely on your community. I know the 0-4 promotion rate in HSL has nose dived in the last few years, followed quickly by the DH screen. I imagine Prowlers have less of this problem since they are sundowning and people are scattering to FAO, IP, etc, other airframes and just getting out completely.

You can go here:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/0009AF99-9945-4891-AF0A-25C867E2628A/0/FY07USNO4Linestats.pdf

and here:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/CE42CE6D-095F-45BA-8589-49CB03B8BF25/0/FY08USNO4Linestats.pdf

for 0-4 line select statistics broken down by warfare and community for 07/08respectively.

Take the numbers with a grain of salt though. For example, in 07 there were a total of 110 HSL pilots eligable, above and in zone. 83 were selected, but the summary says a total of 83% selected. Obviously 83 of 110 isn't 83%, its 75%. For comparison, in 05/06 the promote rate was in the high 90s%.

So, at least in HSL/HSM, having a pulse doesn't get you a seat when the music stops, you have to jump for it. EPs in both Sea Tour and Shore Tour help a lot too.

The stats for VP pilots were pretty bleak :(

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For O-4 nothing special required, but for the competitive DH board I'd recommend Special quals (LSO, tactics instructor, OOD underway, TAO letter, Conning alongside qual, etc), JPME I, followed closely with advanced degree. Most of the time, the Navy will afford you the opportunity to get your Masters at one of the learning institutions. Unsaid is sustained superior performance.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Most of the time, the Navy will afford you the opportunity to get your Masters at one of the learning institutions.

That's what I was wondering while reading this thread. My understanding is that a good number of SWOs use a ROTC billet to complete a masters. My other understanding is that if a NA/NFO used the same slot to get a masters, he or she would worsen career progression because of time out of the cockpit. Is it usually the case of getting a masters little-by-little while not deployed? Also, with masters becoming "optional", would the preference be for technically oriented degrees? Sorry if this should be in the "stupid question" thread.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's what I was wondering while reading this thread. My understanding is that a good number of SWOs use a ROTC billet to complete a masters. My other understanding is that if a NA/NFO used the same slot to get a masters, he or she would worsen career progression because of time out of the cockpit. Is it usually the case of getting a masters little-by-little while not deployed? Also, with masters becoming "optional", would the preference be for technically oriented degrees? Sorry if this should be in the "stupid question" thread.

ROTC is generally looked on as a way out of the Navy. That doesn't mean everyone goes that route, but that's the perception. Others get their masters when they go to the TRACOM or RAG as an IP. Then there's those that have a "desk" job (complete w/ khakis and loops) that do it on their own time. Talk about working too hard.

Red Anjin

Pilot Monkey
pilot
ROTC tends to be a surface option. As an Aviator, if you take a ROTC job, you've let the detailer know you're leaving (even if you didn't plan on it....). Shore tours tend to be the time to get your masters, on your own time of course. I know very few flyers who get orders to War College after their first sea tour (i.e. none) and my previous detailer told me point blank, "If you ask to go to the Naval Post Graduate School (unobserved fitrep) instead of the RAG or VTs, you've just tanked your career."

Of course there are limited exceptions to this but for the most part, if you want your masters prior to your DH board you need to get it on your own during the shore tour.

Working the desk (w/ khakis and loop included) for my last tour I can say getting my masters then was out of the question, especially with our WESTPAC deployment in the mix. JPME phase I is hard enough.

Red Anjin

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For O-4 nothing special required, but for the competitive DH board I'd recommend Special quals (LSO, tactics instructor, OOD underway, TAO letter, Conning alongside qual, etc), JPME I, followed closely with advanced degree. Most of the time, the Navy will afford you the opportunity to get your Masters at one of the learning institutions. Unsaid is sustained superior performance.

-ea6bflyr ;)

With OOD, and other SWO-like quals, would an aviator ever rate a SWO pin after a few years in the fleet? (not that I would ever want to wear one)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With OOD, and other SWO-like quals, would an aviator ever rate a SWO pin after a few years in the fleet? (not that I would ever want to wear one)

I would have loved to earn and rate a SWO pin. What better way to shut up the lesser-abled SWOs that complain they can't do something or won't help because they think we can't comprehend how a bridge team works. Plus there's the standard "hey, I can do your job AND my job..." line, which is just plain dick-ish, but amusing (and sometimes effective).