• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adios Service Dress Khakis

Renegade One

None
The PMA guys that I have talked to (including those involved in the development and testing of the 2-Piece) say that Coyote is the 1 color that works in every environment.
So...I'm not hearing a drumbeat to bring back the orange Nomex flight suits, most often associated with the "Aardvarks" of VF-114 in the '70s-'80s timeframe? I think the last of them were ceremoniously burned in the fire pit on the NAS Miramar O'Club patio in about 1990. Probably a good reason for that...;)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For evasion or for rescue? I'm interested to hear more, as I would think the Coyote wouldn't be good for evasion in a jungle environment, but I know color can do some cool tricks to the eyes, so maybe it would work.

I think we should just call it "khaki" and wear it in lieu of... khakis. I'll say it again, do we really need more than 2 uniforms? Occuptational and dress. Why are we stuck on a tradition that values style when those uniforms originally came into being for their function? The whites came out to replace the blues in tropical climates where navy blue wool was just too hot. The same for khakis/brown boots over the whites in the dusty areas of SoCal. In WWII the services all thought that khaki was a good camoflauging color, so we all wore it. (*Excluding the short lived grey uniform, which existed soley because khaki dye was hard to come by)

All we really need is one functional uniform (NWU Type 3s/flightsuit) and one dress uniform (SDBs). Why would we NEED more? It's not like we wear any of these on liberty/civilian occasions.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
So...I'm not hearing a drumbeat to bring back the orange Nomex flight suits, most often associated with the "Aardvarks" of VF-114 in the '70s-'80s timeframe? I think the last of them were ceremoniously burned in the fire pit on the NAS Miramar O'Club patio in about 1990. Probably a good reason for that...;)

I say we bring back the orange flight suits, obviously they were good enough to kill the death star

lukepilot.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My take -- no reason to have two tiers of working uniforms. The Brits (similar to utilities, but look a hell of a lot better) and Coast Guard (2 piece coveralls) have it right wrt working uniforms. Either of those would be good, and ditch the other "tier." The NWU is horrendous, too heavy in hot weather, and really expensive for a working uniform.

Service uniforms: Either stay with khakis for E-7 and above and peanut butters for E-6 and below, or stick with summer white/johnny cash. But do either or. Having 3 sets of service uniforms is silly, and the all-purpose khakis mean that the other ones sit in the closet.

Dress uniforms: Keep current chokers/SDBs or go straight to SDKs only. Again, no need to have an all-season dress uniform and then specialty seasonal ones.

PT gear: Ditto on contracting any number of sports companies to make a comfortable, good fitting PT uniform.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm noticing a trend here... I think you guys are doing it wrong.

In the last ~20 months, I've worn my khakis more than I have in the last 7+ years, and that's only because someone foolishly keeps putting me in charge of people that I have to a) take to some SOQ luncheon or b) take to mast with an O-6. I have worn my NWUs (I only own one set) once, and that was when getting fitted for them. I've worn my whites twice (?) in those same 7+ years, once for a Colombian reception in CO and once for a CoC for same said O-6. Beyond that, it's flight suits all the way.

I think webmaster likes to post pictures of himself in NWUs on Facebook. I'm just sayin'...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So you're telling me that some bases make you wear Navy PT gear when you're PTing on your own time at the base gym?

Yup. I've been on every carrier on the east coast and a few made the rule that if you were in the gym you had Navy pt gear on. I can't speak to whether or not those rules still are in place, but I saw it with my own eyes. Some non-Navy installations have had the same thing, wear service appropriate pt gear or don't pt. I've yet to see the requirement in place for Navy shore installations although I'm sure there may be a few out there.

Lawman

None
And all the Army guys I know hate them and want to go back to regular flight suits, that is at least according to the dozen or so Army aviator types I have talked to (our resident Army crew can chime in at any time to correct or disagree with me).
Everybody laments the loss of the Pickle suit because it was just one more thing that was forced on Aviation to make us look more like Soldiers and less like Aviators. Its not that it was such a good uniform, it was just when we went to the two piece the deal was if it looked like ACUs it could be worn just like ACUs... and then the Sgt Majors got involved and that idea was killed. So now we have a uniform that looks from 20 feet just like my other uniform, but I cant wear one to schools, other posts, etc without somebody taking issue with it and bitching. We all hate anything ACU pattern, because its digitally retarded. But two piece flight suits are totally where its at. The Tan two piece (Circa 04-06) was probably the most popular of them.

Every try to take a shit in a picklesuit inside a nasty portoshitter that hasnt been cleaned in what seems like months... Thats when you wish you had a two piece.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup. I've been on every carrier on the east coast and a few made the rule that if you were in the gym you had Navy pt gear on. I can't speak to whether or not those rules still are in place, but I saw it with my own eyes. Some non-Navy installations have had the same thing, wear service appropriate pt gear or don't pt. I've yet to see the requirement in place for Navy shore installations although I'm sure there may be a few out there.
That... www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAwnRailVWI&sns=em