• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adios Service Dress Khakis

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2012/NAV12314.txt

For those itching to order the Service Dress Khakis... too bad. It looks like Big Navy figured out that the cost would be too much to the individual. Well, I'd like to say that our seabag as naval aviators is already quite large. So, how about the following:

Daily operational/office/classroom wear: Flightsuits or NWU Type 3. Make the flightsuits camo'ed like the NWU Type 3 to be worn in lieu of the Type 3. Either brown flight boots or desert boots authorized. Treat the uniform like the Army treats the ACUs when it comes to wear rules.

Service Dress: SDBs, year round. If you need it for a formal event, go with the bowtie (Dinner Dress Blue version). This would be the "coat and tie" uniform to suit the DC crowd (pun intended).

Eliminate Summer Whites, Summer Dress Whites, Service Khakis. If SWOs still need SWOveralls, then by all means keep them.

How much $$/weight/space would that save?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2012/NAV12314.txt
Make the flightsuits camo'ed like the NWU Type 3 to be worn in lieu of the Type 3.

That would look shit-tastic.

Service Dress: SDBs, year round. If you need it for a formal event, go with the bowtie (Dinner Dress Blue version).

Dinner Dress Bozo? That uniform looks absolutely ridiculous.

Eliminate Summer Whites, Summer Dress Whites.

Now I know you're fucking with us......right??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do you really want to sit in a hangar in Florida (or Norfolk or...lately...San Diego) in July during a CoC in Blues? It's already horrible in Summer Whites.

FYI (and I'm sure you know this), SWOveralls aren't just worn by SWOs, they're worn by aviation maintainers still. Sure, it can be organizational clothing (unlike for the SWOs), but it's not just SWO thing.

MasterBates

Here is my thing.. We have VERY limited storage space for dress uniforms on board. The Enlisted Sailors have even less.

Why do we bring, oh, EVERYTHING on deployment.

I've never deployed in a non-boat squadron. Do Marines, P3s, and CODs bring EVERY uniform everytime they deploy? (caveat- for no chance of going out of season workups, we would only bring white/blue as appropriate) Deployment is everything.

I've had to wear my SDBs exactly four times ever underway. I can see bringing them. (3 embassy functions, Abrek's memorial service) I've never "needed" anything other than flight suits, but some squadrons (my E-2 squadron included) made you stand watch in NWU/Washed Khaki/AWG. Not ONCE have I needed Summer Whites, Poly Khakis, Dinner Dress anything, etc.

We just don't go out on liberty OCONUS in uniforms anymore. Any memorials/solemn stuff, SDBs.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To address the comments thus far...
*I do not want to sit down anyway when wearing any white uniform.
*I don't care what the flightsuits look like... just make them on par with the regular NWU Type 3. Eliminate the need for having both black boots and brown boots.
*SWOveralls shall be called SWOveralls by all naval aviators. I think there's an instruction for that. Hell, I don't care if they are worn off the boat/base.
*Dinner dress bozo does look ridiculous, but not really any more so than our dinner jackets. We wear this how often again?

Think about it... one pair of oxford shoes, one pair of boots. Keep it simple, just like the other services.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I've never deployed in a non-boat squadron. Do Marines, P3s, and CODs bring EVERY uniform everytime they deploy? (caveat- for no chance of going out of season workups, we would only bring white/blue as appropriate) Deployment is everything.

I have never taken a dress uniform on deployment. Ever.

KMAC...as for your idea...I think chokers are the best dress uniform we have. Distinctive, comfortable-ish...

Camo flight suits? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAA!!!

46847d1326835493-someone-heard-lever-gun-won-our-contest-football-bat.jpg

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never taken a dress uniform on deployment. Ever.

KMAC...as for your idea...I think chokers are the best dress uniform we have. Distinctive, comfortable-ish...

Camo flight suits? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAA!!!

Have you seen the AACUs? That's a legit flightsuit. While I appreciate the idea of chokers, they aren't functionally any better than SDBs.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kinda sad for an 'ol Sailor to sit back & watch what is happening/has happened to Navy uniforms today (formal, dress, working & flight). What was workable/affordable/storageable over the past century, has suddenly (last ~10 yrs.) become a confusing 'jungle' of weird color combos, multi color/pattern cammys, and saddest of all, the loss of AWGs and now losing SDKs.:(

During my enlisted tour on an ancient WWII Sub with absolutely minimal storage/per Sailor, we could manage to store our dress/undress blues, whites & dungrees. As an Officer on a 27C/Forrestal CVs, storage was sufficient for all required uniforms/flight gear, plus sufficient civvies to cover port calls. Our required uniform costs were quite minimal compared to what is required today. It's mind boggling to look in from the outside at what a gigantic MESS it has evolved into, after many decades of simple, utile and greatly respected & admired uniforms... both Officers & White Hats (do they even have 'dixie cups' any more?).

What happened to initiate all this need for change... was it jointness, or just change for change's sake? What say you, who have to live with the seemingly huge uniform array of today's Navy?:)
BzB

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Here is my thing.. We have VERY limited storage space for dress uniforms on board. The Enlisted Sailors have even less.

Why do we bring, oh, EVERYTHING on deployment.

I've had to wear my SDBs exactly four times ever underway. I can see bringing them. (3 embassy functions, Abrek's memorial service) I've never "needed" anything other than flight suits, but some squadrons (my E-2 squadron included) made you stand watch in NWU/Washed Khaki/AWG. Not ONCE have I needed Summer Whites, Poly Khakis, Dinner Dress anything, etc.

We just don't go out on liberty OCONUS in uniforms anymore. Any memorials/solemn stuff, SDBs.

I have had to bring every effing uniform I own except mess dress on both my P3 deployments. I wore NWU exactly once, khakis zero times, and my whites and blues stayed balled up in the bottom of my seabag.

I can see the logic of bringing green flightsuits, desert flight suits, and SDBs. Anything else is BS. This is deployment, not overseas Fashion Week.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
SDK's are gone? Good Riddance.

While we're at it, let's get rid of the blueberries, too. Go to the woodland NWU's stateside, desert ones when deployed to a desert location (ie not the heavy weight woodlands our guys wore in Bahrain) if you want a working uniform that isn't coveralls. Keep the off base wear regs the same (ie quick stops are acceptable in a uniform that isn't trashed).

Leave SDB's and Choker whites. Summer whites? myeh... I own enough polyester. Keep Khakis for O's and Chiefs and keep the Black and Tans for the E's...but require people to wear shirt stays or get their shirts tailored. You look like you have a fucking tan parachute hidden under your shirt, nasty.

Keep cracker jacks for traditions sake, but pick one or the other...why do we need both white and blue ones? Wouldn't Navy blue ones be good enough?

Get under armour/reebok/nike to supply some navy PT gear that isn't obnoxious and doesn't cost 60 dollars per ill fitting set... maybe get a shirt that's Navy blue with gold lettering on the front that says, I dunno, NAVY with some blue shorts that have gold lettering that says, I dunno, NAVY on them. Get rid of the goddamn "modesty" liner...I'm an aviator, there's nothing modest about me and if you don't want to see my package, then don't look at my crotch. Oh yea, make sure to put some reflective lettering on it so the E-8s who've gone air force native in the desert can still get their reflecto-boners.

I just replaced the uniform board and saved the navy a bazillion fucking dollars. FITREPPED...count it!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't understand why, since we're in the Navy, we just can look like goddamn sailors.

Cammies for all my friends??? No AWG's, SDK's!!! I'm hearing talk of getting rid of whites? I'm sorry, but for the "need" to be streamlined, there is also a large portion of tradition and history that goes along with being in a service, any service. Take that away and you immediately take away a portion of the pride of being in the service.

As an fyi, the boat and the storage on the boat wasn't designed for your Xbox, Ipod surround sound, hundreds of movies, your entire civilian wardrobe, and your blowup doll. If you take one of each dress uniform, multiple working uniforms, skivvies, and socks, you still have enough space for a few civvies and some odds and ends.

Hell, while we're at it, why don't we get rid of the Dixie Cups, since it's only worn a few times now anyways. That way, we can officially all look like every other service and not look like the Navy at all anymore.

Renegade One

None
Going out on limb here...but am I the only one that thinks Aviators (and ONLY aviators...) ought to wear berets?
With miniature wings, of course, over the large rank device. :cool: