• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Addressing an officer of unknown rank

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The Navy is easy. Three seaman rates, three petty officer rates, and 3 chief rates; and each rate has easy to recognize appearances. Stripes = seaman, crows = petty officers, anchors = chiefs. From there it's recruit, apprentice, full seaman; Third, second, First; Chief, Senior, Master. A real right brained system.

Those are ranks, which are easy, not rates.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can get by with the air force by calling everybody "Dude".

It's funny because it's true. Having done a couple deployments with USAF folks, I seem to remember that you could count the number of stripes on their shoulder, then add 1 to get their rank (E-whatever). Of course, in any public interaction with enlisted Air Force personnel, it is always appropriate to stun them with a friendly "shipmate" to put them off guard. :D Once in PSAB, after a USAF E-5 failed to salute in passing, I admonished him to "pull alongside there, shipmate." He looked at me like I was speaking Farsi. Hilarity ensued. :D

Brett

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
It's funny because it's true. Having done a couple deployments with USAF folks, I seem to remember that you could count the number of stripes on their shoulder, then add 1 to get their rank (E-whatever). Of course, in any public interaction with enlisted Air Force personnel, it is always appropriate to stun them with a friendly "shipmate" to put them off guard. :D Once in PSAB, after a USAF E-5 failed to salute in passing, I admonished him to "pull alongside there, shipmate." He looked at me like I was speaking Farsi. Hilarity ensued. :D

Brett

Speaking about the AF not understanding Naval Terminology...

When I reported aboard here at VANCE AFB, and showed up to medical for my physical and in-processing.... I put my Name and Rank down on the sign in sheet as requested. Now... they see a LOT of Ensign's here....

When the SGT came out to call me for my appointment, she looked slightly confused and called out "Is En-Sig-Kneh Edson here?" Pronounced it to with three syllabuls to rhyme: with Ben, Big, Nah

I almost was offended, but I almost wanted to die of laughter too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mefesto said:
"when in doubt, whip it out."

I got corrected at a gas station by a cheif, after I called him as such... and then he pointed out it was "senior"... fvck my eyes are going bad. Man did I feel like LT assh0le.

I swear that little star hides. I really have a hard time seeing it a lot of times. "Don't worry, Topper. I'm going to be your eyes from now on!"

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This makes me think of my ESG experience. Everyone on the ESG staff wore white turtleneck/t-shirt looking things and khaki trousers with no rank insignia whatsoever. Since they kept themselves locked away in the Ivory tower noone down at my level really knew who they were. We just started calling everyone "Chief"

After a couple "What's up Chief" to Navy Captains rank insignia started apprearing again.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Those are ranks, which are easy, not rates.

Actually, they are rates. Enlisted members of the Navy do not have ranks, we have rates. Job description built into the title (Electronics Technician, Gunner's Mate, etc.) are ratings.

Most enlisted members get through an entire career and don't realize this, so I don't blame anyone for not knowing it. Just spreading some knowledge.

P.S. (to the OP) A Senior Chief is not an officer.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
You shouldn't feel too bad about being confused on rank and proper titles. It's been over 3 years since I started OCS and I still mess it up. I feel pretty stupid because every time I see a chief in khakis I find myself staring at his collar devices until I'm about 3 feet away to avoid calling him the wrong title.
Also, coming from flight school where everyone I flew with was Sir or Ma'am into the FRS is pretty crazy. I still call the LTs "sir" half the time in the cockpit and even occasionally call the crewchief in the back "sir". Nobody has yelled at me or made fun of me for it. They all understand. Maybe occasionally you'll run into someone (I.E. SWOs) who get their panties in a ruffle over it, but most people are cool if you just ask. Even if you slip up and call them the wrong thing.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Actually, they are rates. Enlisted members of the Navy do not have ranks, we have rates. Job description built into the title (Electronics Technician, Gunner's Mate, etc.) are ratings.

Most enlisted members get through an entire career and don't realize this, so I don't blame anyone for not knowing it. Just spreading some knowledge.

Ok...go back and read what I quoted. Is Petty Officer a rate, or rank?

I'm shocked a prior would say that enlisted don't have ranks. If you're an ET2, your rate is ET, your rank is Petty Officer 2nd Class.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Straight from this Navy resource
The use of the word "rank" for Navy enlisted personnel is incorrect. The term is "rate." The rating badge is a combination of rate (pay grade, as indicated by the chevrons) and rating (occupational specialty, as indicated by the symbol just above the chevrons).

My rate is Petty Officer Second Class. My rating is Electronics Technician.
And my rank is Officer Candidate :icon_wink .

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Recruiting offices are pretty good about informing prospective applicants and being nice about ignorance of military rank/rate. They know you are civilian and most likely know jack about rank/rate.

When I first call I had NO IDEA what an Ensign was. After a few calls I knew to contact PS1 XX for this and that, and LT XX to fix that. you'll get the hang of it after a while. Always ask if you're unsure.