• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Addressing an officer of unknown rank

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Straight from this Navy resource

My rate is Petty Officer Second Class. My rating is Electronics Technician.
And my rank is Officer Candidate :icon_wink .

I stand corrected. However, then the ID cards are all wrong, because they'll say things like "Pay grade: E-5", and "Rank: PO2" :icon_tong

Apparently "rating" is what I thought was "rate" and "rate" is what I thought was "rank." If that makes any sense.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I stand corrected. However, then the ID cards are all wrong, because they'll say things like "Pay grade: E-5", and "Rank: PO2" :icon_tong

Apparently "rating" is what I thought was "rate" and "rate" is what I thought was "rank." If that makes any sense.

There may be a reason for that. I heard they don't have a "OC" option for IDs either. They probably just made a generic field for ranks/rates. My guess is the developer of the database was a civilian third party contractor and the final product had the generic field and they just didn't want to backtrack and include different fields. In my experience it's hell to rewrite a data table once you put a finished driver application on top of it (and bad coding practice).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
There may be a reason for that. I heard they don't have a "OC" option for IDs either. They probably just made a generic field for ranks/rates. My guess is the developer of the database was a civilian third party contractor and the final product had the generic field and they just didn't want to backtrack and include different fields. In my experience it's hell to rewrite a data table once you put a finished driver application on top of it (and bad coding practice).

I took a bunch of middies to get ID cards and although I don't remember seeing OC as an option, they did have midshipman.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took a bunch of middies to get ID cards and although I don't remember seeing OC as an option, they did have midshipman.
Okay, speaking of military jargon pet peeves . . . You're talking about a bunch of mids. A middie is something girls wear, not a person in NROTC or the Academy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, speaking of military jargon pet peeves . . . You're talking about a bunch of mids. A middie is something girls wear, not a person in NROTC or the Academy.

Correct or not, it's actually quite common parlance.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor

So why do they have midshipman, but nothing for OCS-types? Mine says "NON-PO" or something. No clue what that is.:confused:

BackOrdered

Contributor

You are right. I took a look at a STA NROTC cadets ID and it still had her enlisted rank on it. PDS probably doesn't see the purpose for making a rank option that will last no more than 2 years tops.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
So why do they have midshipman, but nothing for OCS-types? Mine says "NON-PO" or something. No clue what that is.:confused:

Because even though you're going through a navy-sanctioned college program, you're actually a junior enlisted guy. You're not an OC yet until you actually go to OCS or are in STA as a fleet accession. NON PO means you're an E-1 - E-3 "non petty officer."

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Because even though you're going through a navy-sanctioned college program, you're actually a junior enlisted guy. You're not an OC yet until you actually go to OCS or are in STA as a fleet accession. NON PO means you're an E-1 - E-3 "non petty officer."

Ah...see that was my guess, but then I thought, non-petty officer? I'm non-anything! I have had no training to rate anything...oh well. That makes sense I guess.

BackOrdered

Contributor

What does the OCSN,OC1,OC2, OC3 etc on the contract mean if you are not an Officer Candidate? Why not just put "undesignated"?